Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Thanks for all of the chiming in guys! I'm really appreciating it.

Quote:
Luckily there's not much you need to do for a CAT, so the CA titles are very easy to get while you're working on other titles. You just let go... and catch the dog at the end. Simple as that.
Wow. I might have to look into it then! To be perfectly honest, the biggest obstacle I will have to get past is my own fear of letting go of the lead. Shiba owners are pretty much hard wired to fear off-lead situations. And while my guess is that he'd be obsessed enough with the lure, that it wouldn't be an issue, I'm not gonna lie, there would be some serious cotton mouth/sweaty palms/heart palpitations going on right before the run. Admittedly, I need to start some serious work on an emergency recall.

Quote:
This! When I met Sizzle and Sael at a dog event I wasn't prepared to let Gwen do coursing. Then they showed me how EASY it was and I decided that I should let her have a go at it. Logan taught Gwen to bark like a maniac while waiting and Sizzle and Sael taught me how to properly tie the coursing slip so I didn't like a (huge) idiot when I was releasing Gwen.
This really is making it sound so fun! I would love the chance to see Ringo fly, and I know he would have a blast...

Quote:
They can be so spectacularly naughty. Are Shiba's that naughty?
A resounding YES! LOL. It's one of the reasons I love them so much. Smart enough to learn whatever you want to teach in 5 minutes...and then ignore it at will.

Quote:
Joey is very affectionate. While he can be a bouncy nutter butter, he is also content to cuddle up with me in bed while I watch tv. As long as he can be by my side he doesn't care where we go.... unless of course squirrels happen... or rabbits... oh sighthounds. Sizzle made a good point btw... these guys get some SERIOUS air so high fences are a REALLY good idea. For the most part Joey wont try to jump a fence, but if he wants to he can easily scale a 5-6 foot fence with ease. I've seen him jump that high on multiple occasions.
I love the sound of Joey's personality. Shibas are very rarely cuddly (my current puppy is slightly more so than any dog I've had previously). For the most part I actually appreciate the independence. I love *other* people's Golden Retrievers, but I would never own one. That being said, I feel like I might enjoy the Ibizan temperament...as long as it's not a constant underfoot "look at me," "look at me," "can I help you use the toilet????" kind of thing.

What are they like around other dogs? Sociable? Mellow? Any tendency towards D.A.?

Also, I really appreciate the fence information. I currently live in a rental, so I'm dreaming of the day when hubby and I can get a place of our own with a fence. For the time being Ringo gets a lot of on leash exercise. I am PARANOID about fencing. Shibas tend to be escape artists (some diggers, some spectacular climbers), and I'm pretty sure my husband is convinced that the only way I'll be happy is if we're living in an Alcatraz-style fortress. Hotwire seems like a good idea.

Also interesting to hear about training. I tend to do a fair amount of luring with Ringo. In all honesty, a lot has to do with the fact that I second guess myself a fair amount as a trainer, and I'm constantly wondering if my bridges were timed well enough.

I am LOVING the photos everyone!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum View Post

I love the sound of Joey's personality. Shibas are very rarely cuddly (my current puppy is slightly more so than any dog I've had previously). For the most part I actually appreciate the independence. I love *other* people's Golden Retrievers, but I would never own one. That being said, I feel like I might enjoy the Ibizan temperament...as long as it's not a constant underfoot "look at me," "look at me," "can I help you use the toilet????" kind of thing. It's definitely not a constant underfoot "look at me" and "OMG I have to be in YOUR space" type of thing at all. My border collie mix is more like that, but while Joey likes to cuddle and likes to be near me he doesn't HAVE to be actually IN my space all the time. He is also content to spend time doing his own thing without me having to interact with him.

What are they like around other dogs? Sociable? Mellow? Any tendency towards D.A.?
He definitely isn't mellow around other dogs. I think he will mellow out a little more as he gets older, but he is still a fairly young dog right now. I haven't seen ANY DA at all in him and I can name the number of DA Ibizans I know of on one hand alone. He's very social and loves making new dog friends. Dog parks are a lot of fun for him. Usually around other dogs he is barking and trying to get them to chase him. He loves to be chased.
My answers in red.

Also.. lure coursing is a LOT of fun and definitely recommend you get out there and try it out. I was nervous the first time because I didn't know if Joey would come back to me. He surprised me and seems to have no problem with his recall when we are out on the field. I would definitely work on an emergency recall just in case... wouldn't hurt and it's always a good idea to have a trained emergency recall.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Shiba owners are pretty much hard wired to fear off-lead situations. And while my guess is that he'd be obsessed enough with the lure, that it wouldn't be an issue, I'm not gonna lie, there would be some serious cotton mouth/sweaty palms/heart palpitations going on right before the run. Admittedly, I need to start some serious work on an emergency recall.
If it helps... you are allowed treats and/or toys at the line to assist you in catching your dog. At least, that's what I've been told and have seen treats/toys used MANY times by other people running CATs.

