Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 PM
meepitsmeagan's Avatar
meepitsmeagan meepitsmeagan is offline
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
borrow the dog you will be handling and practice practice practice. remember to gait the DOG towards the judge, not you. the mat is for the DOG, not for you. wear nonslip shoes. practice your walking/gliding. practice setting up. practice practice practice (with the dog you are handling). you know what you are supposed to do, you just need to train your body to do it from muscle memory. and the dog.
Thanks frost! I will remember that. I have trouble remembering the mats are for the dogs, so I need to stick that in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Has the dog been shown before? If not get the dog used to exams.

Yes. She has a few points already.

A couple of tricks/tips I have been taught I'm not sure how experienced you are in general so some of this you might know.

Get someone who knows the breed and whont try to screw you over to watch you gait. No dog is perfect but there are ways to hide this sometimes. Get them to watch and tell you what speed really shows off the good points about the dogs movement.

I'm working with the breeder (though this is an outside lined dog). She's helped out a ton so far, but my running/gliding has been a major struggle point for me.

Once you have done the down part if you need to stop for a second to settle the dog before you do the back part.

When the initially stack the dog for the judge to look at before the exam don't actually give it bait. If the judge is a teeth first judge then there will be nasty bits of bait in there when the mouth is open.

Watch your ring. Keep track of what breed is before you and make sure you have a idea of the class that's in the ring. For example if you are shaping a jr puppy dog you need to be there right away but if you have a open female you have longer to wait depending on entries.

If you have a big class or are winners and are waiting in the ring while the specials are being gone over dont over practice. Yes it's a good idea to do some but relax a bit too. A lot of dogs will get bored stacking over and over and over while waiting. Same goes for outside the ring waiting for your breed/class to be called.

Know how fast your dog moves. Always leave enough room in front of you so you aren't running up behind the dog in front.

If you are in front and told by the judge to go around together get yourself ready and turn to the person behind you and ask if they are ready.

All of the above is good to know! I hadn't even thought about that yet!

Don't loop the leash around your hand. Have if folded up inside your hand. I have found that sometimes the dog just wants to move out a bit more. Let them. If the leash is folded inside your hand you can let it out a little easier.

If you aren't sure of a ring time ask the show secretary or ring steward. Preferably the secretary. Just explain you are new and need help. Or ask a nice competitor.

If I think of anything else I will post it. I hope that all made sense I'm on my phone. Lol


Relax and have fun. If you screw up well there is next time. The dog will be able to tell if you are stressed
Thanks for the great points! Answers in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Which show are you going to??? And how far are you from Grand Rapids? Like others have said, get the dog and practice. If you can't make it to a class, practice with the dog infront of the owner. If she breeds and shows them she should beable to help you.
I'll be showing at the West Michigan Harvest Cluster on Saturday and Sunday. It's about 45 minutes south of GR at the Kalamazoo Expo Center. NOW NO ONE SHOW UP TO STALK OR KILL ME! I know, I'm just that awesome. I've been working with the breeder/normal handler and as I said above, she's helped a lot but there's a few points that is just continued practice for me.

Will you be around for this show?!
__________________


Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,056
Default

Have you been to a show and stood ringside? For me, one of the most confusing things was following the flow of the different classes and knowing when to go in the ring. If you don't have anyone with you to help, the steward may be able to keep an eye on you and make sure you know when to go in (they have done this for me before without asking - I must look like a newbie :-)

If the dog is already trained that will help immensely. Just practice practice practice, and make sure it's in different environments - outside, inside, a parking lot, etc. Is the show indoors or out? I find outdoor shows to be much easier because there is so much room to move and gait, so if it's indoors, make sure you practice in a small area to be prepared for that. If it's outdoors, don't worry about it so much and just find the speed you like for your specific dog.

