Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Conformation handling

Hey y'all. So, I'm going a little bit out of my comfort zone and agreed to handle an ACD in an upcoming conformation show. I'm not the least bit coordinated or graceful with MY gait. I've been watching millions of "tips and tricks" videos today, but was wondering if anyone had some go-to videos or literature to help me out.

I'd like to stay away from making a complete ass of myself, if at all possible.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

What venue?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
What venue?
AKC

too short.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Are there any classes near you?

I looked at Youtube quite a bit, but honestly going to handling classes was what helped the most. There is a handler who teaches and "Intro to Dog Shows" handling class here and it was invaluable. I still have lots to learn, but taking those classes helped me immensely.

Other than that, I can't really help. Sorry! Good luck though!

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN

Last edited by Toller_08; 10-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
Are there any classes near you?

I looked at Youtube quite a bit, but honestly going to handling classes was what helped the most. There is a handler who teaches and "Intro to Dog Shows" handling to class here and it was invaluable. I still have lots to learn, but taking those classes helped me immensely.

Other than that, I can't really help. Sorry! Good luck though!
There is on a night that I work and cannot in any way get my shift changed. I've looked into privates, but the lady hasn't gotten back to me.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

I found handling class really helpful. Kili is my first showable dog. My breeder chose her for me for agility but suggested I could try my hand at showing her since she was also "show quality". It's really not my thing but I had fun. I was also lucky that all the judges I had at my first show were really patient and super nice. I've had to show under some less understanding judges too. Just not nearly as fun. But I'm all about fun. I got my dog for sports and companionship. I don't really care that she hasn't gotten any points. Might e different depending on if there are expectations on this dog you're showing?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
I found handling class really helpful. Kili is my first showable dog. My breeder chose her for me for agility but suggested I could try my hand at showing her since she was also "show quality". It's really not my thing but I had fun. I was also lucky that all the judges I had at my first show were really patient and super nice. I've had to show under some less understanding judges too. Just not nearly as fun. But I'm all about fun. I got my dog for sports and companionship. I don't really care that she hasn't gotten any points. Might e different depending on if there are expectations on this dog you're showing?
The breeder would obviously like to see points on this dog, but she isn't going to be devastated if I mess up. She's been super good with working with me thus far. She's got cancer and is currently going through chemo which is what is stopping her from handling herself. She knows I'm interested in getting more involved in the breed and I'm also handling another one of her dogs in herding, so she asked if I wanted to give this a shot.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Kung Pow Fish

borrow the dog you will be handling and practice practice practice. remember to gait the DOG towards the judge, not you. the mat is for the DOG, not for you. wear nonslip shoes. practice your walking/gliding. practice setting up. practice practice practice (with the dog you are handling). you know what you are supposed to do, you just need to train your body to do it from muscle memory. and the dog.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Has the dog been shown before? If not get the dog used to exams.

A couple of tricks/tips I have been taught I'm not sure how experienced you are in general so some of this you might know.

Get someone who knows the breed and whont try to screw you over to watch you gait. No dog is perfect but there are ways to hide this sometimes. Get them to watch and tell you what speed really shows off the good points about the dogs movement.

Once you have done the down part if you need to stop for a second to settle the dog before you do the back part.

When the initially stack the dog for the judge to look at before the exam don't actually give it bait. If the judge is a teeth first judge then there will be nasty bits of bait in there when the mouth is open.

Watch your ring. Keep track of what breed is before you and make sure you have a idea of the class that's in the ring. For example if you are shaping a jr puppy dog you need to be there right away but if you have a open female you have longer to wait depending on entries.

If you have a big class or are winners and are waiting in the ring while the specials are being gone over dont over practice. Yes it's a good idea to do some but relax a bit too. A lot of dogs will get bored stacking over and over and over while waiting. Same goes for outside the ring waiting for your breed/class to be called.

Know how fast your dog moves. Always leave enough room in front of you so you aren't running up behind the dog in front.

If you are in front and told by the judge to go around together get yourself ready and turn to the person behind you and ask if they are ready.

Don't loop the leash around your hand. Have if folded up inside your hand. I have found that sometimes the dog just wants to move out a bit more. Let them. If the leash is folded inside your hand you can let it out a little easier.

If you aren't sure of a ring time ask the show secretary or ring steward. Preferably the secretary. Just explain you are new and need help. Or ask a nice competitor.

If I think of anything else I will post it. I hope that all made sense I'm on my phone. Lol

Relax and have fun. If you screw up well there is next time. The dog will be able to tell if you are stressed

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

Which show are you going to??? And how far are you from Grand Rapids? Like others have said, get the dog and practice. If you can't make it to a class, practice with the dog infront of the owner. If she breeds and shows them she should beable to help you.