Quote:
From what I've been told, there are certain lines that can be somewhat iffy with other dogs. But that's just what I've heard - not what I've seen.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

I am LOVING the photos everyone!
From what I've seen of the breed. They tend to dislike or like other dogs based on the other dogs. And from reading Ivan's breeders FB posts. They are super big clowns. They make Ivan look like a stuffy old fart, and hes far from that. None of her beezers have ever had a problem with being handed off to someone else to walk or hold.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Spanish Pup

I'm here to give my 2 cents, but keep in mind some things: While I own a beezer mix, she's only inherited the crazy intelligence and some quirks, so I don't have much personal experience. Thus, most of my info comes from interacting with beezers in adoption events (here in Spain, there's the common and unreal belief that they aren't good pets, and most of the adoptable ones have escaped from hunters or been abandoned and mistreated. )
Having said so...
-They are inteligent dogs. Really intelligent ones, but sometimes in a primitive way.
-They can shut down pretty easily, but when not, they are curious, funny dogs.
-They love standing on fences to watch around, with their rear paws in the ground and the front ones over a fence.
-They aren't exactly sighthounds., they can hunt by sight and by scent, but they are built like them, and their long legs and little paws allow them to walk without problems in bushy areas without getting tangled.

-Owned by Natasha, a podenco mix.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Active Pup

I have 2 Ibizan Hound boys. I also spend a lot of time with a bunch of other Ibizans as well. In my experience, Beezers are goofy, crazy, energetic, fun, affectionate, even-tempered, agile, sugary sweet (but not overly pushy), independent, noisier than most sighthounds (although in their country of origin, Spain, they are classified as primitive hunting dogs, not sighthounds), playful, focused, engaging, determined, versatile, and very, very athletic. They are clowns who love to entertain and are extremely adept at escaping (the breed can clear 6 ft from a standstill as if it is nothing). I find them to be among the most biddable "sighthound" breeds. My boys learn very quickly and, most of the time, are happy to please me. However, they are bred to be independent so they are extremely intelligent, good problem solvers, and not always in "I'm going to totally obey you now" mode. Be prepared for "what's in it for me?" hurdles in training. Positive training and play training work well. We lure course, straight race, and sometimes do conformation. We also work Renaissance Festivals with a group called The Hounds of East Fairhaven. I know Beezers who do rally, agility, and other events as well.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
From what I've been told, there are certain lines that can be somewhat iffy with other dogs. But that's just what I've heard - not what I've seen.
Cool. This kind of temperament is something I'm happy to work with. Shibas tend to be dog aggressive, so aggression in and of itself isn't a deal-breaker to me, but I'd rather stack the odds in my favor if I decided to bring a bigger dog into the mix with my Shibas. Sounds like researching lines carefully is a good way to go, which is what I would be doing any way.

Quote:
-They are inteligent dogs. Really intelligent ones, but sometimes in a primitive way.
Quote:
I find them to be among the most biddable "sighthound" breeds. My boys learn very quickly and, most of the time, are happy to please me. However, they are bred to be independent so they are extremely intelligent, good problem solvers, and not always in "I'm going to totally obey you now" mode. Be prepared for "what's in it for me?" hurdles in training. Positive training and play training work well.
This is right up my alley. Shibas are very independent, and a lot of people used to training biddable dogs get REALLY frustrated and assume they're stupid, when the reality is that nothing could be further from the truth. They learn really quickly. And then they decide whether or not what you're asking them at that particular moment suits their needs. (The answer is usually "no" LOL). I enjoy training challenges, so that kind of attitude doesn't bother me, and "troubleshooting" new behaviors is part of the fun. I am a big fan of clicker training. My biggest issue with it is my own lack of finesse and/or confidence in bridging behaviors, but the progress has been pretty satisfying with my current puppy. So either I'm getting better, or he's just a LOT smarter than me (I try not to spend a lot of time dwelling on that).

Your dogs are gorgeous, BTW. Can you give me a rundown of straight racing?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Active Pup

Straight racing is LGRA. I'll give you a quick summary, but there is more to it and the link that I provided will take you to their website. The dogs race 200 yard sprints. The first dog to cross the finish line wins, followed by 2nd, 3rd, etc. They run 3 heats and each one corresponds to a score. The dog with the highest combined score of the day wins. They have grades too, to compensate for faster and slower dogs, although with some breeds there aren't really enough dogs to run grades in some places. There are so few Greyhounds and Beezers running in this area that they don't run graded here.They can earn a title: GRC (Gazehound racing championship).
Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Active Pup

Finnegan (still a puppy here) and Nova

They are very, very goofy creatures.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Just wanted to say that I love the beezer pics! I have a sighthound obsession. Are those whippets or greys in that last pic? They are beautiful! (As are the ibizans!)

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)