Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
It's tough because we can't just ask them if they want to keep playing... agility would be a lot easier if we could just have logical, rational conversations with our dogs...
Pretty sure even if Zinga could talk there would be no logical, rational conversations. Illogical, irrational is what she's all about.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 10-14-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Pretty sure even if Zinga could talk there would be no logical, rational conversations. Illogical, irrational is what she's all about.
Was just thinking that about Mia.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Payton would yell everything. Volume permanently stuck on 11. He might be logical and rational... just really, really loud.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Payton would yell everything. Volume permanently stuck on 11. He might be logical and rational... just really, really loud.
You: "Payton, I understand that you are excited to play agility, but I need you to hold that start line stay so that we can run the course together."

Payton: "I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND. I DON'T LIKE SITTING THOUGH SO IF YOU COULD POSSIBLY MOVE A LITTLE QUICKER OUT TO THAT JUMP, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. ALSO, I WANT SNAUSAGES. ALL THE SNAUSAGES. ONLY IF YOU THINK IT'S APPROPRIATE THOUGH. SNAUSAGES."

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

I'm pretty sure Gusto would give me a rational, logical soliloquy on how I'm stupid and shouldn't be doing anything the way I'm doing it and by the way it isn't his fault that someone spilled cheerios in the footing.

Meg would be great to talk to at this point in her life. A few years ago she would have whined like an 11 year old girl and asked to go back home and sleep on the couch instead. Now I think she would just mock me. I told her after she got her ADCH that there were no more rules and she could do whatever she wants and I wouldn't get upset. She likes to flaunt that and jump her contacts or pop out of her weaves to play bow now. I'm still not mad and she get her Nutter Butters and hugs and kisses, but I think she's trying to figure out what it will take to break me

Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
You: "Payton, I understand that you are excited to play agility, but I need you to hold that start line stay so that we can run the course together."

Payton: "I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND. I DON'T LIKE SITTING THOUGH SO IF YOU COULD POSSIBLY MOVE A LITTLE QUICKER OUT TO THAT JUMP, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. ALSO, I WANT SNAUSAGES. ALL THE SNAUSAGES. ONLY IF YOU THINK IT'S APPROPRIATE THOUGH. SNAUSAGES."
More accurate than you could possibly imagine.
Except instead of holding the start line stay it's more like "When I release you I really need you to promise you'll actually take the jump in front of you. I mean really the fastest way from point A to point B is OVER the jump, not around it, so really. Over the jump. Over. It's not a trick. I promise. Over."

Payton: OKAY BUT ARE YOU SURE IT'S NOT A TRICK BECAUSE I THINK IT MIGHT BE A TRICK AND THE CORRECT ANSWER IS TO GO AROUND THE JUMP AND NOT OVER SO I'LL GO AROUND THE JUMP JUST TO BE SURE IS THAT OKAY?

I think not only does he always shout but he talks in really fast run-on sentences.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm All Ears

Ok, confessional now....

I didn't get video our last trial because I thought that would make me too nervous. I'm already nervous about getting video this trial. Which is funny because I had zero ring nerves, lol.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think not only does he always shout but he talks in really fast run-on sentences.
I definitely pictured the run on sentences.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Get video! You don't have to post them, but it's good to have. That way you can really see what you are doing and take a look at what the dog is doing too. With Auggie and Georgie it's easier, in the heat of the moment I can still get a fair handle on what they are doing, looking at, et cetera. With Payton it's a lot like slinging a fast moving wrecking ball around the course and I really don't have time to think about it, so I need the videos to look at after the fact.

One thing that sort of changed my perspective on videos was Dave Munnings YouTube channel. He posts his non-Q runs. He even has a video of working at a seminar where he posted all the clips of the dog being naughty at the end. So I'm like okay, this guy competes at a crazy high level and wins national competitions, and not only does he still have mistakes happen on the course, but he uploads them to YouTube for everybody to see. If HE can post this stuff, so can I. It's not like he's one of those people out there claiming his dogs NEVER make mistakes, they NEVER do this and NEVER do that. No, his dogs screw up and he still posts it! And judging by his Facebook page, he still walks away thinking his dogs did something great, even with mistakes. It's a mentality I want to learn from. So I'm faking it until it sinks in, LOL. I'm going to project the hell out of that mentality when I'm at a trial, no matter what happens. Every run will be great, no matter what happens. Even if I would really prefer to throttle Payton.

Of course Munnings can always be like "Yes well I win national competitions so you can take your comments and shove it," and my only defense is "Yeah well Payton sleeps on my bed at night and not yours so boo to you!"

It also still bothers me that I have no video of one of the greatest runs I had with Auggie. I really, really wish I had it on video. So I will always try to get video now. I've decided if I don't have anybody there to video I'll just set up my tripod and record that way, just so I have it. You never know what will happen.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Ok, confessional now....

I didn't get video our last trial because I thought that would make me too nervous. I'm already nervous about getting video this trial. Which is funny because I had zero ring nerves, lol.
Lol, I get the same way when I'm taping things, I always get more nervous because I'm thinking about how we look, or how I look, or whatever. I also for some reason get more nervous in class-type settings when the trainer and other students are watching me lol.

But... get over it. Because I wanna see Mia and Summer do a run!

Brit & Jackson