Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

Being a follower and thirding this.

It is interesting to see everyones lists.

I pick breed first, then lines then find a breeder.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Following this for sure.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Silence, peasants.

This list is BC specific and in no particular order soo:

1. Parents have cleared health tests for the breed, as have prior generations if possible
2. Parents work the sheepies/cows/something to a high level
3. Dogs that are bred must have outstanding temperaments and be good with all kinds of people, dogs, and animals
4. There must be a purpose behind every breeding
5. Know not just the sire and dam, but the lines they're breeding.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

1. Working bred dogs who run on stock regularly.
2. HEALTHY and health tested dogs.
3. Stable temperaments with semi-low chance of being DA. Raised as pets first and kept in a home setting.
4. Breeds a workable, but nicely put together dog.
5. Communication and relationship with puppy buyer. I want a support system and someone who loves and cares about this puppy as much as I do.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

This list is Welsh Springer specific, but it would apply to most dogs I would look at for pet/show/lower level sports. If my needs were different (working, or high level competition) I would have slightly different requirements probably.

-- Prioritizes health and temperament (including full health testing per breed requirements)

-- Dogs live in the home, and puppies are raised there

-- Socializes puppies by exposing them to new stimuli, people, etc.

-- Has dogs that are generally bombproof, take anywhere dogs.

-- Parents are titled in conformation at minimum (any nice Welsh can finish). Big bonus if there are some other sport titles. Hunting is nice, since they are a hunting breed, but I realize most people don't hunt their Welshies anymore. I don't hunt either, so I'm not picky, but I do appreciate breeders who work the dogs in what they were originally bred to do.

-- Communicative. I want someone who will respond to my emails and questions, and who wants to keep in touch at least minimally for the life of the dog. The breeder doesn't have to be my best friend, but I do want some sort of relationship and to feel like she cares about every pup that leaves her house. This goes double for a dog that will be shown and may be bred in the future.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:12 PM
BusterLove

1. Dogs are proven
2. Appropriate health testing
3. Dogs are viewed/tested as objectively as possible
4. Breeder is trying to better themselves and is open to new infomation
5. They have goals with their dogs

Old 10-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Lord Cynical

My top five....

1. Health/Temperament - I want a breeder that health tests, as much as they can, even if they have a pretty good idea that their dogs will pass. I want a breeder who produces correct temperaments for the breed.

2. Not a Ribbon Hunter - I don't want a breeder that compromises on structure (or temperament, or anything else) because *incorrect* is what's bringing home the big ribbons at the time. Dont' get me wrong - titles and big wins are awesome - but to me it's only awesome if it's done with a correct dog.

3. Communication - I've come to realize that I need a breeder I can get along with, and is BIG on communication. A breeder should be supportive for his/her puppy buyers.

4. Breed Knowledge and Vision - I want a breeder who knows the breed (and his/her own lines) inside and out. I want a breeder who has goals, and has a plan for reaching those goals.

5. Embraces Versatility - Kind of self explanatory. I want a breeder who can provide me with a dog that can do just about anything.

There is more that I'm probably missing, but that's what comes to mind.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Big Dog

For me:

1 - Work the dog in some function. I prefer dogs which are worked in some form of their original field - so gundogs who hunt, herders who herd, etc. I'll also accept dogs who do a different form of "job" (agility, etc.). Basically, I'm looking for some sign that the dogs work hard/rigorously at something, to prove that their conformation holds up to hard wear and tear. I am leery of conformation-only breeders.

2 - Health testing at a solid #2. Ideally, everything that the breed club would advocate they test for. At a bare minimum, for the most of the breeds I lust after, hip scores.

3 - Communicative and friendly. They don't need to have a fancy website or even know how to work email, as long as I can reach them in some capacity and they're open to discussing their methods, what we're both looking for, what their goals are, etc. (This one isn't too hard, lots of dog people will talk your ear off once you get them going about their breed!)

4 - Honesty. I want to know what they think the faults are in their lines, not just glowing recommendations of their dogs. No breeding program is perfect, and I really admire it when they can come out and say "I bred this bitch despite her having [insert fault here], for this reason." To me it indicates thoughtfulness.

5 - Well-socialized, stable dogs. I need to know that, from the lowest drive to the craziest-drive dog they have, they are at least all predictable in temperament and safe. That means different things for different breeds (not all will be all-people-and-dog-friendly-all-the-time even when socialized and trained), but I want to rest assured that I won't be getting a pup with poor nerves.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I know we've had similar discussions before (and maybe even the same) but... what does a breeder need to do (or not do) for you to consider him/her responsible?

I know it's never cut and dried, ever. But I'm just curious!

Top five for me:
1) Dogs live in the home
2) Dogs are health tested, at least minimally, according to breed "need"
3) Breeder is knowledgeable about nutrition
4) Sire and dam are "dog social"
5) Puppies are exposed to a very wide variety of "things" with positive associations in mind
1) is the same for me, I prefer a small breeder whose dogs live in their home.
2) health tested for at least the "main offender" diseases
3) the dogs MUST work, I don't care about conformation titles, I would pick a breeder who worked their dogs over one who had a bunch of show titles to their name. Any dog can trot around a ring and look pretty, but it takes a special dog to be able to stand up to a charging bull.
4) Early puppy socialization is also very important to me, so is the litter being brought up IN the breeders home from the start.
5) "Type" of dog is also rather important to me (although if a breeder I am looking at has everything else I would be willing to overlook aesthetics, which is why its on the bottom of my list) but I have always preferred a darker colored dog with a shorter, closer, tighter coat.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

Well, for me the number one thing is a breeder will take back any dog they produce, for any reason, at any time. Responsible breeders do not let their dogs clog up the shelter system. You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

There's other stuff I want in my breeder - I want dogs that live in the house, because my dogs live in my house. I want dogs that compete in sports, because my dogs compete in sports. I want dogs that live forever, because my dog should live forever. I like my breeder, I like the dogs they produce, that's good enough for me.