Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Is there a reason pig ears have decreased in popularity, besides potential choking hazard? I used to see them at every feed store, now I very rarely do. We used to give them to our dogs when I was small, never have with Shadow or dogs past Shadow.
There is some notation that they may cause pancreatitis due to the grease/fattiness. I don't know if that is a dog people urban legend or if there is truth. But I do find them kind of gross, and especially gross if they are in a bulk bin, it just makes me think of bacterial growth, salmonella..ick.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
There is some notation that they may cause pancreatitis due to the grease/fattiness. I don't know if that is a dog people urban legend or if there is truth. But I do find them kind of gross, and especially gross if they are in a bulk bin, it just makes me think of bacterial growth, salmonella..ick.
We give pig ears every once in a while.. we call them doggy McDonalds. I forgot to add that we do give hooves as chews, but man do they stink up our house.

Frozen chicken feet as well.. though we haven't had those in a while.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Obey the Toad.

If a dog is allergic to beef are bully sticks going to cause an issue?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Silence, peasants.

Usually meaty bones, those last ages. Cleo only chews on them when they've still got yuck, Wes will pick them up and gnaw on them for...really, really long.

Bully sticks are for emergencies, Feist can motor through the 6 inch ones in 45 minutes and she's tiny, sooo.

Nylabones, Feist only likes. I imagine they will be around forever.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
If a dog is allergic to beef are bully sticks going to cause an issue?
I would assume so. Which is why, when you look at my list, they aren't on it. Caleb gets nothing beef, veal or buffalo.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

Nylabones..I don't even want my dogs to like them, but they do! Everything nylabone .

I have antlers, those last forever but don't interest the dogs much. Marrow bones keep their interest for a while, and then they forget about them like under furniture and I find bugs in them (vomit). I do begrudgingly use USA rawhides, usually the 'chips' and have never had a problem with them.

I don't do rib bones, roasted ham bones, lamb femurs, etc they crack and splinter. Other things like bully sticks, back straps, tracheas, etc do not last.

I get some filled horns a few months ago and those seemed to do great. I still have the shell of one that the dogs chew on sometimes.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

yeah it's really odd because when Tucker was a puppy he could go through a bully stick in 30 minutes. Now it lasts a week and he uses it every day. Not for super stretches, but probably 15 minutes at a time. I'm super glad he's changed, because now it's worth the price to buy them! He also didn't really like the himalayans when he was a puppy but now loves them.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Bully sticks (only the ones I can hand select at work)
Raw knuckles or knee caps (don't do marrow bones or ribs)
Stuffed kongs (less frequently now, but used to be almost daily)
Raw hooves
Tracheas for Gabby and Bailey

Basically, they don't get any cooked bones or anything Buzz might be able to choke on.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Show Dog

I usually have a few antlers around the house. How long they last really depends on the antler itself, ranging from a week to 6-7 months. Some I get seem to be "softer" than others, the softer ones both good faster AND are chewed longer. The "denser" antlers get chewed for shorter periods of time and break down much slower with the same amount of chewing. I take them away when they get small because Jubel WILL swallow it whole once it get small enough. Just sent my collection on antler nubs home with my foster when she got adopted.

A 12" bully stick will last about 15 minutes tops, I don't get them often as they aren't worth the money at that rate.

I picked up a himilayan chew at a pet expo a few years ago. Jubel loved it but it didn't last much longer than a bully stick would. Again not worth the price in my house.

Always a variety of nylabones around the house. Recently tossed the first classic nylabone after about 3.25 years.

He's eating a partial raw diet now so he gets chicken feet, pork ribs, and chicken quarters regularly.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

Bully sticks are the favorite. They usually only last about 15min, but occasionally a super thick one will last 40+ min.

I have split antlers, but he will just pick them up and throw them around once in a while and not really chew them much. Other dogs who come to our house seem to love them.

I have a couple of those smoked bones and they're ok. He generally works on them intently for a couple days which is good value for the money, but once the meaty stuff is off he's not as interested. He'll still pick up the bone every once in a while and work on it, so I leave them around. I've heard bad things about splintering, but haven't seen an issue and he doesn't chew on them enough for that to happen. I like that they are impossible to swallow since he can't get big pieces off.

Himalayan chews are ok. The last two I had didn't last very long, and I'm always afraid he'll swallow the bit at the end. With bully sticks I use a clamp to make him chew to the end, but I can't figure out what to use on a Himalayan chew. He'll swallow anything smaller than 5" usually.

Never tried a nylabone for whatever reason, but I probably should.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12