Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Are you doing this obed for ring or kennel club sessions?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM
The Monster.

I know I should be working on roll over or something, as per the trick of the week, but I got bored/frustrated and decided to play at something else! Foot stalls and rebounds!

I've always thought that Cohen's relatively long back and comparatively short legs have made hind end precision tough for her. She does decently well, but could use improvement.

This is a quick video of our first session with a prop to help with foot stall & foot rebound training. I'd found that Cohen wasn't hitting solidly with her back feet on rebounds so I opted to give this a try. She also wasn't confident in her ability to sit/stand on my feet during a stall and normally opted to lay down and sprawl. Our first session with the prop has yielded some promising results.

Hard cover large book + durable sweatshirt = results!

Oh, also, here's a photo of her hug-da-bunny trick. :3

Note the dirty paws. She'd just come in from running around in the mud.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog

Last edited by Sekah; 11-12-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

Ah, that's so clever with the book! You should just use one all the time. Can't be fun to have those nails dig into flesh! You could rig it up like a shield with a shoulder strap and everything!

Here's what Summit and I are working on right now. I'm saving money by taking a break from agility classes with him for a bit. And this is way easier on his joints but still fun. He's not getting any younger! Thinking we'll slowly work on some heelwork moves. First off... leg weaves. This is a feat for a dog that can just barely fit under me. I love how happy and excited he is about this. Not always a good thing though. I'm surprised I don't have a black eye by now. Anyway, this is after only a few short sessions. Pretty happy with how he's doing.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 AM
The Monster.

Still working on a foot rebound. We're getting there, but I'm having a tough time getting her turning tight. I feel like it's the walls, if anything, which keep her remotely tight and when I try it outside it falls apart. It's early yet, but would love to hear some pointers.

E: I guess treat placement/timing would be a big factor here. It's just a bit tricky to get them proper when I'm more concerned about holding myself up.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 12-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Club Terrible - President

Cohen is freaking awesome.

Em and I are working on a lot right now! This week has been:
Spin
Get 'em (speak)
Fixing our horrible heel position
and we've started rebounds!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Twin 2

So I am completely tickled.

I've been working on a Foot Stall for a good while on and off but I have a seriously short attention span and get distracted, don't work on it and come back months later. Pair that with a huge distaste for wearing shoes (And you kinda need them for this trick...) it's been a long time coming.

Finally cracked down and started working on it again with the main focus being Traveler controlling himself and not just launching haphazardly at the direction of my feet and seeing how many of my body parts he can take out at the same time. Anyway! We've got it! Still needs a lot of fine tuning and work but the idea is there and he's hitting it more times than not!

Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Still working on a foot rebound. We're getting there, but I'm having a tough time getting her turning tight. I feel like it's the walls, if anything, which keep her remotely tight and when I try it outside it falls apart. It's early yet, but would love to hear some pointers.

E: I guess treat placement/timing would be a big factor here. It's just a bit tricky to get them proper when I'm more concerned about holding myself up.
Zuma goes ridiculously wide with this one too. I've started to reward from my hand with her and it's tightened up a lot.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:00 PM
On second thought...

Right now me and Cameron are working on nudging me with her nose. I'm hoping to use this in a larger task with her hearing my med alarm, coming to me, and then nudging me with her nose as an added reminder for me to take my meds. (any tips welcome!)

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri is working on agility things as well as stimulus control. With less outside time we are working on sharpening older tricks and she just learned scoot (hop backwards in a playbow position, adorable), spins, and shake.

Frodo right now is working on a retrieve. We'll get more heavily back into rally work when I think his hips are feeling better, I worry about all the sits/downs when he is ouchie.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
So I am completely tickled.

I've been working on a Foot Stall for a good while on and off but I have a seriously short attention span and get distracted, don't work on it and come back months later. Pair that with a huge distaste for wearing shoes (And you kinda need them for this trick...) it's been a long time coming.

Finally cracked down and started working on it again with the main focus being Traveler controlling himself and not just launching haphazardly at the direction of my feet and seeing how many of my body parts he can take out at the same time. Anyway! We've got it! Still needs a lot of fine tuning and work but the idea is there and he's hitting it more times than not!
Wicked! He'd wobble around less up there if he stopped wagging his tail so much!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017