Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Mind if I ask... did you build your contact equipment yourself or buy it? This fall I took the plunge and started making jumps. I only made two because I wasn't 100% of the design. I'm going to make more in the spring. And the BF has promised to make me a table. I know a local company can get me good quality tunnels so I'm saving up for that. But the contact equipment... holy expensive!

Once we move somewhere more permanent I'm going to want a full set of equipment. I think BF can build it... and not that I don't trust stuff he builds but... my dogs are going to be ON this stuff! lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Vizsla mom

Hahaha ours is all made ..but the guy who made it is a carpenter. I'll see if I can scrounge up a video with our equipment in it.

Jumps are all made by Grant+ the A-frame& teeter you can see in the video& we have a dogwalk as well! All contacts made according to AAC specs ..trial approved. Table& jumps don't adjust, they just work for our dogs.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Nice. I'm jealous. Even when I do get equipment I'm going to be in the same camp... I'll have to find a horse arena where I can set up equipment because there's only about 5 months of the year that I can train outside. The one downfall to the north.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Nice. I'm jealous. Even when I do get equipment I'm going to be in the same camp... I'll have to find a horse arena where I can set up equipment because there's only about 5 months of the year that I can train outside. The one downfall to the north.
I feel you there! We get May- October. Gotta hate winter! Horse barns aren't so bad if you don't mind your dog eating poop, getting filthy& dragging it to the car, being frozen& having to setup/ breakdown EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I much preferred horse barns when I rode horses!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
I feel you there! We get May- October. Gotta hate winter! Horse barns aren't so bad if you don't mind your dog eating poop, getting filthy& dragging it to the car, being frozen& having to setup/ breakdown EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I much preferred horse barns when I rode horses!
Yes, set up is a pain. Just having to set up two crates every time is a pain! Which is why so far I haven't brought my jumps... I just use the horse jumps that are already set up!

Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Top Dog

A group of four of us have a barn rental one night a week, which is where I get most of my training done. Between the four of us (well, really the other three as I have nothing) there's a full set of equipment including rubberized contacts. I'm so incredibly lucky to have such good friends!

We also have a very active local club with a couple of training opportunities a week - in a barn in the winter and a field in the summer. So I have a decent amount of equipment time available, just not the guidance I would like. I have a couple of trainers I may try to get in with monthly; I need to see exactly how far they are from me and who would be willing to take something like that on. If I took one day a month to do a long drive, get a private, and come home with homework, it may be worth it. We'll see. I'm still planning.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Big Dog

My sister and I made most of our equipment. We just had the Shih Tzu x Maltese so some of it was built for them. We were given a Dog Walk that was used for small dogs and made the rest.

Last fall we purchased a couple of tunnels and a chute. I will be starting with Kris, my Dobe in the new year so some of the equipment would not be any good for her but we were lucky and found someone whose dog was not doing Agility any more and we bought a regulation A-frame, teeter and some jumps. The only thing we will have to change is the width of the dog walk which is not too hard to do, and we are all set for next year.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

There's a good idea! Try to find someone with equipment they're not using anymore....

Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Lucy wove in a trial, Lucy wove in a trial

This has been a loooooong road. We've had good days, days I could get it if I "fixed" them mid course, and days where she dramatically avoided them. We haven't had consistent weaves in a long time.

Finally, I asked my trainer and she commented that I slowed way down before weaves. "Well yeah, to help guide her in." "It's confusing the heck out of her, stop!"

Suddenly, we hit them all. NADAC Weavers courses have 3 sets of weaves. We ran two of those today, and hit all 6 sets perfectly first time through. YAYYYYYYY.

We're supposed to go back tomorrow but I did something (pulled a muscle?) and can't lift my right leg without shooting pain through my butt. Fantastic. Tomorrow might be a couch day.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 11-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

Yay Lucy!!!!!! What did you do differently?

Sorry you're hurt...what a bummer!!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador