Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Wow, she really does have huge nipples...

She flies!
They're much bigger in person
Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Puppy Dog

Nice video!

Great pictures of Ace, you can tell he really loves it.

Here is a quick video of Wiley from a couple weeks ago at the seminar I mentioned above. These are the two bitework exercises required for his Brevet (entry level title) the face attack and defense of handler (and then an extra face attack with a a second decoy is on the vid too).

Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Bite me.

Here is a video of my dog at 20 months, he's 24 now. We've done the BH already, and are getting ready for an IPO1. Not a fancy video, it's something I did for the breeder because I am lax on videos of this boy.

And here is the new dude, who's original owners wanted to sell at 16 weeks.

So soon I will have videos of Icarus...
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

If I raise this thread from the dead, will you guys come play with me?

Let's start with any thoughts on using harnesses vs. collars for protection work... My dog already yanks me forward slightly when I fire her up (I am standing with my feet planted wide and bracing the lead behind one hip, I'm just weak). I've heard that a new handler with a strong/intense dog should avoid a harness because it's too easy to lose control... thoughts? My dog does not cough, hack, or have her tongue turn blue while working but she does get bloodshot eyes. I'm started to wonder if maybe a harness would be better.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Show Dog

I use both a harness and collar, it really depends on what I'm planning to train in that session. If I am holding the dog back and the decoy is agitating them etc I think a harness is better and it makes no difference to the control I have, but my dog has pretty good self control in bite work. We did a scenario style training session on the bite suit the other day and she was off leash the entire time so in those situations I don't find it makes a difference.

Are you using an agitation collar? The 2 inch ones are good for bite work.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagle View Post
I use both a harness and collar, it really depends on what I'm planning to train in that session. If I am holding the dog back and the decoy is agitating them etc I think a harness is better and it makes no difference to the control I have, but my dog has pretty good self control in bite work. We did a scenario style training session on the bite suit the other day and she was off leash the entire time so in those situations I don't find it makes a difference.

Are you using an agitation collar? The 2 inch ones are good for bite work.
Yes, I'm using a 2" wide agitation collar currently.

We have good control and obedience around the decoy but are still doing certain exercises where she benefits from either firing up beforehand or doing some drag up work, especially for targeting on the suit. So while she's definitely not spending most of her time putting pressure into the collar, she does still fling herself into it pretty regularly.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Bitesports (Ringsports and IPO)

We use harnesses if the dog will be held back. I worry about the throat otherwise and I don't want to risk making bitework unpleasant, especially in drive building and grip work.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Show Dog

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Yes, I'm using a 2" wide agitation collar currently.

We have good control and obedience around the decoy but are still doing certain exercises where she benefits from either firing up beforehand or doing some drag up work, especially for targeting on the suit. So while she's definitely not spending most of her time putting pressure into the collar, she does still fling herself into it pretty regularly.
I personally would definitely use a harness in that case.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

We're not really drive building any longer, and she definitely isn't put off by the collar pressure, nor she seem to suffer any physically effects outwardly but I wonder with such a physically insensitive dog if damage being done even if she's not hinting at it yet... I may ask to borrow a harness from a club member to see how it goes.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

I usually work my younger and less experienced dogs on harnesses just to reinforce gripping behavior. I also typically have another line and a prong for control as we advance. So I think it depends on what you're working on. I typically don't use my collar and I don't have a lack of control with either dog on a harness. I think it just takes time to get used to using. And I've spent plenty of time holding back my almost 90lb male and psycho young female back too. We also will sometimes use the pole/post to tie the dogs on harnesses with to avoid any mistakes. I'm just not as keen to the idea of all the weight of the dog being put on the neck when it could be spread out more evenly with a harness.