Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
My sight hounds are generally good with other smaller dogs, but the example given was greyhound. Most greyhounds in this country never see a non greyhound dog breed in their lives, much less a small dog, until they're off the racetrack. For many of them they're already 4+ years old when that happens.
Yes, track dogs are a very different animal, aren't they? I would hesitate to tar sighthounds in general with the behaviour that some track dogs exhibit, though, as their rearing is quite unique and doesn't always promote mental stability. I've never seen the same issues in coldblood greys.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecatty View Post
Yes, track dogs are a very different animal, aren't they? I would hesitate to tar sighthounds in general with the behaviour that some track dogs exhibit, though, as their rearing is quite unique and doesn't always promote mental stability. I've never seen the same issues in coldblood greys.
Just like track HORSES are also a whole different animal that suffer with a lot lf the same problems as greyhounds (aggression/ lack of social skills with other horses, fearfulness of "different" looking horses like paints, Appaloosas and even palominos ).

So no I don't think that it's fair to Judge an entire breed or animal using racing animals as the "standard" for typical behavior.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I think you are being a bit unfair. There were only a few posts that suggested anything close to that...
You are right, I was. I'm sorry, I was just hurt by those comments.
I did contact a certified animal behaviorist, first evaulation (2 hrs) is $250, so I am going with that.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
That's exactly what you do. I've only done it twice, but in neither instance did the child persist after I've physically body blocked and yelled DON'T PET MY DOG, nor did the parents complain. They knew they weren't watching their own kids. Not in response to any particular incident, although Pip does have stranger danger and I'm not completely sure how he would react, but I don't allow kids to pet ANY of my dogs without my express permission and in a controlled manner. It's really not that hard if you are willing to stand up to people and be perceived as rude.
Try having a service dog accompany you everywhere. It's literally impossible to stop a determined human without laying your hands on them. I've had children and even adults duck around me, through my legs (kids not adults, lol) to reach my dog and physically touch him. I've gotten loud and rude, and people have gotten loud and rude back, AND physically pushy.

"What you do mean STOP!?! My son is friendly, he just wanted to say hi to your dog! If people can't say hi he shouldn't be in public!"

*megafacepalm*

And please don't say it's not because I wasn't assertive enough. It just . . . yeah. That definitely wasn't it. It would have taken putting closed hands on their bodies to make them stop. Not something I'm willing to risk when my dog isn't a bite risk and they're just being rude and pushy. I can't imagine having a high bite risk dog with people like that out there.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
I think that this is a case that could go either way. What the op needs to do is talk to a behaviorist, and then take a very hard look at things. Clearly the situation as it is has become dangerous. There have been multiple bites that are escalating. That leaves 2 options.
1). Op euthanizes the dog. This way everyones safety is gaurenteed, but leaves the op devastated and wondering what if.
2)op works with the dog, who may or may not ever be safe. They may live a happy life together, or he may bite someone else and be pts. There's no way of knowing.

The situation ks complicated by the living arrangements. Roomates not only mean themselves, but their visitos/family/friends coming over. It only takes one mistake.

Op, I think you're in a tough spot. To me, either choice could be correct. I love my Gambit, but living with a dog with his issues can be exhausting. Do you want to spend the next 10 or 12 or 15 years always watching and advocating? Only you can know when its too much.

I know the joy and the heartbreak of a dog like yours, though not quite as severe, so I would stand behind whatever you choose. I euthed one ha dog, and I kept the other. Both choices came down to me in the end, since I was the one living with it.

I wish you peace with whatever you choose.
This, so much this, it doesn't really matter if anyone who has posted in this thread knows that THEY could deal with it, what really matters is weather, you the owner can deal with it. Do you want to spend the rest of your dogs life on guard for him? Want to aside CAN you? You have roommates currently, is it possible for you to move somewhere with just your dogs? From the sounds of it much of his life is going to need to be controlled, from walk times (which you do already) to who is allowed to interact with him an how. Many people who deal with dogs like this don't go on vacations, ever, are you willing to do that? It can be very limiting to you as well as the dog.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

Well this thread has been interesting, to say the least. I have to say, I'm pretty surprised at the amount of people who think it's almost.. acceptable, for a dog to bite if its collar is grabbed..

For the record, I can't even begin to tell you how many times children have run up on my dogs without giving me much reaction time. I am so thankful that all of my dogs are trustworthy around people (FWIW, they are all extremely dog friendly as well). If I had any inclination that they weren't, they wouldn't be around long.

OP sounds like a responsible Pit Bull owner and I think she knows what the right decision is here.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullLove View Post
You are right, I was. I'm sorry, I was just hurt by those comments.
I did contact a certified animal behaviorist, first evaulation (2 hrs) is $250, so I am going with that.
What area are you in? That seems a little steep, for just an evaluation (and training plan?). How much are additional sessions, are you able to continue with them? Sorry, there are as many greedy and poor trainers as there are BYB. Just want to make sure you get set up in a program that will work, that you can afford to maintain.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Top Dog

PitBullLove, I wish you the best no matter what you decide. Whatever you chose, youíre damned if you do, damned if you donít in the court of dog folks opinions, so IMHO itís best to make an educated choice based on what is realistic for you and your unique situation and then just suck it up and do it.

Aside from wishing PitBullLove well, I just want to touch on the predation vs. aggression thing. Yes, predatory behavior lights up an entirely different part of the brain than aggressive behavior, however the end result is still the same. I sure donít think the media gives a hoot about representing that accurately in any of their reports of cute fluffy dogs being killed by big mean non-fluffy dogs with big heads.

And other than in cases where there are 14 dog experts watching the situation unfold, how sure can we be that those ďout of the blueĒ attacks where those docile family pets suddenly turned are aggression or a classic case of predatory drift?

Thing is, since the first wild canid crept up to the cavemanís fire (I donít know if it happened this way but it does in my mind, so bear with me), dogs have evolved alongside humans and are hardwired to have a natural inhibition towards biting humans. At the same time, dogs have never lost their predator genes. We have definitely tweaked those genes in to stalking, herding, retrieving, pointing, etc., but the predator is still in there.

Because of the above, to me, it will always be a bigger issue if a dog (of any breed) is not averse to biting humans than if that dog has no aversion to killing other critters including other dogs. And yes, of course I take in to account the kind of bite and the situation surrounding the bite.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Kung Pow Fish

i also want to interject, after reading this topic with interest for several days, that do not be so hasty to fall into the trap of thinking that teeth=aggression, like so many, ESPECIALLY pit bull people, do. especially in the pit bull/bull breeds, the mantra has gone from "they are gentle to people, vicious to other dogs" to a far-out batty "no pit bull should lay teeth on humans for ANY REASON!!!!!!!11one" which is unfair and unrealistic, as mouths are a major means of communication, and teeth are like hands. i would not, for example, treat a dog grabbing my hand in his mouth and "leading" me to his toybox, as aggression-punishable-by-death. we all see videos of people harassing their own dogs, oblivious to the whispers, knowing a shout (bite) is coming soon. imagine if we treated each other in the same way? deaf until somebody raises their voice, and then executing any people who shout. thats ALL biting is. A SHOUT. when nothing else worked, or when its warranted, its a raising of the voice

why would you kill somebody for raising their voice?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Top Dog

I can not imagine living in a place where everyone in the world is running up to touch my dogs. Is it really like that? Half the time when I take dogs out specifically for socialization, people just smile and make eye contact after looking at the dog. I have only once had someone grab a dog without asking, and it was an adult woman. Most tiny kids I see are scared of dogs, and once they are old enough to speak, they are better than adults about asking to pet them.

Perhaps it is a regional thing, like spaying/neutering, where the education has just really infiltrated the north-east. I'm trying to think of a time where a person has ever touched either of my dogs without permission, or would have had to grab them because of a slipped collar/getting loose. Nothing. The incidence above was when a friend and I took a puppy to an outdoor marketplace for socialization, and had our backs turned for a second looking at a menu. Not something I would do with either of my dogs, for various reasons, but a nice place to socialize a puppy.

I realize it isn't the main issue for the OP, just the comments that seem baffling to me.

And I do have a dog that I might have considered a bite risk if he was grabbed by the collar or picked up without warning. Gusto growled several times over such things, and would head-whip, although he never tried to bite. I did a ton of counter-conditioning, so now I can pick him up without complaint, and he plays collar grab games regularly. I expect he would not react if someone else picked him up as well, but to be honest, I just don't put him in that position.

I think the OP is doing the right thing by taking the dog to a behaviorist; these things are far too sensitive to be decided over the internet by people who have never seen the dog. I wish you luck with your appointment and hope it helps you find answers you are comfortable with, whichever way it goes.