Make sure you've thought through the type of bait you want and how you will carry it. My dog is young and easily bored, so I like to bring a decent amount of bait in the ring if it's a larger class or BOB. I realized in my first show that none of my skirts have pockets, so it's trickier. This is something I didn't think through until the morning of the show, since I had always practiced wearing pants (with pockets) or a treat pouch.

When you arrive at the show, go to your ring and watch what the judge is having other people do. Repeat it to yourself (down and back to the number sign, or whatever) because it's possible to watch 15 dogs go and then still forget what to do when it's your turn. Ask me how I know :-P

I think the best thing is to practice with someone who knows what they're doing, so working with the breeder is going to be really helpful. Good luck and have fun! It seems really overwhelming at first (at least it did to me) but after a few shows it was much easier and I knew what I had to do.

ETA: One more thing. Practice specifically what you will do at the end of the down and back, once you arrive at the judge. I feel like I always put so much thought into the down and back itself, that I arrive and am awkward. Make sure you are stopping far enough away from the judge, and not just running at them and stopping at the last second before you run them over. I think most breeds free stack, though in spaniels that doesn't seem to be the norm and the judges will get the dog's attention to view their expression (which takes some pressure off of me to do anything).
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12

Last edited by Elrohwen; 10-23-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Gypsydals's Avatar
Gypsydals Gypsydals is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Thanks frost! I will remember that. I have trouble remembering the mats are for the dogs, so I need to stick that in my head.



Thanks for the great points! Answers in bold.



I'll be showing at the West Michigan Harvest Cluster on Saturday and Sunday. It's about 45 minutes south of GR at the Kalamazoo Expo Center. NOW NO ONE SHOW UP TO STALK OR KILL ME! I know, I'm just that awesome. I've been working with the breeder/normal handler and as I said above, she's helped a lot but there's a few points that is just continued practice for me.

Will you be around for this show?!
This Sat and Sun?? Sadly I won't be able to make it to that show. Its too far of a drive and I have no one to show. However I WILL be at the lansing shows next month (Fri and sat).
If you are not too far from GR, contact the well mannered dog center. http://www.thewellmannereddog.com/
Here is a tip though for the remembering the mats are for the dogs. Before you take off on your down and back. Watch the judge, she/he is probably looking at something in the distance, focus on that. And start your down and back so that you are slightly off on that, that way your dog is inline with the judge. Also practice with the leash and collar with NO dog. Yes it sounds silly but it does help. It gets you comfortable with holding and moving the lead right with out having to worry about a dog on the end.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM
meepitsmeagan's Avatar
meepitsmeagan meepitsmeagan is offline
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
This Sat and Sun?? Sadly I won't be able to make it to that show. Its too far of a drive and I have no one to show. However I WILL be at the lansing shows next month (Fri and sat).
If you are not too far from GR, contact the well mannered dog center. http://www.thewellmannereddog.com/
Here is a tip though for the remembering the mats are for the dogs. Before you take off on your down and back. Watch the judge, she/he is probably looking at something in the distance, focus on that. And start your down and back so that you are slightly off on that, that way your dog is inline with the judge. Also practice with the leash and collar with NO dog. Yes it sounds silly but it does help. It gets you comfortable with holding and moving the lead right with out having to worry about a dog on the end.
Nope, in November. Saturday the 10th, Sunday the 11th irrc. I've been to the Well Mannered before! The conformation instructor up there is actually the one we are trying to get a private with.

And I didn't multiquote, so Welsh, thanks for all of your input! I used to go to quite a few dog shows, but it's been a while. You made some really good points about practicing in cramped spaces as well as planning for what you want to do in the ring. I definitely appreciate all of the helpful points.. I never thought I'd be doing conformation. Lol!
__________________


Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Gypsydals's Avatar
Gypsydals Gypsydals is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Nope, in November. Saturday the 10th, Sunday the 11th irrc. I've been to the Well Mannered before! The conformation instructor up there is actually the one we are trying to get a private with.

