Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Top Dog

No advice, just sympathy. Kili had recurrent UTIs from the time we brought her home until 7 months old when she had surgery to correct a congenital abnormality in her urinary tract. Then she was incontinent for about a month following the surgery and had to be on medication to control that. Finally at 8-9 months old I was able to have a dog that wasn't receiving medication several times per day and things have been good. EXCEPT... she will be able to hold her bladder for 8-10 hours in her crate no problem. But have her loose in the house while you're home and I swear she asks to go out EVERY HOUR. It drives me nuts. So I sympathize with not wanting to let a dog out that frequently. It's totally not cool. Hopefully some of the tips others gave will help you regain some sanity!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I've checked his urine, and he has a high pH (9!) and some white blood cells seen on the dip stick, but when I looked at it under the microscope it looked great. No bacteria, no cells, no crystals, just some debris from being a free catch. Vet doesn't think he has an infection, but would recommend starting him on a urine acidifier.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Could something in his food be causing that? Maybe give him some like, apple cider vinegar to bring his pH levels down?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Could something in his food be causing that? Maybe give him some like, apple cider vinegar to bring his pH levels down?
I have no idea. He's eating 4Health Salmon and Potato mixed with 4Health Turkey and Potato (the bag had been damaged unloading it from the truck and I got half off! Whoot!). That's really all he gets, besides the occasional treat.

Quote:
Ingredients:
Salmon, ocean fish meal, potatoes, peas, cracked pearled barley, egg product, millet, canola oil, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 25.0% (min.), Crude Fat 14.0% (min.), Crude Fiber 3.0% (max.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% (min.), Glucosamine* 300 mg/kg (min.), Chondroitin Sulfate* 100 mg/kg (min.),
Quote:
Ingredients:
Turkey, Turkey Meal, Whole Potato, Poultry Meal, Dried Peas, Tapioca, Pea Protein, Poultry Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Manganese Proteinate, L-Carnitine, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 28.0%, Crude Fat (min) 15.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%, Moisture (max) 10.0%, Zinc (min) 200 mg/kg, Selenium (min ) 0.4 mg/kg, Vitamin E (min), 300 IU/kg, *Omega-6 (min) 2.5%, *Omega-3 (min) 0.4%, *Glucosamine (Naturally occurring) (min) 300 mg/kg, *Chondroitin Sulfate (Naturally occurring) (min) 100 mg/kg
I could certainly try some apple cider vinegar. Or I was going to pick up some cranberry supplements. The dog and I can share them, as I'm prone to UTIs.