Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
Beanie you sound just like m husband. I want him to try gluten free but for a guy so in love with his food not sure it's gonna happen. On top of it dairy also wrecks havoc on him.

Is there a good website or cookbook? It's awful because even at work when they send up gluten free meals I know its not gluten free!

With someone who can't tolerate gluten generally the cilia down your tract are injured. I think once you have been gluten free a while the pop back up so likely why you can tolerate more foods.
An interesting thing about the dairy.

The tips of the cilia are where the enzymes for digesting lactose are produced. So, many celiacs also have symptoms of lactose intolerance. Every time the cilia are damaged there's a chance they'll grow back without the little dairy digesting enzyme producing things.

It may be in his case that his cilia are damaged, so he's not making it. If he goes off gluten they make grow back and start working again, or they may grow back without it.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

^ that helps a ton! Trying to get husband to try three months and see how he feels. I guess that means I gotta do it to!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 10-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Taxiderpy

OH! They DO make oreos, and they actually taste like real oreos, and absorb milk just like real oreos. I get them as a once in a while treat.

Trader Joes makes a version of it, but they're not very good. They don't absorb milk and they're kind of gritty.

Last edited by Romy; 10-13-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: holy giant picture batman!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Lord Cynical

I don't really have much to add, except...

1. it's easier to go gluten free when if you stay positive about it and don't dwell on the stuff you can't eat. Focus on all the delicious stuff you CAN eat!

2. With the exception of a few items, don't buy the gluten free substitutes. They're overpriced and just reinforce your body's desire for foods that normally contain gluten. That said, here are my exceptions:

- Udi's bread
- Kinnikinnick pancake mix
- Tinkyada pasta

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I don't really have much to add, except...

1. it's easier to go gluten free when if you stay positive about it and don't dwell on the stuff you can't eat. Focus on all the delicious stuff you CAN eat!

2. With the exception of a few items, don't buy the gluten free substitutes. They're overpriced and just reinforce your body's desire for foods that normally contain gluten. That said, here are my exceptions:

- Udi's bread
- Kinnikinnick pancake mix
- Tinkyada pasta

It was easy to switch for me, because even back then when all the substitutes were crap, I couldn't eat anything when I was sick. It was like, all of a sudden I felt amazing and had to learn to cook. lol

Most things I do homemade now, because that's how I started. The newer products are wonderful though. I think having them available will make it easier for people to transition, because sometimes you do just need a convenient and fast meal as you run out the door and sometimes you do crave childhood favorites for nostalgia sake (like Oreos).
Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Also, from what I understand Beanie is also on a paleo diet? That will restrict the type of sweets you can have regardless of GF or not. :P
Yes, but I'm not talking from the perspective of paleo, or specifically sweets either - if anything it's more from a perspective of "clean eating." My friend with celiac also does not like to eat most of the packaged gluten free foods because they may not have gluten but are packed full of various other kinds of processed crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog
2. With the exception of a few items, don't buy the gluten free substitutes. They're overpriced and just reinforce your body's desire for foods that normally contain gluten.
Also I agree 100% with this.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Lord Cynical

Oh, and Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza Dough Mix. That stuff is the sheeeeeet. YUM YUM!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Wookie Collie

Great points from everyone! I did GF for about eight months as part of treating a health issue. It was tricky at first, but I ate well.

For me the key was twofold: positive thinking (HUGE), and cooking everything from scratch. Restaurants rarely happened and I didn't buy anything processed from the store, not even the GF stuff for the reasons already mentioned. I bought fresh raw ingredients and made my food from scratch.

Incredibly beneficial - even though I'm no longer GF, I've cut a lot of gluten out of my diet, have the habit of cooking from scratch and I eat MUCH better. There's so many healthy gluten-free recipes on the internet!

And if you need an unhealthy snack fix, there's always Sizzle's goshdarn puppy chow recipe. *shakefist*

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Oh, and Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza Dough Mix. That stuff is the sheeeeeet. YUM YUM!
That is the one I used the other night - I also like the Namaste Pizza Dough Mix. It has seasonings mixed in. The Bob's Red Mill stuff I use my own seasoning mix with. The Bob's is cheaper though I think, especially if you use the one bag to make two pizzas!
Namaste makes a thinner crust, not quite a cracker like crust but I'm getting close. I don't make it often enough to have hit on the right result yet. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Taxiderpy

Domino's makes GF pizza now, and hoooolleee crap it's the first real pizza crust I've ever had aside from home made ones (that I have lost the recipes to). It's just, everything a pizza crust ought to be.

It should be noted, that if you're actually celiac you shouldn't trust them not to cross contaminate. Lucky for me, my sister is the general manager of the local Dominos and is aware of cross contamination issues. If someone calls one in, she personally makes it with fresh, non contaminated gloves and stuff. She said that people in other areas should talk to the manager about it to find out how they handle cross contamination before ordering if they're sensitive.

I should also note that it's just as unhealthy as regular take out pizza. Just a delicious once in a while treat. I maybe order one once or twice a year.