Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Well. . . ?
YES I think it's cool! 9 23.08%
I'm purchasing one on eBay as we speak. 4 10.26%
I've already stolen Didgie and Brooks to breed my own. 6 15.38%
I like them, but I would definitely say it's irresponsible if I'm posting on an internet forum. 4 10.26%
I think it's cool but really irresponsible/horrible/BYB-ish. 11 28.21%
I would flame you if you got one. Actually, I'm flaming you in the comments right now. 0 0%
Pumpkin caramel swirl cookies 16 41.03%
Tinned kippers 2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Top Dog

Extra cute There is a merle miniature Poodle/mix that comes in to my workplace. He's a cute, happy little guy.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Taxiderpy

Not a big fan of long coated merle dogs, but the smooth coats? *swoon* More than the merle, it's the blue eyes that get me. Every time.

Especially bully types. GIVE MEH ALL TEH BULLIES!

Those eyes. <3 I think these are pure bred houlas, but still.

*dies*

ETA:

This one is for you Nolu
Old 10-27-2013, 04:03 AM
and Fozzie B!

I am so happy to see my Nolu! ALWAYS bringin the controversy and baked goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
I have to say that as a groomer, I loathe most doodles. Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. We see so many with health issues, NASTY temperaments and allergies. Most of them have more of the poodle coat around here. It is just gross. I seriously have no idea why people consider them a "breed" as they're NOT. They're mutts. Plain and simple mutts.

The merle coloring is cool looking but........just what the world needs more ill temperamented doodle type dogs.
I agree with this. Sadly, I haven't met a Doodle who didn't have the grossest ears ever and at least one nasty hot spot. D: I have a groomer co-worker who thinks her "Doberdoodle" is the most exquisite dog alive. She's a cute, awkward muppet dog... nice enough but worth breeding? No.

All of the Doodles I know are socially awkward, flighty and bark like there's no tomorrow. It's funny how dogs look at them like *sigh... you're dumb* I feel like Poodles are a particular breed and don't necessarily mix well with most other breeds. I haven't met any aggressive Doodles, though! Still they aren't my cup of tea.

Merle Poodles are beautiful! So are partis! I much prefer to see people breeding different colors/types in a breed rather than trying to create a random breed (especially from two breeds... that is not possible!) I'd only buy a Standard if I could dye them, and it would be tricky to dye a merle dog. Working in the dog industry has taught me not to judge people based on what dog they buy and from whom. All I can say is what I would want.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I am not ashamed to say that I love doodles. By far the vast majority of the ones I've met have been giant sweet clowns. They need their manners held in check for sure and their energy could power a small city, but sweet nonetheless.
Actually we met a goldendoodle yesterday at the bike trail. Sweet dog, not anxious or hyper at all, and she had a super soft coat.

The issue I have with people deliberately breeding for an exotic (and not normal for the breed) color is what's being sacrificed in the process? I get that color is often a factor in breeding, and that's fine if done right, but I have to wonder how well it can be done when the primary focus seems to be color. I see this a lot with horses too. Frankly, I don't care what color the horse is-if it has temperament issues, is a conformational mess, and only bred for OOOO-PRETTY COLOR that horse is very likely to have issues later in life and eventually become unwanted. There are MANY beautifully marked paint horses out there that literally have nothing going for then other than their color.

I guess with me, I would much rather see someone cross breeding two breeds with an actual goal in mind than see someone try to breed merle poodles because they want a different looking poodle.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Last edited by sillysally; 10-27-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I am so happy to see my Nolu! ALWAYS bringin the controversy and baked goods.

I agree with this. Sadly, I haven't met a Doodle who didn't have the grossest ears ever and at least one nasty hot spot. D: I have a groomer co-worker who thinks her "Doberdoodle" is the most exquisite dog alive. She's a cute, awkward muppet dog... nice enough but worth breeding? No.

All of the Doodles I know are socially awkward, flighty and bark like there's no tomorrow. It's funny how dogs look at them like *sigh... you're dumb* I feel like Poodles are a particular breed and don't necessarily mix well with most other breeds. I haven't met any aggressive Doodles, though! Still they aren't my cup of tea.

Merle Poodles are beautiful! So are partis! I much prefer to see people breeding different colors/types in a breed rather than trying to create a random breed (especially from two breeds... that is not possible!) I'd only buy a Standard if I could dye them, and it would be tricky to dye a merle dog. Working in the dog industry has taught me not to judge people based on what dog they buy and from whom. All I can say is what I would want.
If I keep everyone's mouths full, they can't call for my demise.

Could that be a local thing? Or a food thing?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Not a big fan of long coated merle dogs, but the smooth coats? *swoon* More than the merle, it's the blue eyes that get me. Every time.
I like spots, patches, ticking, merle-anything spotty! Blue eyes too. Catahoulas are gorgeous to me, though not big into the cur temperament.

Those poodles are neat, but if it's long haired, I prefer merle with some chrome-merle/white/tan. Not a huge fan of bi-merle, and not really a fan of heavily merled faces. Like this..the dog is cute, but not preferable IMO.

These markings are gorgeous to me..

Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

I think they're neat looking! But yeah, I think Merle is popping up in them due to Merle breeds being used to create Merledoodles. It does not take long at all to get breed type back from a single outcross. Check out the Bobtail Boxer project. Within 3 generations, you'd never ever guess those dogs had corgi in the pedigree.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Kung Pow Fish

alright so the dog pictured at the start of this thread is an F1 "aussiedoodle" and i have looked around and found other merle poodle things that are OES mixed, but it mostly seems to be aussie in standards, and chi in minis. and yes, poodle coat type would be easy to get back, and provided you used good health and structure, your merleadoodles could be typey and correct within 5 generations. now if you could get GOOD show poodle hair is another thing, even POODLE breeders struggle with good spongy thick coat. all the merle poodle pictures i have seen show at best, limp "pet poodle" coat, and at worst, sheepdog or doodle hair, loose shedding waves

genetics are ****ing fascinating
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I like spots, patches, ticking, merle-anything spotty! Blue eyes too. Catahoulas are gorgeous to me, though not big into the cur temperament.

Those poodles are neat, but if it's long haired, I prefer merle with some chrome-merle/white/tan. Not a huge fan of bi-merle, and not really a fan of heavily merled faces. Like this..the dog is cute, but not preferable IMO.

These markings are gorgeous to me..
Im funny about my merle, I only like trim in red merles, never black or blue or any other color. I actually really dig the multicolor patches that catahoulas throw often, whatever they call it

BE STILL MY HEART
Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

It's on my phone so the picture is little but the catahoula looks like a regular old Merle with dilute spots. Having some dilute patches is fairly common with merling.

Also the way your post was worded bugs me, there is blue and red Merle and I'm not sure what black Merle is supposed to be referring to.

Tweed Aussies make my heart flutter, not a standard color but god can it be gorgeous.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet