Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Top Dog

With my Golden,I dropped the food intake,by 1/2 a cup and increased exercise.
Replaced any treats,with toys which she loved.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:47 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Cut back on food and increase exercise.

Bodhi put weight on when we switched to raw. Its too hard to divide the packs up more than half so she gets a full pack one day (am and pm) and half a pack the next day (am and a TINY handful of biscuits in her bowl when Fred gets fed pm).

Also monitoring treats as that can increase without you really realising.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Big Dog

I'm trying to get Angel back to her high school weight, and I'm mostly reducing food quantity. She used to eat two cups of Earthborn Primitive Naturals with a half can of wet food (various brands). She's now on 1/4 can of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Senior and she gets 2/3c of the Earthborn dry. This sounds like a drastic reduction, but she usually grabs a couple of mouthfulls of Lucy's dinner (same foods, but Lucy gets a full cup).

Everything I've read about weight loss says that the important thing is to avoid EXCESSIVE fiber and carb fillers. High protein but lower fat content seems to be the way to go, as well as just general volume reduction. If your dog doesn't lose weight, you might want to have thyroid checked but give a reduced diet + exercise a few months to see effects.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Her first weigh-in last week she had gained 0.1 lbs and was up to 14.3.

Today's weigh-in she was at 13.8 and you can see an inkling of a waist. I dropped her to 1/3 of a cup a day as she is also getting a little bit more extra treats (though small) to reward her going up/down stairs and going outside on her own.