Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I think there is a lot to be said for genetics, but there is also a lot that can be done as far as home dental routine goes.

Frodo had his first dental at 5 when he broke a tooth. Now he will have another one at 7 (or he might be 8 by the time his eye heals so we can do surgery), again because of a broken tooth. If I keep up with him on weekly raw bones, brushing twice daily with CET toothpaste, Plaque Off daily and PetzLife gel then I don't think he will need another one ever. But if I stop doing stuff at home, it only takes like a week for buildup to start. I had scheduled his dental and then stopped doing home care because at that point, what is the point? lol and then about a week or two later his eye ulcer happened and we had to scratch his dental. In those two weeks he already had a ton of buildup which I am working diligently on now. It's frustrating.

Siri started getting buildup at around 6-7 months old and I've just finally figured out what home care routine keeps her teeth pearly white. She gets raw bones, but what really makes the difference is brushing with the CET toothpaste twice daily and using Plaque Off.

So essentially, both of my dogs have pretty bad buildup issues and would likely need yearly dentals, but I put a lot of $$ and effort into daily home maintenance because I'd prefer to take care of it at home rather than put them under so often.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I think there is a lot to be said for genetics, but there is also a lot that can be done as far as home dental routine goes.

Frodo had his first dental at 5 when he broke a tooth. Now he will have another one at 7 (or he might be 8 by the time his eye heals so we can do surgery), again because of a broken tooth. If I keep up with him on weekly raw bones, brushing twice daily with CET toothpaste, Plaque Off daily and PetzLife gel then I don't think he will need another one ever. But if I stop doing stuff at home, it only takes like a week for buildup to start. I had scheduled his dental and then stopped doing home care because at that point, what is the point? lol and then about a week or two later his eye ulcer happened and we had to scratch his dental. In those two weeks he already had a ton of buildup which I am working diligently on now. It's frustrating.

Siri started getting buildup at around 6-7 months old and I've just finally figured out what home care routine keeps her teeth pearly white. She gets raw bones, but what really makes the difference is brushing with the CET toothpaste twice daily and using Plaque Off.

So essentially, both of my dogs have pretty bad buildup issues and would likely need yearly dentals, but I put a lot of $$ and effort into daily home maintenance because I'd prefer to take care of it at home rather than put them under so often.
Yeah, this ^ is pretty much me too. lol.

I don't really have a "set time" for when I'm going to do a dental on Jackson. Ideally, I'd love to avoid another for a long time. But it's really up to me being really diligent because the genetics are not on his side.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
But HealthyMouth is the only water additive I'd use or trust. It's been tested and trialed and VOHC approved which is a pretty big deal.
Absolutely. I recommend Healthy Mouth for all my patients with oral health issues. It's safe, effective, and easy. Biggest problem for dogs with oral health issues is owner compliance. There are some people who are just not willing to, or unable to remember to, brush teeth daily. The water additive is so hassle free for those people. I even use it for my guys so that if I have a random day where I wasn't able to brush their teeth one night I don't have a panic attack about it. Lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM
BusterLove

Never. Buster is 11 and Quinn is 3

Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer has had 3 dentals in her life. I really wish I would have done her last earlier so she didn't lose so many teeth. I feel really bad now because they had to pull quite a few. The only reason I put it off was because of how poorly she reacted to anesthesia before and how close I came to losing her during something very routine..

Mia is almost 5 and is nowhere near needing a dental at all. She has a touch of buildup but it is very minor and with brushing, I think it will come off. By that age, Summer had had one dental and was working on needing a second. When I got her at 4 her teeth were really really bad and I think that early teeth issues really caused a lot of her problems. One major problem this last dental was a broken/abscessed tooth and it and the teeth around it had to be pulled.

Toy breeds definitely can be prone to dental issues but it's still up to the individual. Summer's dentition was MUCH nicer than Mia's (Mia is naturally missing teeth) but her teeth just get buildup much faster. I think if I keep up with Mia's there's a good chance she will never need a dental. I really do think the fact that Summer came to me at 4 already with some gum erosion was a big part of her issue.

Last edited by Laurelin; 10-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
For a toy breed who builds up tartar quickly, hand scaling while awake is largely cosmetic but isn't going to address any periodontal disease brewing under the gumline.
That would be my concern as well.

Bailey has had three dentals, she's almost 14 years old. She has needed all three of them despite being a 'good' chewer. She lost the gentic crapshoot on oral health. Her first was just a very routine cleaning, but she was barely 2 years. Her second was because of a fractured PM4. Her third was done because she had the nasal drainage and since she was going under anyways... they found a bad tooth on xray. My mom was really good about oral care right after her dental but Bailey already has build up on the molar underneath the PM4 she's missing. Her gums look fabulous though, so that's something.

Buzz has never had a dental but has had two teeth extracted.

Gabby has had one dental and is missing a couple teeth now.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie will be 8 in November and I've decided I'm going to schedule him a dental in February during national pet dental month. Last year they told me he has good teeth "for a sheltie" and he very well could go longer... but I kind of want to get him done now instead of waiting longer and having him be older. If he's eight and doesn't even really NEED it yet, I mean... he could be a very long lived dog... but let's say that takes him to 16, and he might not even HAVE teeth anymore at that point. =P

I will say stuff like the dental gels and bully sticks and scaling does help the appearance of teeth and the gums, but as pointed out, no surface stains doesn't mean the dog has perfect dental health.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

Julian was 10 before he ever needed a dental. Newt has to have a yearly dental because she apparently has poor oral health genes. Nog, in spite of his squish face, has wonderfully white teeth

Only one of our cats has needed a dental
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 PM
On second thought...

Neither of my dogs are toy breeds, so I've been thinking that this year will be the year. Unfortunately a quick search hasn't yeilded any vet dentist options in new hampshire where I live. Cam is going on 6 and duncan is 4

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Top Dog

Tucker is three and has not had a dental yet, but my parents refuse to brush his teeth (even though he's perfectly happy to have them brushed), my mom says she's not good at it. He builds up plaque pretty fast though and I notice a huge improvement when I'm home and brushing them on a regular basis. I think he'll end up needing a dental when he's older.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!