Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Nobody has ever really even grabbed at my little super friendly cute fluffer dog and we're out in public a lot. People will approach sometimes but nobody runs at us, if I wanted to keep them away I easily could. I can't even imagine random strangers insisting on patting my dog despite me telling them not to and me not being able to easily just...turn around and walk the other way. I guess a regional thing too.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
i guess my dogs are not cute lol
I think your dog is very cute frost fell

I have stuck my arm out and physically stopped a kid, which kind of "snaps them out of it" as one famous dog trainer would say, then I imply my "NO!" Tactic

Old 11-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Puppy Dog

Poor breeding has led to some pit bulls being aggressive to people as well. This doesn't mean all pit bulls are aggressive, but some are...
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I was looking at the OP's siggy picture and that dog doesn't look like a pit or pit mix to me, he looks more like a hound mix

Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Obey the Toad.

Occasionally we will see people who want to touch the dogs while just out on a walk, but most of the run up to and/grab the dog incidents have occurred in places where I'd expect it anyway. Pet stores, drive in movies, festivals, farmers markets, and fairs are places I take Jack because he doesn't care if he is being grabbed at and often welcomes it. At the county fair one year a kid just walked up, grabbed handfuls of Jack's face skin on either did of his head, and just walked away...

Once at PETsMART a little boy ran right up and started petting Jack, face to face with him. The mother came running up apologizing, and said to her son "You don't ever run up to strange dogs--always ask before you pet them! But that dogs a chocolate lab so that's ok."

This doesn't mean that it is OK for people to behave like that, I just expect people to be idiots around dogs and assume that all dogs want to be touched.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I guess my asshole give is really big, or my dogs are not that cute ... Or it's a little of both lol, because most parents stop their kids from approaching before they can even get close to us ... Maybe it's because they think Josefina is some kind of coyote hybrid lol

With Izze it was I think because of her creepy intense way she would eye people xD ... I swear she did it just to freak people out.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 AM
and Fozzie B!

Is this the dog in your signature? He definitely has a fearful look in his eyes... I've met just a few Pit Bulls who were that way (out of COUNTLESS over the top happy Pit Bulls). Very nervy and quick to become defensive, and they had really nice owners. One was a bait dog, completely earless and scarred up, who showed that she was a really sweet dog after her very dedicated owner spent years working with her. I also know a wonderful, amazing Pit Bull owner who shows/works her dogs and has several rescues - including a little white girl, who is scarred from fighting and mange, but super cute. However, that dog is a walking timebomb. She took a chunk out of my co-worker's thigh for letting her guard down around her, she was walking to the other side of the playroom! That dog scares me, truly, but her owner is dedicated to managing her for life and I respect that and trust her to.

I'm glad you're seeing a behaviorist! No one here can tell you what to do with your dog, especially without ever meeting him. I will say this - if there is any question that you can't keep your dog fully contained and keep the public completely safe while undergoing the training process, PERSONALLY I would PTS to protect the public and the breed in general. Leaving him in a backyard unsupervised is not acceptable in my opinion. He should be kept from any strangers, watched with a hawk eye, and handled with absolute care and concern. NO pushy methods, all calm, non-confrontational, positive, and move at a snail's pace with him.

I couldn't handle it if one of my dogs bit me. I don't do anything to them that warrants a bite, but even if I did, I'd expect them to be forgiving. It's very sad when some one's dog bites them and concerning depending on what you were doing to receive the bite.

Honestly Gonzo was like that when I adopted him, he would definitely bite a stranger if they grabbed his collar. He bit a neighbor for no reason at all. He has come a very long way to being a well adjusted, confident dog who is safe with people. Anyone coming over used to be a massive ordeal. Now it's nothing! I highly recommend reading Click to Calm, that really really changed the way I viewed his fear aggression and it made me realize he COULD be a trustworthy dog if I just showed him that the world wasn't scary. I do believe that Gonzo is not well bred and has terrible nerves, but breeding isn't everything.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Something to be said here about a pot and a kettle...

There is absolutely nothing "rude" about anything I've posted in this thread.
I LOL'ed so hard.

I love you SS, even though I don't always agree with you. I do respect that you are committed to keeping your breed people friendly!

As far as DA... I wouldn't want a DA dog... that doesn't mean all DA dogs should die! But they should be controlled and managed. Funny how you never heard about Pit Bulls running loose and killing other dogs until you heard about Pit Bulls running loose and hurting people. I believe those are the same dogs, owned and bred and raised by the same morons.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I've had a child run up to Fred and grab his head once. All whilst yelling "can I stoke him!!!!!!!!". She'd obviously been told to ask first... Which she did whilst launching at him.

Luckily he just let her fondle him and I gave her a polite and friendly talk about how she should wait until people say ok or she could get bitten.

Now if that was bodhi.... She's not people aggressive at ALL.... actually she growled at my friend for the first time EEEVVVEEERRRR the other week, which I've never EVER seen before, but circumstances where a lot of people descended onto our home all at once, and this friend is very assertive and loud and went up to stroke her... Bodhi sat in her bed (which is unusual she normally wants to be centre of it to see what's happening) and growled at her. I was shocked, but NO MATTER HOW HUMAN FRIENDLY YOUR DOG IS, ALWAYS BE AWARE ITS POTENTIALLY THERE.... They were best friends later on. Interestingly Fred didn't like her husband either, was quite freaked out by him... But they have 2 cattle dogs at home and I wonder if they smelt funny or something.

Anyway as I was saying... Bodhi has never bitten anyone or shown any aggression (one growl in 8 years aside) yet if a child flung itself at her head I don't think she would be as polite as Fred... You can't be complacent!! I'd never leave her unattended with strange people or kids. Or Fred for that matter.

So glad we don't see people on our walks most of the time!!! People here generally ask before touching your dog anyway as they're rural and more used to strange farm dogs etc. I find it's cities and towns were people are less animal savvy.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I've had a child run up to Fred and grab his head once. All whilst yelling "can I stoke him!!!!!!!!". She'd obviously been told to ask first... Which she did whilst launching at him.

Luckily he just let her fondle him and I gave her a polite and friendly talk about how she should wait until people say ok or she could get bitten.

Now if that was bodhi.... She's not people aggressive at ALL.... actually she growled at my friend for the first time EEEVVVEEERRRR the other week, which I've never EVER seen before, but circumstances where a lot of people descended onto our home all at once, and this friend is very assertive and loud and went up to stroke her... Bodhi sat in her bed (which is unusual she normally wants to be centre of it to see what's happening) and growled at her. I was shocked, but NO MATTER HOW HUMAN FRIENDLY YOUR DOG IS, ALWAYS BE AWARE ITS POTENTIALLY THERE.... They were best friends later on. Interestingly Fred didn't like her husband either, was quite freaked out by him... But they have 2 cattle dogs at home and I wonder if they smelt funny or something.

Anyway as I was saying... Bodhi has never bitten anyone or shown any aggression (one growl in 8 years aside) yet if a child flung itself at her head I don't think she would be as polite as Fred... You can't be complacent!! I'd never leave her unattended with strange people or kids. Or Fred for that matter.

So glad we don't see people on our walks most of the time!!! People here generally ask before touching your dog anyway as they're rural and more used to strange farm dogs etc. I find it's cities and towns were people are less animal savvy.
you are shocked that your dog said "no, not right now"?
To change the world
To reach the farthest star
If we should stay silent
If fear should win our hearts
Our light will have long diminished
Before it reaches the farthest star"

-Ronan Harris, NVN Nation