Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Zoo Zoo is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 21
Default

My wife and I already decided to spay our bitch... our breeder took 7 months to grant us permission to spay her (required my the contract to be discussed...) and she still refuses to sign the dog over to us.

My friend who owns a littermate did all his health testing, selected a stud dog, generating a waiting list of very well qualified homes, and is not able to breed because the breeder refuses to remove herself from co-ownership and implied that she wouldn't allow any litter to be registered.

We both had this confrontation and issue this year... when the breeder has a litter recently born from her holdback from the same litter.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-19-2013, 06:49 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparStar View Post
Unless the dog is to be competed and proven on bench or in field, then they are simply trying the newest scam in BYB land: Let everyone else do all the hard work and incur all of the expense and whenever we want we can have a litter of moneymakers!


Not a great practice IMO. Select a breeder that requires the dog to be altered, not bred.
Thats pretty ignorant and negative, IMO
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Zoo Zoo is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 21
Default

That's pretty much what my breeder did, though, so I see that as a valid perspective...

I just posted above that my breeder took 7 months to grant permission to spay my bitch... during this conflict, I was asked to test heart/hips/eyes and I declined to do so. My understanding is that they haven't health tested the bitch they bred this year that is a sibling to mine, so they actually planned to use my health testing as a feather in their cap (plus my showing my dog to championship 2 years prior, which was supposed to have removed co-ownership).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
That's pretty much what my breeder did, though, so I see that as a valid perspective...

I just posted above that my breeder took 7 months to grant permission to spay my bitch... during this conflict, I was asked to test heart/hips/eyes and I declined to do so. My understanding is that they haven't health tested the bitch they bred this year that is a sibling to mine, so they actually planned to use my health testing as a feather in their cap (plus my showing my dog to championship 2 years prior, which was supposed to have removed co-ownership).
Was more referring to the blanket statement that one should look for a breeder that demands alters over breeding rights, and that unless heavy titling is done, theyre just being moneyhungry and greedy. ANY breeder who has been around for more than a hot minute doesnt NEED a title to tell them what their eyes and hands will
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Zoo Zoo is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 21
Default

Agree with you there... in addition I'm against early spay/neuter, but that's another discussion altogether.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,255
Default

I trust Merlin's breeder 100%
I would have signed a contract saying she could stud him out and I'd be fine with her picking out the other dog. She knows his lines, breeding etc.. more than I ever will and I of course trust her
(I mean she makes awesome dogs.. obviously )

THAT SAID: I am with Shai when she said, I don't like it being a dictatorship, as his owner and caregiver, I do feel like I should be part of the discussion.
I don't necessarily have to have veto power or anything, but I want to be involved.
Of course she knows more about his lines and breeding etc.. but I live with him. I could and should provide insight on his strengths/weaknesses temperament wise.

and unless they are paying for him to be "collected & frozen & shipped" ...he's my dog, I 1000000% get to say where he goes, where he stays, and who he stays with.
I trust his breeder and of course he would stay with her but I would never allow another breeder to babysit him for studding or whatever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I trust Merlin's breeder 100%
I would have signed a contract saying she could stud him out and I'd be fine with her picking out the other dog. She knows his lines, breeding etc.. more than I ever will and I of course trust her
(I mean she makes awesome dogs.. obviously )

THAT SAID: I am with Shai when she said, I don't like it being a dictatorship, as his owner and caregiver, I do feel like I should be part of the discussion.
I don't necessarily have to have veto power or anything, but I want to be involved.
Of course she knows more about his lines and breeding etc.. but I live with him. I could and should provide insight on his strengths/weaknesses temperament wise.

and unless they are paying for him to be "collected & frozen & shipped" ...he's my dog, I 1000000% get to say where he goes, where he stays, and who he stays with.
I trust his breeder and of course he would stay with her but I would never allow another breeder to babysit him for studding or whatever.
I dont think iv EVER heard of a stud animal of any species going to the female. the female always goes to the male so YOU would be the one maybe babysitting somebodies bitch XD
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
I dont think iv EVER heard of a stud animal of any species going to the female. the female always goes to the male so YOU would be the one maybe babysitting somebodies bitch XD
In that case.. hell no LOL
I have no interesting in baby sitting my hormonal crazy boy and watching two dogs get it on all over my house.

If that's the case then no way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 AM
JennSLK's Avatar
JennSLK JennSLK is offline
F150 and a .30-06
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 6,956
Default

A breeder can only care for so many dogs. Selling a potential breeding dog is a way of giving a dog a good home with out loosing the potential great genetics.

I don't know of anyone who owns a intact male that the breeder has bred from actually do the breeding at the pet homes house. Most of the time the male goes back to the breeders house and its done there. This is why collection. Is a great tool as well, when it can be used
__________________



Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
A breeder can only care for so many dogs. Selling a potential breeding dog is a way of giving a dog a good home with out loosing the potential great genetics.

I don't know of anyone who owns a intact male that the breeder has bred from actually do the breeding at the pet homes house. Most of the time the male goes back to the breeders house and its done there. This is why collection. Is a great tool as well, when it can be used
Yeah, there's honestly a lot more to it than just letting them go at it. Especially if they're inexperienced. Sometimes the bitch freaks out when the tie actually happens (I imagine it can hurt, just like any female for the first time), and the male is basically stuck in her until the tie ends and that can take half an hour or so. It's important for an experienced person to be present to make sure both dogs stay calm and there isn't any fighting after the tie. Among other things.

The mechanics of dog breeding seem like they'd be the easiest thing ever, but it's not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site