And I didn't multiquote, so Welsh, thanks for all of your input! I used to go to quite a few dog shows, but it's been a while. You made some really good points about practicing in cramped spaces as well as planning for what you want to do in the ring. I definitely appreciate all of the helpful points.. I never thought I'd be doing conformation. Lol!
Ok I didn't think it was already. LOL Its usually a couple of weeks before the lansing shows. I used to go down to that show cluster when it was in GR. Much closer and cheaper for me to go. Now in order for me to go, I would have to stay in a hotel room (too cold for camping). At the lansing shows I stay with my parents for the weekend. LOL Although going next year might be a possiblity. Only time will tell.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 PM
meepitsmeagan's Avatar
meepitsmeagan meepitsmeagan is offline
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Ok I didn't think it was already. LOL Its usually a couple of weeks before the lansing shows. I used to go down to that show cluster when it was in GR. Much closer and cheaper for me to go. Now in order for me to go, I would have to stay in a hotel room (too cold for camping). At the lansing shows I stay with my parents for the weekend. LOL Although going next year might be a possiblity. Only time will tell.
You should have said something! You could have totally stayed with me (if you felt comfortable of course). We are about 20 minutes away from the expo center.

I'll most likely be handling my own dog next year, as I've gotta put a Ch title on her.
__________________


Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Gypsydals's Avatar
Gypsydals Gypsydals is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
You should have said something! You could have totally stayed with me (if you felt comfortable of course). We are about 20 minutes away from the expo center.

I'll most likely be handling my own dog next year, as I've gotta put a Ch title on her.
Maybe next year I will have a reason to go down there . Ivan is offically retired after the spring show. It does not do go to have a veteran act like a brainless puppy.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
And I didn't multiquote, so Welsh, thanks for all of your input! I used to go to quite a few dog shows, but it's been a while. You made some really good points about practicing in cramped spaces as well as planning for what you want to do in the ring. I definitely appreciate all of the helpful points.. I never thought I'd be doing conformation. Lol!
That will be a huge help if you already have experience at shows and understand the general chaos.

I think I blew a 4 point major at our first (and so far only) indoor show because I wasn't able to gait Watson to the best of his abilities. Since his main strength right now is his movement and that wasn't up to par, we lost to a dog we beat the day before (outdoors) and got reserve. Definitely something I didn't anticipate.

I never thought I would do conformation either, and just wanted a dog for some low level obedience/rally/agility stuff. It's actually kind of fun and we've done well so far. I will be excited to finish him though and probably won't return as a special.
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM
meepitsmeagan's Avatar
meepitsmeagan meepitsmeagan is offline
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
That will be a huge help if you already have experience at shows and understand the general chaos.

I think I blew a 4 point major at our first (and so far only) indoor show because I wasn't able to gait Watson to the best of his abilities. Since his main strength right now is his movement and that wasn't up to par, we lost to a dog we beat the day before (outdoors) and got reserve. Definitely something I didn't anticipate.

I never thought I would do conformation either, and just wanted a dog for some low level obedience/rally/agility stuff. It's actually kind of fun and we've done well so far. I will be excited to finish him though and probably won't return as a special.
Haha, yep! Definitely know the drill, just been out of it for a while and have never showed in the "big time".

Oh! Bummer. The big majors are what really make me nervous... The breeder thinks we may or may not have a shot with this certain dog as she has a body spot and some judges rule them out right off the bat. So, we shall see.

I'm geared towards Rally/Obed/Herding, so way out of my comfort zone here. Lol. I will have to wait and see how puppy matures to see if I go back after her Ch.
__________________


Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Oh! Bummer. The big majors are what really make me nervous... The breeder thinks we may or may not have a shot with this certain dog as she has a body spot and some judges rule them out right off the bat. So, we shall see.
So glad color and markings isn't a thing in my breed. I would be so frustrated if we lost because of something like a body spot. I assume the standard lists body spots as a fault?
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site