Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
^ I stand by my earlier statement. LOL
HA! Sorry I didn't see your comment.
Lots of people saying they are insane so... maybe not lol
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
F150 and a .30-06

All of those people who are saying they are crazy have they met them? What kind have they met? The 10 I have met have all been nice dogs. They are from good breeders, well trained, and well socialized. Find out where the crazy ones came from. Same lines or breeder? They aren't a dog for everey one. I would talk to actual breeders. Tell them your concerns and go from there. Meet some well trained ones. Go to shows, events ect where there will be a entry or Wheatens. A good breeder is your best resource.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Wheatens seem to be a groomer's worst nightmare for some reason (and I'd agree with that - I didn't like any of the Wheatens in the grooming shop I worked at), but otherwise, I've encountered many and most don't give off a bad vibe at all in every day life. One of my favourite customer dogs is a Wheaten actually. Sweetest, most patient dog in the world. Apparently he's a jerk for his groomer too, but not in any other situation. I think they're worth meeting and taking a look at if you like the sounds of them.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

As a 16 year Wheaten owner I will never own another but my reasons are because the breed isn't my ideal. They are hilarious, smart, and naughty. They can be very hard to motivate and have all the energy no one ever wants. They should be happy and silly, they should be dog savvy an human friendly, they should be a jack of all trades.

They are a groomers worse nightmare because they wigggggle. Think boxer silliness. They can be frustrating because they think life is hilarious even when you're frustrated.

They are not an aggressive breed and although some exist it is not the common place.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
As a 16 year Wheaten owner I will never own another but my reasons are because the breed isn't my ideal. They are hilarious, smart, and naughty. They can be very hard to motivate and have all the energy no one ever wants. They should be happy and silly, they should be dog savvy an human friendly, they should be a jack of all trades.

They are a groomers worse nightmare because they wigggggle. Think boxer silliness. They can be frustrating because they think life is hilarious even when you're frustrated.

They are not an aggressive breed and although some exist it is not the common place.
That comment about energy is really something coming from a Mal owner... maybe I'll have to reconsider.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Hahaha it's something I be aware of. They are energizer bunnies.

Have you considered a well bred rat terrier?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
All of those people who are saying they are crazy have they met them? What kind have they met? The 10 I have met have all been nice dogs. They are from good breeders, well trained, and well socialized. Find out where the crazy ones came from. Same lines or breeder? They aren't a dog for everey one. I would talk to actual breeders. Tell them your concerns and go from there. Meet some well trained ones. Go to shows, events ect where there will be a entry or Wheatens. A good breeder is your best resource.
Iv been a groomer across 4 states and 9 companies, and 2 dog daycares, and witnessed a 100% rate of "batshit insane". Every groomer Iv ever worked WITH has also expressed the same experience, and the running gag is "Why are you crazy?" "Uhh... its a Wheaten?" "Oh... yeah."
Old 10-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojello View Post
It won't be a few years until I get another dog but I have a list that makes it near impossible to find the "perfect" dog for me. List-

- medium sized (20-40 pounds)... I would like it to be able to fit in a car with no problem as I enjoy travelling with my dogs.
- non or low shedding. I can't handle EXTREME shedding dogs. There are many dogs that I LOVE but would not own because of shedding. Don't mind heavy grooming.
- very family oriented (Velcro even). Would prefer the dog to be tolerant of strangers but not "I love everyone" in their personality
- biddable, a dog that is easily (or fairly easily) trained
- good off leash (with recall training obviously)
- fairly long lived
- non brachycephalic
- NOT a barker

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this dog even exist?
I was thinking a Havanese but I have limited experience with the breed...
Thanks in advance
Predictably I could suggest a nice compact gsp

Can be pocket sized from the right dogs. Never tiny tiny, but bitches are feminine, and they fold up tiny lol. I get Fred AND my other dog in my car easy peasy. My car isn't huge by any means!!!!!

They shed, but no fur balls. Easy to sweep brown stick hairs. No fluff!!

VERY family orientated. They LOVE their people. They like people, but they're not in your face with strangers.

I'd say biddable, as they love to please, but they do have a large streak of stubborn and need an assertive owner who is prepared to train. However, are eager to please, and are clever. And were bred to be extremely versatile. Respond well to positive training, can be sensitive.

Off lead will be as good as the work you put into it. They like to roam and explore, you'll see a brown streak through the trees searching for bunnies and birds, but most will return keenly when trained correctly. Some people have issues, but that's any breed. The stubborn streak is something to be aware of, but deffo not a deal breaker. I was walking with about 10 gsp of varying age last weekend and there were no issues at all in term of recall for any dog and this was a wide open park, fields, trees and a reservoir!

Longer lived dogs, not brachy.

Not overly barky. Can alert bark, are vocal in terms of Roos and whines and talking to you, but not really yappy dogs. Say like the sheltie rep!

Cons... You can end up with a large dog if you're not choosy.

That stubborn streak

Separation anxiety is possible, they DO love their people.

Energetic dogs, need exercise, stimulation.

Not for everyone but those who have them love them.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Hahaha it's something I be aware of. They are energizer bunnies.

Have you considered a well bred rat terrier?
I have thought about a rat terrier but I've heard they can be fairly soft? Am I mistaken?
I have a loud/busy home and I am a fairly aggressive personality (which can come across wrong to some dogs)... I need a dog that isn't overly sensitive or shuts down I get a bit loud/pushy (NO I don't believe in the dominance theory/dog whisperer bs, don't worry).
Old 10-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Predictably I could suggest a nice compact gsp

Can be pocket sized from the right dogs. Never tiny tiny, but bitches are feminine, and they fold up tiny lol. I get Fred AND my other dog in my car easy peasy. My car isn't huge by any means!!!!!

They shed, but no fur balls. Easy to sweep brown stick hairs. No fluff!!

VERY family orientated. They LOVE their people. They like people, but they're not in your face with strangers.

I'd say biddable, as they love to please, but they do have a large streak of stubborn and need an assertive owner who is prepared to train. However, are eager to please, and are clever. And were bred to be extremely versatile. Respond well to positive training, can be sensitive.

Off lead will be as good as the work you put into it. They like to roam and explore, you'll see a brown streak through the trees searching for bunnies and birds, but most will return keenly when trained correctly. Some people have issues, but that's any breed. The stubborn streak is something to be aware of, but deffo not a deal breaker. I was walking with about 10 gsp of varying age last weekend and there were no issues at all in term of recall for any dog and this was a wide open park, fields, trees and a reservoir!

Longer lived dogs, not brachy.

Not overly barky. Can alert bark, are vocal in terms of Roos and whines and talking to you, but not really yappy dogs. Say like the sheltie rep!

Cons... You can end up with a large dog if you're not choosy.

That stubborn streak

Separation anxiety is possible, they DO love their people.

Energetic dogs, need exercise, stimulation.

Not for everyone but those who have them love them.
That's a breed to think about! I absolutely LOVE the solid coloured GSP's. I actually love most German breeds.
I would actually consider a larger size as long as it's not 75+. I'd probably want to stick below 70...
I've even considered a Doberman as well.