Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

[QUOTE=SpringerLover;2319361]That's what dogs are for. To humble us. And to occasionally surprise us.

Every time I think Gabby's "sit" cue is well understood, she proves me wrong. I should be able to teach a dog to sit! :P

Also, we really need to go to a space to actually train one of these days, like for real...[/QUOTE]

You mean you don't like out little apartment training sessions?!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Glad to have another agility newbie here with me.
How long have you guys been doing agility?

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Top Dog

Trial this Sunday! I had started Zuma at level 2 CPE when she debuted, so regret that decision. She's still finishing up the last couple level 2 legs but is mostly in level 3 now. So Zinga got thrown in the deep end right away, she will be starting with her big sister in level 3 on Sunday! This will be her first real trial experience, her other debut was cut short because of a whistle during snooker (the only class she was entered in). Wish us luck!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

Good luck Zuma & Zinga!!!!!! Can't wait for videos!!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
How long have you guys been doing agility?
I took two beginner classes at one club starting this past January with Mimi then didn't do anything all Summer. Got Ezra in February, moved, switched clubs and about mid-August I started with a new trainer in a class above my skill level. LOVE the trainer and Mimi has really enjoyed the faster pace so we stuck with it and are halfway through our second class with her. I've also just started a "CPE Games" class that teaches the basics of all the games and gives us the chance to do 3 runs of the game we're learning that week which has been fun.

I'm really thrilled with this second club, getting 'voted in' next Tuesday! The members have been great, going so far as to invite me, as a newbie, to come out on a non-class day to practice with them and get help on some things I needed to work on. We've just recently started learning weave poles, but aside from that she does most of the obstacles pretty well, her main downfall is ME! Ezra is going to be a bit different, not sure how that'll work out quite yet but it should be interesting!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I took two beginner classes at one club starting this past January with Mimi then didn't do anything all Summer. Got Ezra in February, moved, switched clubs and about mid-August I started with a new trainer in a class above my skill level. LOVE the trainer and Mimi has really enjoyed the faster pace so we stuck with it and are halfway through our second class with her. I've also just started a "CPE Games" class that teaches the basics of all the games and gives us the chance to do 3 runs of the game we're learning that week which has been fun.

I'm really thrilled with this second club, getting 'voted in' next Tuesday! The members have been great, going so far as to invite me, as a newbie, to come out on a non-class day to practice with them and get help on some things I needed to work on. We've just recently started learning weave poles, but aside from that she does most of the obstacles pretty well, her main downfall is ME! Ezra is going to be a bit different, not sure how that'll work out quite yet but it should be interesting!
Sounds like you guys have made a ton of progress in a short time. That's awesome! That's great that the people in the club are so friendly and welcoming. One of our obedience instructors (at another facility) is in the agility club I'm training with, so hopefully she'll be welcoming at least if I'm interested in joining :-)

I think finding a good trainer (for any sport) is so important. I like that the place I'm at has at least 4 regular trainers, who overlap in classes they teach (so more than one person will teach an intermediate level class, for example). The woman I'm with now seems awesome - she's the type of person who would make a great kindergarten teacher because she's so upbeat and nice, but also good at teaching and modifying each exercise for the specific dog and handler. It will be fun to try different instructors as we move up and get the benefit of each.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Sounds like you guys have made a ton of progress in a short time. That's awesome! That's great that the people in the club are so friendly and welcoming. One of our obedience instructors (at another facility) is in the agility club I'm training with, so hopefully she'll be welcoming at least if I'm interested in joining :-)

I think finding a good trainer (for any sport) is so important. I like that the place I'm at has at least 4 regular trainers, who overlap in classes they teach (so more than one person will teach an intermediate level class, for example). The woman I'm with now seems awesome - she's the type of person who would make a great kindergarten teacher because she's so upbeat and nice, but also good at teaching and modifying each exercise for the specific dog and handler. It will be fun to try different instructors as we move up and get the benefit of each.
I can't take any credit for that, Mimi is seriously phenomenal in terms of training. She offers behaviors, she isn't afraid of anything, she doesn't spook easily (which is nice, considering she's launched off the teeter before...), she shapes behaviors easily and has wonderful focus.. I really can't get over how lucky I am to have her. She is really soft in terms of personality, as in, she gets upset and pouts if she messes up and I don't make a big deal about how good she is, but we work it out and keep things HAPPY HAPPY RUN!

I definitely agree with you on finding a good trainer... if you would have asked me if I would be sticking with it after my first two classes, I probably would have said "no". Mimi was bored, the single obstacle exercises were repetitive for her and she'd pull the sighthound "Screw you, I've done this 6 times already perfectly.. what the hell do you keep asking me for?" while others in the class were needing to work on it.

My trainer now is probably not for everyone.. she's all about the dog and I've seen her adjust her training style to the dog in the ring on a regular basis. She's less flexible with the handlers unwilling to take advice or try something new that may work better.. she had a little go-round with another member (all our classes are member taught), who was struggling, confusing her dog, and refusing to take anyone's advice as plausible.

This is the first day I HAVEN'T been at the club this week, oey! Monday was Mimi's Agility 3 class, Tuesday Ezra went in for conformation class, Wednesday was CPE games and yesterday I taught conformation and trained the Skinnies afterwards... I'm lame. I need more dog friends here!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
This is the first day I HAVEN'T been at the club this week, oey! Monday was Mimi's Agility 3 class, Tuesday Ezra went in for conformation class, Wednesday was CPE games and yesterday I taught conformation and trained the Skinnies afterwards... I'm lame. I need more dog friends here!
Yeah, I just realized I've been to a ridiculous amount of classes the past week. We had nosework on Saturday and Sunday (Sunday was a makeup class and over an hour away at another facility), fun obedience on Monday, conformation handling on Tuesday (gotta brush up for the show later this month), agility on Thursday, and more nosework again tomorrow. The agility place is about an hour from my house, so I'm glad that my regular training facility for all of the other stuff is only 10min away.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yeah, I just realized I've been to a ridiculous amount of classes the past week. We had nosework on Saturday and Sunday (Sunday was a makeup class and over an hour away at another facility), fun obedience on Monday, conformation handling on Tuesday (gotta brush up for the show later this month), agility on Thursday, and more nosework again tomorrow. The agility place is about an hour from my house, so I'm glad that my regular training facility for all of the other stuff is only 10min away.
Move to Ohio please? We can be training buddies.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Move to Ohio please? We can be training buddies.
Haha. But LostandConfused's Hudson is already bffs with Watson.

Plus I've spent enough time in rural Ohio to last a lifetime. I used to go to Willard for work all the time.