Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

Okay, really good to know, guys. I'm thinking this definitely is going to be an idea I will pass over. Not sure it's for me. I guess at that rate, I might as well just find a job at a daycare/kennel type situation and basically be doing the same thing, w/o the school?

I'm in the process of looking for a new job at the moment. I'm over the daycare thing ... children making me sick all the time NEED to get away. I just would love something decent for the next 2-3 years. I've never done waitressing before but was considering it. I would want to start at a small place though.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would still look into reception at a vet clinic, that's what I am doing while I go to school and I love it! Play up any kind of customer service experience on application, instead of reception experience. That's what I did because I had NO reception experience!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

When I worked as an "uncertified tech" (which was like a vet assistant+ or somesuchsomething), I made $10/hour working 35+ hours a week at full time. However, I did everything a CVT would do aside from administering anesthetic drugs, intubating, and giving Rabies vaccines. The clinic I worked at was a 1.5 doctor practice with 5 techs on each day with 2 receptionists. We occasionally did reception duties over the lunch breaks (when surgeries were happening) but I mostly just did my job. Set up/handle appointments, fill meds, take xrays, assist in surgery, and we also did basic bathing/minimal grooming as techs.

I enjoyed it a lot more while I was there. I don't think of it so fondly anymore.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Top Dog

I worked at an absolutely terrible vet clinic as an assistant for like $8.50/hr ish. There were no official certified techs or anything like that. It was supposed to be on the job training, I got as far as restraining, vaccinating, blood draws, setting catheters, running lab work, filling prescriptions, that sort of thing. It really was a terrible place and I ended up fading into doing mostly kennel work as much as I could. But yeah, I definitely didn't make 30k a year!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm a veterinary assistant. I would *definitely* have not paid money to be certified. I've learned everything I do on the job. I like to say I'm an unregistered veterinary technician, because I'm also doing blooddraws, reading slides, running labwork, administering injections/meds, and doing everything a tech does besides anesthesia monitering, because I don't feel comfortable doing so without a proper course. I prep for surgery, intubate, etc, just don't trust myself to read the stats correctly and know what to do if something is off.

I make $9.25 an hour. I love my job, but will likely try to become registered via schooling so I can make a bit more....

Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

I was a vet assistant as a student. For the experience to get into vet school, do something that I enjoyed (even though it was long, hard days sometimes) was totally worth it... because I didn't NEED the money. I actually started out as a volunteer and then became their paid student, and then when I went to University I came home and was their summer student. I LOVED my clinic, loved the people, loved the job. But if I'd needed money that would have been different.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Honestly I think formal schooling for a vet assistant position is probably a waste of time and money. Most assistants are trained on the job, it's not a position that requires or even benefits from any kind of certification.
I would agree with this and this was the consensus I gathered when I was looking into the CVT program. Unless you want to be a CVT, the schooling isn't important.
I also remember at the time some places did not care for a CVT and preferred vet assistants who they could train, then promote to tech later. However, around here, places will not hire a tech without their CVT. Basically the certification is what MAKES you a tech. Otherwise you have the title of assistant.

Vet assistants and techs seem to have high burn-out from what I have read as well.

Child care also has a high burn-out rate as it happens.

Why not look at retail? If you can get hired on a place working in their stockroom, even better. Stockroom employees usually get paid more than sales floor or cashiers. And you don't have to deal with customers as much (only if you get sent out to stock shelves.) Downside, a lot of people who work in the stockroom work in the stockroom because they are antisocial or how other personality flaws that make them, um, not suited to being on the sales floor shall we say. There were some great guys who worked in the stockroom (almost entirely men) when I was at Target and I got along with probably 90% of them. That 10% though... they were... interesting.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-16-2013, 12:52 PM
orange iguanas.

There are a lot of negatives about the job that aren't really so bad. Are the days long, yes. Do I enjoy working 11 hour days, no. But because I work long days, I have 1.5 days off during the week, plus weekends as well (with the exception of working 4 hours every other Sat). I will always complain about my hours lol but I truly think it is much better than working 8-4 M-F. But that's just me.

I bust my ass a lot and for the things I do, don't get paid a whole lot. But I knew that and chose it as a career anyway. For a temporary job while you're in school... the money you make will probably be adequate.

Most animals are pretty friendly. I honestly suck at restraint and have managed to get bit only once. Lol. I don't ever go into work wondering how many crabby animals we're gonna have..most days we don't have problems. Sometimes we need the leather gloves to hold a cat. If you're an assistant though I would imagine someone more experienced would handle the sassy ones.

It just depends what you're interested in. It's challenging and doesn't get you rich but you're not planning on it as a career. Most days are fascinating and rewarding. And pet care discounts rock lol. I would NOT work at a dog daycare, I'll take my tech job any day. Daycares have you working super hard too but it's just... work that I can't handle doing all day lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

I am technically an Assistant at my vet clinic, however I do a lot more than your average assistant. I am essentially the office manager, I manage the front desk, I restrain, I do blood draws/vaccines, I do rads, I check in appointments, etc. We have a tiny clinic, 2 doctors (only one on at a time), 3 certified vet techs, one part time receptionist and me. I make a bit more than your average assistant but that's because I do a bit more than your average assistant.

I didn't go to school for this and it's my second assistant job (the first doesn't really count).
Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
It just depends what you're interested in. It's challenging and doesn't get you rich but you're not planning on it as a career. Most days are fascinating and rewarding. And pet care discounts rock lol. I would NOT work at a dog daycare, I'll take my tech job any day. Daycares have you working super hard too but it's just... work that I can't handle doing all day lol.
I always enjoyed working at regular boarding kennels, but supervising daycare dogs kind of sucked, I agree. I like doing specific tasks all day, but just kind of sitting there observing and occasionally scooping poop was...less than entertaining.