Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

Greyhound. Small female is 50 lbs. You would have to screen and choose appropriately to find one very interested in training, but it's not that hard. Low shed, short coat. Most bark almost never. Some are known to be "Velcro" dogs, though neither of mine are (thank goodness... I don't like "neediness" in a dog. The breed standard states the personality is "somewhat aloof". My pup is all over everyone, but Summit has a good "greyhound personality". He is friendly enough and will approach strangers if he is in the mood, but more often than not he allows people to pet him without really paying them much mind.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Puppy Dog

Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. We have a lot to ponder but we have a few years or ponder it so at least we have time.
Going to do plenty of research for the right dog.
Ironically we will end up with a barking, shedding, 80 pound mutt from a shelter oh well... we'll love whatever we do bed up getting!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Greyhound. Small female is 50 lbs. You would have to screen and choose appropriately to find one very interested in training, but it's not that hard. Low shed, short coat. Most bark almost never. Some are known to be "Velcro" dogs, though neither of mine are (thank goodness... I don't like "neediness" in a dog. The breed standard states the personality is "somewhat aloof". My pup is all over everyone, but Summit has a good "greyhound personality". He is friendly enough and will approach strangers if he is in the mood, but more often than not he allows people to pet him without really paying them much mind.
Are your greyhounds quite affectionate to you and your family? I don't want a "needy" dog necessarily but I want a dog that wants to be around me/my family.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Puppy Dog

I've just discovered the Soft Coated Wheaten terrier... looks almost exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find a reputable breeder
I've met a couple and loved their personality but I would like to interact with them more before I make a final decision.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojello View Post
Are your greyhounds quite affectionate to you and your family? I don't want a "needy" dog necessarily but I want a dog that wants to be around me/my family.
Yes, they are affectionate, though the "typical" greyhound personality is not the over the top exuberant affection that a lot of people are used to with other breeds. It tends to be a quieter more subtle affection.

My puppy is far more "typical dog". She licks and her tail wags like it's going to fall off, she'd jump up if she were allowed. She likes to sit on the couch with you, though not necessarily touching you.

Summit is a little more typical of a retired racer. He greets me at the door... most days (lol). He wags his tail for me. Occasionally he gets really excited when we're working together or just relaxing together. He does not tend to STAY in the same room as the family though. In the evening he usually goes to the bedroom to sleep on the bed while everyone else is hanging out in the living room. If you call him though he comes flying to see what's going on. He has a very sweet way of sidling up to me if I sit on the ground looking for loving. He loves to shove his long snout into my crotch to get ear rubs, and loves rubbing his face on my legs in the morning when we get up. If I sit on the ground with him while he's laying down he paws at me looking for loving.

He's the schmoozer at greyhound meet and greets. Walks up to every random person who comes in looking for attention and a kind word. But if he doesn't get it he doesn't demand, just moves on.

In summary, they are affectionate, they just don't tend to be in your face about it. They're pretty low key. And they do take a bit of time to really warm up and come out of their "shells". Summit was always a friendly boy but a lot of these little signs of affection only started coming out after about 6 months with us. And some are super cuddle bugs, but neither of mine are. They'll sit on the couch or in bed with you, but they don't really want to be all tangled up with you. Which suits me fine because they're a little bony for cuddling!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Yes, they are affectionate, though the "typical" greyhound personality is not the over the top exuberant affection that a lot of people are used to with other breeds. It tends to be a quieter more subtle affection.

My puppy is far more "typical dog". She licks and her tail wags like it's going to fall off, she'd jump up if she were allowed. She likes to sit on the couch with you, though not necessarily touching you.

Summit is a little more typical of a retired racer. He greets me at the door... most days (lol). He wags his tail for me. Occasionally he gets really excited when we're working together or just relaxing together. He does not tend to STAY in the same room as the family though. In the evening he usually goes to the bedroom to sleep on the bed while everyone else is hanging out in the living room. If you call him though he comes flying to see what's going on. He has a very sweet way of sidling up to me if I sit on the ground looking for loving. He loves to shove his long snout into my crotch to get ear rubs, and loves rubbing his face on my legs in the morning when we get up. If I sit on the ground with him while he's laying down he paws at me looking for loving.

He's the schmoozer at greyhound meet and greets. Walks up to every random person who comes in looking for attention and a kind word. But if he doesn't get it he doesn't demand, just moves on.

In summary, they are affectionate, they just don't tend to be in your face about it. They're pretty low key. And they do take a bit of time to really warm up and come out of their "shells". Summit was always a friendly boy but a lot of these little signs of affection only started coming out after about 6 months with us. And some are super cuddle bugs, but neither of mine are. They'll sit on the couch or in bed with you, but they don't really want to be all tangled up with you. Which suits me fine because they're a little bony for cuddling!
Thanks for all of that information krissy!
I've always wanted a Greyhound since I was a child so, that breed is definitely on our list of maybes
Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojello View Post
I've just discovered the Soft Coated Wheaten terrier... looks almost exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find a reputable breeder
I've met a couple and loved their personality but I would like to interact with them more before I make a final decision.
Yes... interacting with them is a good idea Every Wheaten I have ever encountered (Im a groomer) has been vile. Aggressive, unpredictable (bites for one thing one time, doesnt bite next time. Bites for brushing a spot thats not matted, ignores when you yank a mat out with a comb, then bites for the next mat, but not the one after that. bites for leashing it up to go home. bites for unleashing it to go in the tub, etc), usually neurotic, bitey and anxious and spinny for everything, with the owner and away from the owner. several have been repeated owner-biters. when i encountered them in daycare they were ****-starters and redirecters.

Ugh. just... ugh.
To change the world
To reach the farthest star
If we should stay silent
If fear should win our hearts
Our light will have long diminished
Before it reaches the farthest star"

-Ronan Harris, NVN Nation
Old 10-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
Yes... interacting with them is a good idea Every Wheaten I have ever encountered (Im a groomer) has been vile. Aggressive, unpredictable (bites for one thing one time, doesnt bite next time. Bites for brushing a spot thats not matted, ignores when you yank a mat out with a comb, then bites for the next mat, but not the one after that. bites for leashing it up to go home. bites for unleashing it to go in the tub, etc), usually neurotic, bitey and anxious and spinny for everything, with the owner and away from the owner. several have been repeated owner-biters. when i encountered them in daycare they were ****-starters and redirecters.

Ugh. just... ugh.
REALLY? Ugh, that's too bad! Have they been quality bred dogs? Or just bybers?
Maybe I'll just stick with another pit bull... that's a safe place for me. They are just.... awesome.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Original Twin

Hmmm, the Wheatens we have had at our place have not had all those biting issues. Ours are mostly showline/retired show dogs though.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:52 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Maybe a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, if you don't mind a rather...exuberant dog? All of the ones I've met have been nutso, but I'm sure a well bred one isn't. Or, at least, I hope not. LOL
^ I stand by my earlier statement. LOL