Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Default Flatcoat in the Field

Over the last couple weeks, Mira and I wrapped up her Junior Hunter title, JH, and earned her Working Certificate, WC, and Working Certificate Excellent, WCX, on the same day (in reverse order, ironically...they ran the Excellent test first so we passed the WCX before the WC, haha).

So she earned all four JH legs in four attempts, and passed both working certificate levels the first time either of us had ever seen a test. As a owner-trained/handled dog with no training group saddled with a first-timer on the other end of the leash.

Yeah, I am crazy proud of my dog.

For those curious as to what the tests entail:

The Junior Hunter test is a series of four singles (call, gun, bird goes down, dog is released by handler at the judge's word, dog runs straight out, finds the bird quickly without handler input, returns bird to hand), two on land and two on water, run as two sets of two (two mark series). Gotta pass the first set to go on to the second. Dogs are scored on marking ability, trainability, style, and perseverance. Four legs needed to title.

The Working Certificate Excellent test requires a quiet off-lead walkup from holding blind to line and back again after finished. The land series is a triple ending with a live flyer --- three birds go down in sequence, landing in cover, while the dog sits quietly, marking all three. On the judge's signal, the handler releases the dog who goes out and picks up the first bird, and brings it back to hand. Dog is then released to the second bird, has to remember where it is and bring it back at with the first bird. Repeat again for the third bird. Dog needs to find all birds with no handling, may not set up a hunt for one bird then go look for a different bird instead, etc.
That is followed by a water double -- same deal, but two birds down, in water, with the memory bird hidden from view.
After the working portion of the water double but before leaving, there is an off lead honor. Dog and handler sit about ten feet to the side of the new working team, dog sitting in heel position. Dog is quiet and steady through both birds dropping for the working team, the judge's cue, the handler's release, and the working dog entering the water and heading toward his first bird. Then the judge releases the honoring dog who heels off leash away from the water and ducks.

The Working Certificate test is basically the same as the WCX but simpler -- walkups are on lead, you may use a slip cord on the line for steadiness insurance if you so desire, the land series is a double, the water series is two singles, and there is no honor portion. Marks are generally a little closer, placed a little more intuitively. This is the only test in which a delivery all the way to hand is not required and decoys may not be used (both delivery and decoys are required for JH and WCX).

Da Cheese and her JH ribbons and title tab

Again with her WC/X prizes -- engraved metal duck bands, delivered by tying them onto duck toys.

I don't have any working photos of her in the field at this time -- didn't have anyone to take pictures for me -- so here she is wearing half a field, just because she's cute

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Vizsla mom

Congratulations! That's super impressive for both you guys As someone who is 'training' a dog to work in the field, I am envious of your success! Also, love how well your dog matches all those orange ribbons!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Top Dog

So awesome! I'd love to watch sometime. Congratulations!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Not a Border Collie

I am so, so impressed with you both right now! Thank you for the write ups on the titles - I had no idea how much they entailed and how thorough they were! That's tough work! Mira is such a wonderful representation of her breed and you have done such an excellent job handling her.

I'm still just so wowed lol.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 10-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Club Terrible - President

Are live birds used in the tests?

Huge congratulations to you guys, and love the pictures!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

That's awesome! Way to go Mira!!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

So awesome! Congrats to you and Mira!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Lab Love

Yay Mira! What a good girl.

She is such a pretty dog, too.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 10-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Twin 2

Go Mira!! Go Shai!! Go both of you!!

So much congratulations, it's well earned. You've got a one of a kind, amazing dog right there.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Congratulations! That's super impressive for both you guys As someone who is 'training' a dog to work in the field, I am envious of your success! Also, love how well your dog matches all those orange ribbons!
Thank you! And yeah as tough as it can be to get decent pictures of a black dog, they look good with just about any color, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
So awesome! I'd love to watch sometime. Congratulations!!!
You should! There is always a "gallery" for the people not working to watch. Bring a chair and as long as you aren't distracting the working dogs, people are usually happy to answer questions and explain what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I am so, so impressed with you both right now! Thank you for the write ups on the titles - I had no idea how much they entailed and how thorough they were! That's tough work! Mira is such a wonderful representation of her breed and you have done such an excellent job handling her.

I'm still just so wowed lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
That's awesome! Way to go Mira!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
So awesome! Congrats to you and Mira!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
Yay Mira! What a good girl.

She is such a pretty dog, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Go Mira!! Go Shai!! Go both of you!!

So much congratulations, it's well earned. You've got a one of a kind, amazing dog right there.
Thanks, guys. She really is a very special dog. Our focus is not on field work and I'm a first-timer so she was really making up for a lot in drive, instinct, and honesty. And a good obedience foundation goes a *long* way in any sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Are live birds used in the tests?

Huge congratulations to you guys, and love the pictures!
Thank you!

And it varies. For many tests they don't use live birds, but for the WCX they are required to use at least one live flyer which is a captive bred live bird that is shot as the mark. By the time a dog is running a WCX test, they are being assessed for suitability in an actual hunting situation (vs. the WC which is more of an instinct test). Could you take this dog out with you hunting where there are multiple birds going down and remember them all. Could you take this dog hunting with your friends where their dogs are going after their birds and yours needs to hold until released on your bird. Part of that is willingness to pick up a freshly killed/wounded bird, and it really does make a difference. At this test I believe 1/3 passed, 1/3 failed on the live flyer, and 1/3 failed on various other things (switched birds, broke on the honor, couldn't find a memory bird, etc.). So half of all the fails were on that live flyer because the dogs refused to pick it up.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13