Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Hurray Lola, Zuma, and Zinga! Well done!

What a nice debut for the little spotty dog

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

Wow, it looks like the video is sped up. She's so fast! Awesome debut.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Vizsla mom

Can't go back& edit my post ..here's our video from this weekend away!
Good weekend for everyone who was competing apparently Now, bring on winter training& March when Penn makes her debut!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Good weekend for everyone who was competing apparently Now, bring on winter training& March when Penn makes her debut!
Nice!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Well, we had our first practice today since the disaster-trial. And.... we all did AWESOME!

Sigh. Silly girls. Mia was.... amazing. My trainer just keeps saying when she's not afraid, she's really good. She also told me I run really fast compared to most her students (lololol, hahahaha)

Of course that has me thinking looking back at the trial, I was not running well at all. I think that was a problem.

I think.... I need to stop really wanting to prove something. It's silly. I want everyone to think my dogs are amazing but... they're already amazing. I don't need to rack up titles to prove that.

Mia's not ready to trial. I'm going to still take her and just not run her. I've also been told for the time being to not take her to petco or anything since it's freaking her out. She was so HAPPY tonight. When she's happy, she's so much fun to work with. I am realizing that 1) If I am unclear in my handling, she starts shutting down. We worked wraps and my handling was poor and she lost interest. 2) I need to reward more frequently for speed. She's figuring out sometimes there's no food and she still needs more rewards than I was giving her.

If we never title, we never title. But I know Mia is making me a darn better and more thoughtful trainer in so many ways.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post

Yay!!! Awesome job!

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:37 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Well, we had our first practice today since the disaster-trial. And.... we all did AWESOME!

Sigh. Silly girls. Mia was.... amazing. My trainer just keeps saying when she's not afraid, she's really good. She also told me I run really fast compared to most her students (lololol, hahahaha)

Of course that has me thinking looking back at the trial, I was not running well at all. I think that was a problem.

I think.... I need to stop really wanting to prove something. It's silly. I want everyone to think my dogs are amazing but... they're already amazing. I don't need to rack up titles to prove that.

Mia's not ready to trial. I'm going to still take her and just not run her. I've also been told for the time being to not take her to petco or anything since it's freaking her out. She was so HAPPY tonight. When she's happy, she's so much fun to work with. I am realizing that 1) If I am unclear in my handling, she starts shutting down. We worked wraps and my handling was poor and she lost interest. 2) I need to reward more frequently for speed. She's figuring out sometimes there's no food and she still needs more rewards than I was giving her.

If we never title, we never title. But I know Mia is making me a darn better and more thoughtful trainer in so many ways.
I think you are just the trainer they both need. You will get there, and I'm sure that things will start coming together soon enough!

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

Took me a few years to figure that out. Congrats, you're way ahead of me. ;>

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post

Took me a few years to figure that out. Congrats, you're way ahead of me. ;>
I think it is easy to get caught up in that thought that so and so started at the same time/after you and they're already at _______ level or whatever. And that so and so doesn't have to like my dogs or think they're super hardcore or whatever....

I had so much fun running Mia today and was a lot more aware of myself and what I was doing than I have been. Mia still needs things broken down more and that's fine. I'd much rather run a happy dog on shorter sequences than a stressed dog on a full course.

I've got to keep on and keep on reminding myself.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Top Dog

Class today.. Mimi is fantastic. She really is.. We're definitely both still green, but we're coming along. First course of the class.. we had a couple nice front crosses and a rear (go us, I suck at rears..). The last three obstacles were a triple, a tunnel in the corner and then the a-frame. I think this was a combination of inexperience and energy but Mimi must have jumped a good 12 feet in distance, and HIGH. I felt her at my shoulder, I'm 5'4". She BARELY made the tunnel since she landed so close and I'm thrilled it worked out the way it did without her crashing. We need to work on not overestimating the size of a triple jump. That or I need to redirect her energy. She just has so much fun running.

Second course we ran was more complex and included a number of lead changes which I struggle with. Also set up 6 V weaves. Our first run was scary good. I don't think I have enough confidence in myself or my dog quite yet.. She read my cues and I actually handled the way I should have. Second run wasn't as good. I got out of position and overhandled on the second lead change and was waaay too close to the jump. Mimi read it anyway and did what I asked. My trainer commented that she's going to save my butt when we start trialing. Love this dog.

Stayed late for the following Agility 1 class and played in the weaves with the class. Had a good talk with my trainer about how 2x2 may not be the best option for Mimi right now unless I can get out to the training facility on a regular basis since I don't have the space at home to practice her regularly. I'm going to see how she does with the WOMs a few times a week, then maybe go back to 2x2 if we need work on entrances...