Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Cynder update (ME)

Just thought I'd give an update on how Cynder is doing. Hard to believe it has been just over a month since she was diagnosed with Mega Esophagus.

We've finally figured out a feeding and medication regime that seems to be working for us. She is getting 3/4 can of Pro Plan Turkey and Potato twice daily, with Metacloprimide 30 minutes before each meal and Famotidine given with the meal. She eats sitting upright (in my lap) and I keep her elevated for 15-20 minutes after each feeding. So far, so good! We haven't had any regurgitation issues these past two weeks, and no nausea or drooling! A little spittle will come up every few days, but that's it! She's back to acting like her normal self.

She did have a bought of regurgitation the beginning of the month and she aspirated. We just started her on a course of antibiotics the next day to ward off any possible pneumonia and she felt loads better after those antibiotics.

Her weight has gone back to where I want it, which is amazing. She's always been on the lean side, and I think I may have even gotten to put a little bit more padding on her bones!

She's still able to drink water out of a normal dog dish and she's very good about sleeping with her head elevated when she starts to feel a little nauseous. Last night they dogs were sleeping on the couch while I played Fable II, and she gave a little hack, then moved over so she could sleep with her head on the armrest. Good girl.

We've also discovered that she can keep small soft treats down when given occasionally, which makes her a very happy girl, because now she can get a small treat when Abrams gets his bedtime treat. She's also still able to share an apple with me and Abrams when I eat one, as long as she only gets a small bite or two, which is a BIG DEAL because sharing apples is one of her most favorite things ever. Small amounts of peanut butter in a hollow marrow bone also doesn't cause any issues, which also makes her very happy.

I'm so pleased we've been able to finally get her stabilized. Gives me hope that we can keep her around for years to come. Now I just hope we can continue how we are!

Cynder says she lives a hard life (especially when I stop petting her to take her picture):

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 AM
such sights to show you

Glad to hear you've found a routine that works well for you!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Twin 2

I'm so happy you have a system that's working for you both! She's so lucky to have you, you've been amazing figuring this all out and getting her healthy again.

I hope it continues to be uneventful!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

That's awesome news! I'm glad you found ways to manage it, I hope it keeps working!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

Such great news! I hope your stress is decreasing as things are going smoother!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years