Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

Watson and I had our first agility class ever last night and it went really well. He was more engaged than I've seen him lately, with a minimum of sniffing and being distracted by other dogs. It went far better than I expected based on his recent obedience classes. And as always, he was extremely enthusiastic.

I'm really excited to try something new and I've had a good time reading some of the recent posts in this thread. I grew up jumping horses and a lot of the things I liked about that seem to apply equally to agility (except hands off).

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
I'm starting my boy similar to how I started Mimi, though he's working it out at a different pace. He's learning how to learn. How to offer up behaviors and think for himself. We've started target training (to potentially use for training contacts down the road), sit/down/stay and release words (for startline), and recall to hand for eventual handling use. We've done some work with jump stanchions without poles, turning on the flat and stood on a low board last night for the first time. I'm with you though.. I don't want to 'break' or ruin them due to MY inexperience!
I'm more worried about breaking her physically while she's still quite large! Hah. I definitely haven't done enough target work though!
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
I grew up jumping horses and a lot of the things I liked about that seem to apply equally to agility (except hands off).
I've found riding has helped me a TON with agility. One comment my instructor made was that I had very good spatial awareness in terms of the obstacles, and did I ride? Definitely interested in hearing more as you progress! Glad to have another agility newbie here with me.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I'm more worried about breaking her physically while she's still quite large! Hah. I definitely haven't done enough target work though!
Wobble board?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
I've found riding has helped me a TON with agility. One comment my instructor made was that I had very good spatial awareness in terms of the obstacles, and did I ride? Definitely interested in hearing more as you progress! Glad to have another agility newbie here with me.
That's good to hear! I figure stuff like correct jumping form, direction between obstacles, and planning how to run a course are very similar.

Watson just likes it because he gets to move. The boy is sick of sitting still in classes. Haha.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
How about working on her forward drive? Target work is one way, also using a tunnel and getting her to drive forward and away from you to a tunnel - can do the same thing with jump standards with no bar set. Tunnel work in general at this point could be done.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-08-2013, 12:07 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
I have a list in my mind of the foundation things I can teach Gabby without being afraid I'll break her or teach her things I'll have to modify later but... does anyone else have ideas?!

I'm going to start 2x2s, teach her about jump standards, and start working front and rear crosses on the flat. I don't want to do anything with quick turning or actual jumping.
You can start teaching whatever contact behavior you want with a flat board. Recalls, start line stays, low gentle wobble boards, hind end awareness (cavalettis, pivots, backing up).

Any place with a good list of young puppy foundation games would be perfect since they are designed to be gentle on growing bodies

Yay for Gabby!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If there is one thing that agility with Siri has taught me, it's that frustration gets you nowhere. And that having training friends close in invaluable. I swear every time I run into a training snag *ahem*allthetime*ahem* I ask Megan to come downstairs and watch. And she fixes my issues like...immediately.

Also, Siri constantly teaches me that I'm not as good of a trainer as I thought I was. Color me humbled.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Also, Siri constantly teaches me that I'm not as good of a trainer as I thought I was. Color me humbled.
That's what dogs are for. To humble us. And to occasionally surprise us.

Every time I think Gabby's "sit" cue is well understood, she proves me wrong. I should be able to teach a dog to sit! :P

Also, we really need to go to a space to actually train one of these days, like for real...
Old 11-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
You can start teaching whatever contact behavior you want with a flat board. Recalls, start line stays, low gentle wobble boards, hind end awareness (cavalettis, pivots, backing up).

Any place with a good list of young puppy foundation games would be perfect since they are designed to be gentle on growing bodies

Yay for Gabby!
I kind of just hit myself on the head for not looking at ALL THE PUPPY foundations stuff I have access to. Derp. I blame it on the lack of sleep this week.