Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 PM
such sights to show you

Oh, I'm glad you found someone!

I've been trying to dig up the emails that we wrote back and forth spelling out the details of our plan, but I can't find it. I will briefly say that our problems were really rooted in Pip's anxiety. A combination of generalized anxiety, resource guarding me, and getting very aroused and disturbed by crazy Squash/Maisy play. With a dash of bratty teenager. So most of our behavioral modification centered around counter-conditioning to the youngsters playing, with a heavy dose of being careful about accidentally socially facilitating BOTH of the boys and removing myself from situations where Pip was resource guarding me. Also a lot of training sessions where they traded off down-stays and working with me (nothing in particular, just tricks or polishing rally skills), and a lot of mutual fun things like walks with my husband and I.

Inside the house, I usually still gate them apart from each other (fortunately due to the layout of our house we can do so without completely isolating anyone) because it is a small space with a lot of corners for everyone to get piled up and trapped in. But out in the yard and on walks everyone is getting along very well at this point and the boys even hang out and play with each other.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

Well Mu and Tipper have received their Christmas presents - something that is like clomipramine but starts with an A for Mu, and extra antibiotics for the McGee who looks like her eye swallowed a golf ball.

The vet said it would take about a month to see results from the not clomipramine so wish us luck! I feel pretty good about this.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Oh, I'm glad you found someone!

I've been trying to dig up the emails that we wrote back and forth spelling out the details of our plan, but I can't find it. I will briefly say that our problems were really rooted in Pip's anxiety. A combination of generalized anxiety, resource guarding me, and getting very aroused and disturbed by crazy Squash/Maisy play.
This sounds like Mu. She's very serious about her randomly made up and always changing rules, most of which center around inappropriate playing. I also realized yesterday that she has been very insecure about objects and people since we had the baby. I've worked on it a lot but so far I'm only fixing the actual object she's scared of, not fixing the fear of random objects. Hopefully the meds will help with that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Inside the house, I usually still gate them apart from each other (fortunately due to the layout of our house we can do so without completely isolating anyone) because it is a small space with a lot of corners for everyone to get piled up and trapped in. But out in the yard and on walks everyone is getting along very well at this point and the boys even hang out and play with each other.
That's so nice to hear! Like I said, I would be perfectly happy if they could be loose separately in the house but it would ultra super amazing if we could go beyond that.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Twin 2.0

Poor girls. I'm glad Mu was having a good day when I was there. Hope Tipper's eye heals soon and not-clom works sooner.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:17 AM
and Fozzie B!

Have you seen any behaviorists? I highly recommend searching PPG for a behaviorist/trainer near you!!! It can make a huge difference to get some one with a lot of experience and knowledge, looking in from the outside.

I don't blame you for not wanting to crate and rotate. I can't imagine doing it, either. :/ Props to people who can but I found it so stressful with my foster.

This is why I won't get more than ONE girl dog, ever! Lol. Bitches, especially munchkin bitches, are vindictive. My boys have never gotten into a spat... but any time anything has started to escalate, I got very serious about putting a stop to it. Body blocking and utilizing your own body language can really save you in a tense situation. Of course, idk if you've already done all of this.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie