Pre-Christmas Dinner

GipsyQueen

So I was all smart and decided to host a pre-christmas dinner for my friends. I invited 16 people expect like half to come, because it's on the 21st and most students are home already by then, right? wrong. :eek: EVERYONE RSVPed with a yes. So now my dilemma...
What the heck do you cook for 16 people that is christmasy, but doesn't break the bank? :p

I'm thinking about coq a vin (my aunt has an awesome recipe that she made for christmas dinner once, and it was awesome) and sides, but I'm open for suggestions. ;)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok, if it was me I'd go traditional because it can be very cheap!

I'd buy a large joint of meat (pork, beef or lamb goes further than chicken or turkey).
Roast veggies (parsnips, carrots, onion)
Fresh veggies (green beans, cauliflower, broccoli all steamed)
You could make a mash of carrot and swede.
Yorkshire puddings are so easy to make!! Google it ;)
Gravy. Use meat juices and granules, or meat juices, some stocks and whizz up some of the roast veg, yum.
Pigs in blankets are cheap (mini sausages wrapped in bacon).
Roasted potatoes! Yum.

Or I'd cook a smoked Gannon (ham) joint, and serve new potatoes and veg.

One of my faves (and SOOOO easy and cheap) is braised red cabbage with bacon. So tasty. I use this recipe, without the apple yuck!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...braised-with-apple-bacon-and-balsamic-vinegar

And ask everyone to bring a small dish of something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miakoda

I used to always do a Shrimp & Corn soup or seafood gumbo on Christmas Eve. Then again, I'm in Louisiana and a big pot of gumbo or a turducken is par for the course. :D

GipsyQueen

Obiously I posted this in complete tired-ness, because I totally forgot about this thread. :p

Thank you for the suggestions! :D I will probably go traditional... though I'm sticking to poultry, as I usually don't eat meat, and beef/pork/lamb goes to far into the meat-eating for me to comfortable a) making it and b) eating it. :p I've made chicken and such before, so I think that's a safer bet :p

Members online

No members online now.