Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
Himalayan chews are ok. The last two I had didn't last very long, and I'm always afraid he'll swallow the bit at the end. With bully sticks I use a clamp to make him chew to the end, but I can't figure out what to use on a Himalayan chew. He'll swallow anything smaller than 5" usually.
Have you tried microwaving the end? It doesn't last as long as the normal HC, but it puffs up into a crunchy treat. Once my two get theirs down small enough to choke on, I nuke the 'butts'.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

I don't really give my dogs many chews. Especially now that I am coming up on my last two days at the pet food store I work at. No way will I be able to afford to pay real prices for a half hour (or less) of my four dogs' happiness haha. Except for special occasions maybe.

That said, if I do give them chews, I make sure to get the thickest bully sticks I possibly can. I actually did have some last year that were awesome and lasted days, which is unheard of in my house. But I don't know why they were so tough and I've never had that luck again. Any other chews, and even regular bully sticks, are just a waste of money. I just buy them occasionally to give them something different/as a special treat.

I do have whole Elk Antlers laying around the house, though. I do worry about hard chews, but my dogs love to chew and I don't want to take that away from them. Other than that, I give recreational raw bones (usually knuckles) regularly, which again are hard, but I feel like the pros outweigh the cons for my dogs. Dance broke a molar, but that's been my only bad incident, which compared to the amount of hard chewing she does (and she is my toughest chewer), one incident wasn't enough to sway me too much.

But yeah, other than raw bones and antlers and the rare bully stick, my dogs don't get much in the way of chews.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Frozen soup/marrow bones last a few hours for Brooks, about 45 minutes for Goose,Aesop and Julian, and a few hours for Newt and Nog.

Bully sticks last about 20 minutes with the slowest chewers

Brooks gets rawhides now and again..the chips last about 15 minutes, he has a retriever roll thing that's lasted over a week so far and he nibbles on it here and there

Pig ears/various dried body parts last 10-15 minutes, same with frozen chicken feet.

Brooks consistently gets diarrhea from raw foods, so he can only have the tiniest amount. Thus, he's the only one who gets rawhides, etc. The last time he ate two chicken feet in a 48 hour period he had uncontrollable diarrhea for days and had to go on meds. Sigh.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Have you tried microwaving the end? It doesn't last as long as the normal HC, but it puffs up into a crunchy treat. Once my two get theirs down small enough to choke on, I nuke the 'butts'.
I have, but only when it's little. It's still quite large when I take it away from him and I'm nervous about putting it in the microwave. Maybe I think it will explode or something? Haha

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

I don't give antlers, marrow bones, meaty bones, etc because Zander is a tough chewer and will fracture every molar and still chew through. He's done that, actually, so he doesn't get chews often.

Duck feet last about 30 seconds. Crunch, crunch, swallow.
Bully sticks can last 20 minutes to a week depending on how often he chews or if I limit him.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

We give him raw marrow bones from the butcher. They last anywhere between 1-3 hours, depending on the size or when we take it away because he's being too obsessive.

DH is freaked out about nylabones & Crossbone eating plastic.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Frozen kongs last about 10 minutes

Smart bones l last 5-10

Raw meaty bones last 10-15 minutes

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

I now need to try microwaving Himalayan chews. I had never heard of that!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Oh, she gets moose antlers and cow hooves too. THe antlers last anywhere from 2-4 months, the hooves about 3.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Happy Lab

Mollie devours chews whenever she gets the chance. Rawhide bones, which I purchase rarely as I know they're not the best chew for her health, tend to last about 1-2 weeks once she's finished hiding it around the house (we found one once wedged between some storage boxes in the garage) but the actual time she takes to chew it down is about 2 hours. Bully sticks last around 30 minutes for her. She'll chew a meaty raw bone for about an hour and a a half before she gets tired of it and walks away, but if I leave it in the backyard overnight she'll return to it the next day. I've never tried finding out how long she'll actually chew it before it gets abandoned, because it attracts lots of flies. I recently tried something new and bought her an elk antler, which I had never looked into before, and she absolutely loves it. It's been a month now and it's still intact, and she chews it at least one hour a day.

If you're looking for advice on what chews to get your dog, I'd recommend the antler as by far the best product I've ever bought her.

-Dave Barry