Next dog breed-- help!

krissy

Greyhound. Small female is 50 lbs. You would have to screen and choose appropriately to find one very interested in training, but it's not that hard. Low shed, short coat. Most bark almost never. Some are known to be "Velcro" dogs, though neither of mine are (thank goodness... I don't like "neediness" in a dog. The breed standard states the personality is "somewhat aloof". My pup is all over everyone, but Summit has a good "greyhound personality". He is friendly enough and will approach strangers if he is in the mood, but more often than not he allows people to pet him without really paying them much mind.

sojello

Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. We have a lot to ponder but we have a few years or ponder it so at least we have time.
Going to do plenty of research for the right dog.
Ironically we will end up with a barking, shedding, 80 pound mutt from a shelter ;) oh well... we'll love whatever we do bed up getting!

sojello

Greyhound. Small female is 50 lbs. You would have to screen and choose appropriately to find one very interested in training, but it's not that hard. Low shed, short coat. Most bark almost never. Some are known to be "Velcro" dogs, though neither of mine are (thank goodness... I don't like "neediness" in a dog. The breed standard states the personality is "somewhat aloof". My pup is all over everyone, but Summit has a good "greyhound personality". He is friendly enough and will approach strangers if he is in the mood, but more often than not he allows people to pet him without really paying them much mind.
Are your greyhounds quite affectionate to you and your family? I don't want a "needy" dog necessarily but I want a dog that wants to be around me/my family.

sojello

I've just discovered the Soft Coated Wheaten terrier... looks almost exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find a reputable breeder :D
I've met a couple and loved their personality but I would like to interact with them more before I make a final decision.

krissy

Are your greyhounds quite affectionate to you and your family? I don't want a "needy" dog necessarily but I want a dog that wants to be around me/my family.
Yes, they are affectionate, though the "typical" greyhound personality is not the over the top exuberant affection that a lot of people are used to with other breeds. It tends to be a quieter more subtle affection.

My puppy is far more "typical dog". She licks and her tail wags like it's going to fall off, she'd jump up if she were allowed. She likes to sit on the couch with you, though not necessarily touching you.

Summit is a little more typical of a retired racer. He greets me at the door... most days (lol). He wags his tail for me. Occasionally he gets really excited when we're working together or just relaxing together. He does not tend to STAY in the same room as the family though. In the evening he usually goes to the bedroom to sleep on the bed while everyone else is hanging out in the living room. If you call him though he comes flying to see what's going on. He has a very sweet way of sidling up to me if I sit on the ground looking for loving. He loves to shove his long snout into my crotch to get ear rubs, and loves rubbing his face on my legs in the morning when we get up. If I sit on the ground with him while he's laying down he paws at me looking for loving.

He's the schmoozer at greyhound meet and greets. Walks up to every random person who comes in looking for attention and a kind word. But if he doesn't get it he doesn't demand, just moves on.

In summary, they are affectionate, they just don't tend to be in your face about it. They're pretty low key. And they do take a bit of time to really warm up and come out of their "shells". Summit was always a friendly boy but a lot of these little signs of affection only started coming out after about 6 months with us. And some are super cuddle bugs, but neither of mine are. They'll sit on the couch or in bed with you, but they don't really want to be all tangled up with you. Which suits me fine because they're a little bony for cuddling! :rofl1:

sojello

Yes, they are affectionate, though the "typical" greyhound personality is not the over the top exuberant affection that a lot of people are used to with other breeds. It tends to be a quieter more subtle affection.

My puppy is far more "typical dog". She licks and her tail wags like it's going to fall off, she'd jump up if she were allowed. She likes to sit on the couch with you, though not necessarily touching you.

Summit is a little more typical of a retired racer. He greets me at the door... most days (lol). He wags his tail for me. Occasionally he gets really excited when we're working together or just relaxing together. He does not tend to STAY in the same room as the family though. In the evening he usually goes to the bedroom to sleep on the bed while everyone else is hanging out in the living room. If you call him though he comes flying to see what's going on. He has a very sweet way of sidling up to me if I sit on the ground looking for loving. He loves to shove his long snout into my crotch to get ear rubs, and loves rubbing his face on my legs in the morning when we get up. If I sit on the ground with him while he's laying down he paws at me looking for loving.

He's the schmoozer at greyhound meet and greets. Walks up to every random person who comes in looking for attention and a kind word. But if he doesn't get it he doesn't demand, just moves on.

In summary, they are affectionate, they just don't tend to be in your face about it. They're pretty low key. And they do take a bit of time to really warm up and come out of their "shells". Summit was always a friendly boy but a lot of these little signs of affection only started coming out after about 6 months with us. And some are super cuddle bugs, but neither of mine are. They'll sit on the couch or in bed with you, but they don't really want to be all tangled up with you. Which suits me fine because they're a little bony for cuddling! :rofl1:
Thanks for all of that information krissy!
I've always wanted a Greyhound since I was a child so, that breed is definitely on our list of maybes :)

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I've just discovered the Soft Coated Wheaten terrier... looks almost exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find a reputable breeder :D
I've met a couple and loved their personality but I would like to interact with them more before I make a final decision.
Yes... interacting with them is a good idea :ninja: Every Wheaten I have ever encountered (Im a groomer) has been vile. Aggressive, unpredictable (bites for one thing one time, doesnt bite next time. Bites for brushing a spot thats not matted, ignores when you yank a mat out with a comb, then bites for the next mat, but not the one after that. bites for leashing it up to go home. bites for unleashing it to go in the tub, etc), usually neurotic, bitey and anxious and spinny for everything, with the owner and away from the owner. several have been repeated owner-biters. when i encountered them in daycare they were ****-starters and redirecters.

Ugh. just... ugh.

sojello

Yes... interacting with them is a good idea :ninja: Every Wheaten I have ever encountered (Im a groomer) has been vile. Aggressive, unpredictable (bites for one thing one time, doesnt bite next time. Bites for brushing a spot thats not matted, ignores when you yank a mat out with a comb, then bites for the next mat, but not the one after that. bites for leashing it up to go home. bites for unleashing it to go in the tub, etc), usually neurotic, bitey and anxious and spinny for everything, with the owner and away from the owner. several have been repeated owner-biters. when i encountered them in daycare they were ****-starters and redirecters.

Ugh. just... ugh.
REALLY? Ugh, that's too bad! Have they been quality bred dogs? Or just bybers?
Maybe I'll just stick with another pit bull... that's a safe place for me. They are just.... awesome.

Hillside

Original Twin
Hmmm, the Wheatens we have had at our place have not had all those biting issues. Ours are mostly showline/retired show dogs though.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Maybe a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, if you don't mind a rather...exuberant dog? All of the ones I've met have been nutso, but I'm sure a well bred one isn't. Or, at least, I hope not. LOL
^ I stand by my earlier statement. LOL

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
All of those people who are saying they are crazy have they met them? What kind have they met? The 10 I have met have all been nice dogs. They are from good breeders, well trained, and well socialized. Find out where the crazy ones came from. Same lines or breeder? They aren't a dog for everey one. I would talk to actual breeders. Tell them your concerns and go from there. Meet some well trained ones. Go to shows, events ect where there will be a entry or Wheatens. A good breeder is your best resource.

Toller_08

Wheatens seem to be a groomer's worst nightmare for some reason (and I'd agree with that - I didn't like any of the Wheatens in the grooming shop I worked at), but otherwise, I've encountered many and most don't give off a bad vibe at all in every day life. One of my favourite customer dogs is a Wheaten actually. Sweetest, most patient dog in the world. Apparently he's a jerk for his groomer too, but not in any other situation. I think they're worth meeting and taking a look at if you like the sounds of them.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
As a 16 year Wheaten owner I will never own another but my reasons are because the breed isn't my ideal. They are hilarious, smart, and naughty. They can be very hard to motivate and have all the energy no one ever wants. They should be happy and silly, they should be dog savvy an human friendly, they should be a jack of all trades.

They are a groomers worse nightmare because they wigggggle. Think boxer silliness. They can be frustrating because they think life is hilarious even when you're frustrated.

They are not an aggressive breed and although some exist it is not the common place.

sojello

As a 16 year Wheaten owner I will never own another but my reasons are because the breed isn't my ideal. They are hilarious, smart, and naughty. They can be very hard to motivate and have all the energy no one ever wants. They should be happy and silly, they should be dog savvy an human friendly, they should be a jack of all trades.

They are a groomers worse nightmare because they wigggggle. Think boxer silliness. They can be frustrating because they think life is hilarious even when you're frustrated.

They are not an aggressive breed and although some exist it is not the common place.
That comment about energy is really something coming from a Mal owner... maybe I'll have to reconsider.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
All of those people who are saying they are crazy have they met them? What kind have they met? The 10 I have met have all been nice dogs. They are from good breeders, well trained, and well socialized. Find out where the crazy ones came from. Same lines or breeder? They aren't a dog for everey one. I would talk to actual breeders. Tell them your concerns and go from there. Meet some well trained ones. Go to shows, events ect where there will be a entry or Wheatens. A good breeder is your best resource.
Iv been a groomer across 4 states and 9 companies, and 2 dog daycares, and witnessed a 100% rate of "batshit insane". Every groomer Iv ever worked WITH has also expressed the same experience, and the running gag is "Why are you crazy?" "Uhh... its a Wheaten?" "Oh... yeah."

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
It won't be a few years until I get another dog but I have a list that makes it near impossible to find the "perfect" dog for me. List-

- medium sized (20-40 pounds)... I would like it to be able to fit in a car with no problem as I enjoy travelling with my dogs.
- non or low shedding. I can't handle EXTREME shedding dogs. There are many dogs that I LOVE but would not own because of shedding. Don't mind heavy grooming.
- very family oriented (Velcro even). Would prefer the dog to be tolerant of strangers but not "I love everyone" in their personality
- biddable, a dog that is easily (or fairly easily) trained
- good off leash (with recall training obviously)
- fairly long lived
- non brachycephalic
- NOT a barker

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this dog even exist?
I was thinking a Havanese but I have limited experience with the breed...
Thanks in advance :)
Predictably I could suggest a nice compact gsp :)

Can be pocket sized from the right dogs. Never tiny tiny, but bitches are feminine, and they fold up tiny lol. I get Fred AND my other dog in my car easy peasy. My car isn't huge by any means!!!!!

They shed, but no fur balls. Easy to sweep brown stick hairs. No fluff!!

VERY family orientated. They LOVE their people. They like people, but they're not in your face with strangers.

I'd say biddable, as they love to please, but they do have a large streak of stubborn and need an assertive owner who is prepared to train. However, are eager to please, and are clever. And were bred to be extremely versatile. Respond well to positive training, can be sensitive.

Off lead will be as good as the work you put into it. They like to roam and explore, you'll see a brown streak through the trees searching for bunnies and birds, but most will return keenly when trained correctly. Some people have issues, but that's any breed. The stubborn streak is something to be aware of, but deffo not a deal breaker. I was walking with about 10 gsp of varying age last weekend and there were no issues at all in term of recall for any dog :) and this was a wide open park, fields, trees and a reservoir!

Longer lived dogs, not brachy.

Not overly barky. Can alert bark, are vocal in terms of Roos and whines and talking to you, but not really yappy dogs. Say like the sheltie rep!

Cons... You can end up with a large dog if you're not choosy.

That stubborn streak :D

Separation anxiety is possible, they DO love their people.

Energetic dogs, need exercise, stimulation.

Not for everyone :) but those who have them love them.

sojello

Hahaha it's something I be aware of. :) They are energizer bunnies.

Have you considered a well bred rat terrier?
I have thought about a rat terrier but I've heard they can be fairly soft? Am I mistaken?
I have a loud/busy home and I am a fairly aggressive personality (which can come across wrong to some dogs)... I need a dog that isn't overly sensitive or shuts down I get a bit loud/pushy (NO I don't believe in the dominance theory/dog whisperer bs, don't worry).

sojello

Predictably I could suggest a nice compact gsp :)

Can be pocket sized from the right dogs. Never tiny tiny, but bitches are feminine, and they fold up tiny lol. I get Fred AND my other dog in my car easy peasy. My car isn't huge by any means!!!!!

They shed, but no fur balls. Easy to sweep brown stick hairs. No fluff!!

VERY family orientated. They LOVE their people. They like people, but they're not in your face with strangers.

I'd say biddable, as they love to please, but they do have a large streak of stubborn and need an assertive owner who is prepared to train. However, are eager to please, and are clever. And were bred to be extremely versatile. Respond well to positive training, can be sensitive.

Off lead will be as good as the work you put into it. They like to roam and explore, you'll see a brown streak through the trees searching for bunnies and birds, but most will return keenly when trained correctly. Some people have issues, but that's any breed. The stubborn streak is something to be aware of, but deffo not a deal breaker. I was walking with about 10 gsp of varying age last weekend and there were no issues at all in term of recall for any dog :) and this was a wide open park, fields, trees and a reservoir!

Longer lived dogs, not brachy.

Not overly barky. Can alert bark, are vocal in terms of Roos and whines and talking to you, but not really yappy dogs. Say like the sheltie rep!

Cons... You can end up with a large dog if you're not choosy.

That stubborn streak :D

Separation anxiety is possible, they DO love their people.

Energetic dogs, need exercise, stimulation.

Not for everyone :) but those who have them love them.
That's a breed to think about! I absolutely LOVE the solid coloured GSP's. I actually love most German breeds.
I would actually consider a larger size as long as it's not 75+. I'd probably want to stick below 70...
I've even considered a Doberman as well.

Members online

No members online now.