Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I was looking at this too, there are virtually no ACDs being shown up here :/. There IS a Facebook group for building majors in my breed, everyone tries to attend the same show, which I would have to utilize if I wanted to finish (unless I managed to win groups).
I just found the FB group for my breed and it's awesome (previously I relied on my breeder to tell me which shows to attend). I was so close to getting both majors done at our last show, but it looks like there might be some more in November.

I do still think a rare breed is easier, as long as you can find some competition. Many dogs finish in my breed by 13-18 months if the owner gets out to shows, while in some breeds you don't have a chance until the dog is 2 or 3.

Watson - Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
I just found the FB group for my breed and it's awesome (previously I relied on my breeder to tell me which shows to attend). I was so close to getting both majors done at our last show, but it looks like there might be some more in November.

I do still think a rare breed is easier, as long as you can find some competition. Many dogs finish in my breed by 13-18 months if the owner gets out to shows, while in some breeds you don't have a chance until the dog is 2 or 3.
I'm still trying to decide if I want to pursue conformation, I'm so..in the middle. There's the 4-6 month puppy class, no pro handlers, and a big show Thanksgiving weekend...Fiona will be four months that day. Considering entering but then again..I only have four weeks to get to that point. I'm half heartedly working on stacking but I'm still undecided. I would need a show lead and show clothes of which I have none..ack.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Big Dog

Don't be nervous.
Watch breed videos from westminster. Most handlers there do a decent enough job that you can try to mimic the things they do.

Get a mirror. If you can't go to handling class stack the dog in front of a mirror and see what poses look good with the dog. See what looks best for foot placement.

I've been showing my whole life and had major issues running because I grew really tall really quickly. So many different people tried explaining to me how to run, sophomore year I went to my high school cross country coach and started doing practices. My coach taught me proper form and it's how I run in the ring now. I'm assuming you're not in school and can't do this but you can watch videos on line of proper form. It helped me so much. Stand up straight. Take long steps. Keep your shoulders forward.

Make sure you get to the show plenty early. You don't want to stress about time while stressing about showing.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
and a big show Thanksgiving weekend...Fiona will be four months that day. Considering entering but then again..I only have four weeks to get to that point. I'm half heartedly working on stacking but I'm still undecided. I would need a show lead and show clothes of which I have none..ack.
There is a puppy match that friday at the lansing shows (thanksgiving weekend). As far as show leads if her owner doesn't have one, you can wait until the show to get those. And for show clothes go to Goodwill or any second hand store. You can also check on ebay. What size do you wear? I have a bunch that I don't use or can't fit into anymore.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide if I want to pursue conformation, I'm so..in the middle. There's the 4-6 month puppy class, no pro handlers, and a big show Thanksgiving weekend...Fiona will be four months that day. Considering entering but then again..I only have four weeks to get to that point. I'm half heartedly working on stacking but I'm still undecided. I would need a show lead and show clothes of which I have none..ack.
The show in W Springfield? We'll be there Saturday and Sunday. You should go!

For show clothes I just wear a skirt and top that I might wear to work. No suits or anything. Show leads are like $10 online, so you can order one and get a nicer one later. Mine is super cheap, but I'm keeping my eyes open for one I like.

Watson - Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12

Last edited by Elrohwen; 10-25-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:26 PM
F150 and a .30-06

You can pick up leads at the shows too. You don't need anything fancy. Solid color should do it. Personally I prefer the chain collars but if you can get a nice one that matches your dog and its the cord material that's fine too.

You can get some really nice kangaroo leather show leads on Etsy.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
You can pick up leads at the shows too.
This is what I did. Just showed up! I did go to handling class though and was able to borrow a lead to practice in class.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer

Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

The contract for my ACD in a few months says I have to Ch her by 2. I don't think it should be too terribly difficult. My breed isn't insanely popular, but we do have some decent competition around here. Unless she turns out just phenomenally stellar, I highly doubt I will go for a Grand Ch.

I've been trying to find Westminster show clips on Youtube and it's not going well. I can't find any decent video of people running around, tbh.

The mirror idea is really good! I will definitely have to try some in front of the mirror.

I plan on basically spending my entire weekend at this dog show to watch/learn and so that I don't miss my class. I hope to God I'm not in first.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
The contract for my ACD in a few months says I have to Ch her by 2.
I'm curious... what does that mean? Kili has been to 4 shows and no points. I mean, if the dog isn't placing even if you're showing... I just don't get that statement. If you show her but don't get the Ch by two then what? Just seems like a weird ultimatum....

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer

Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
I'm curious... what does that mean? Kili has been to 4 shows and no points. I mean, if the dog isn't placing even if you're showing... I just don't get that statement. If you show her but don't get the Ch by two then what? Just seems like a weird ultimatum....
I also wonder this ..is it common for this to be a thing? I know my breeder requires a Ch& hunt titles before she hands over the breeding rights to a dog. There's no time limit though. Just before it pops out/ creates baby dogs!