Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Default X-rays

How many of you have dogs with orthopedic xrays? What was the reason? Were they sent out to be graded or just read in house?

I'm itching to get Gabby's done but since they're not necessary right now, I'm waiting until she's at a better weight because she'll likely have to be sedated for her hips.

/nerdiness
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie has had his done twice. Once (hips and elbows) was for OFA and sent in, mostly for sports info but also so there was more info on the record about his lines. The second time we were actually doing a bladder x-ray, but Doc always likes to set it up and get a hip x-ray at the same time so we can take a look at how the joints are doing (and they looked great.) I would actually like to have his wrists and elbows done again to see how they're looking, but don't have the spare cash to throw down.

Payton had hips and elbows done for OFA, both for sports and also because we hope to use him as a stud one day.

Pepper needs hers done if she's ever going to be bred... but I'm actually hoping she is never bred, so I haven't done them, and her co-owner hasn't asked me to bring her in to have them done. She isn't doing any sports either, so it's not as important to me.

Georgie needs her hips and elbows done for OFA but haven't gotten it done yet. I should probably call Doc and make an appointment for her... mostly for sports, but because there is a slim chance she will be bred too.

I will always do rads for my sports dogs, and sending them off to be read isn't that much more and I like to have that information out there in the database. I wish we'd done them on Happy since he was so messed up... I'd like to have known what was going on structurally in there.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 PM
such sights to show you

I do hips pretty much whenever anyone is under anesthesia for anything else, just because I like to know what they look like. I just read them myself/with my colleagues and run them by a traveling radiologist or surgeon when they're around. I don't generally do anything else unless I have a specific concern about it, although I'll probably periodically do Squash's lower back.

I have Maisy and Squash hips. So far I haven't needed to sedate Pip for anything, although I'm not really worried about his hips based on his activity/mobility and strength/muscling.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm planning to do Joey's hips and probably knees whenever I schedule a dental for him since he will be under anyways. I've been dying to see X-rays of his hips and knees for a while now.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I do hips pretty much whenever anyone is under anesthesia for anything else, just because I like to know what they look like.
This. Plus I like to make sure they are ok for high impact stuff.

Z had hers done before I adopted her officially since she was going to be doing agility, so was done without sedation. I know the vet said they looked great, but I don't have them and have since moved.

Kestrel hasn't had his xrayed because 1. our chiro and our holistic vet when we lived in SC both manipulated them and saw no reason to worry enough to get xrays and 2. He hasn't been under anesthesia since his neuter almost 5 years ago.

Aeri will have hers done whenever she goes under anesthesia, but hasn't had to to date. Hers will probably be submitted to OFA.

Snipe JUST had hers done today while she was under for her OSS. I have digital copies on a cd here.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I will always do rads for my sports dogs, and sending them off to be read isn't that much more and I like to have that information out there in the database. I wish we'd done them on Happy since he was so messed up... I'd like to have known what was going on structurally in there.
That's my thinking. It's $35 more to submit them. And I know OFA isn't the best (I'd really rather do PennHIP but it is significantly more costly) but it's a good base, I guess?

Buzz and Bailey were done because of sports (and Bailey's littermate brother was dysplastic).
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Lord Cynical

Right now, just Kaylee. She is in OFA for hips/elbows, since I did all health testing before she was bred.

Poison will have hers done eventually. No real need to do Talla's, and Jayne's would probably scare me. (Neutering too early really screwed him up.)

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

When we were x-raying Cynder to check for a potential intestinal blockage when her illness first started, her hips were in the view as well, and the vet said they looked gorgeous. (Also found out she has a bit of spondylosis in her lower back.)

I do plan to have Abrams hips and elbows done when he's around two. If I have them done by a vet I trust (may just bring him home over the holidays or some such and visit where I work now to have them done LOL), I'm not sure I'll submit them to OFA unless the breeder just wants me to.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

I"ve just done OFA. I'm not a fan of sedation unless necessary. I think you can get a decent opinion on hips without it.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Cross during his Lyme/lameness episode this summer was sedated and x-rayed. I had wanted to do it anyway because he's doing sports. Looked at pictures of his hips, knees, elbows and wrists!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador