Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Did more discrimination work today and my dogs are both awesome.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm All Ears

Also, Mia's favorite thing to work on today was the table. I think it's because I had the clicker? I am not sure but she was like wheeeeee table!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

My mom is struggling with Georgie. I see good stuff happening and she doesn't. It's challenging for me. This was always the hardest part for me as a trainer too. I see great things happening with my student's dogs and I tell them "That was great! See how this happened? He learned this! This is happening! It's HAPPENING!" and they just kind of smile weakly because they want perfection right away and it's not there yet. And they don't see that there are smaller steps first and GOOD THINGS ARE HAPPENING!

And she's being hard on Georgie because of it and it's not fair to Georgie because GOOD THINGS ARE HAPPENING HERE!!

She is having a Payton-is-not-Auggie moment except it's Georgie-is-not-Payton. And she also forgets that Payton and I are made up of hours of training time she doesn't see. 11pm training sessions. When I worked at the station I came home for lunch and trained my dog at lunch time. Hours and hours. It's not like I just woke up and decided to put Payton on the agility course and TA-DA look at these ribbons!! So much work has gone into it and I don't think she fully appreciates that.

She doesn't understand that Georgie has suddenly decided this game is super fun, and that's actually a very good thing. The teeter is amazing. The chute is awesome. These things that were scary have now become high value - this is a GOOD thing! Yes right now she's running over to the teeter when you want her to do that jump, and that is frustrating, but instead of taking the frustrating part of it - that her self-control isn't where it needs to be - take the part that means this thing that SCARED her now has HIGH VALUE.

As a result I'm trying to tone myself down with Payton. I wasn't happy with Payton's 12-poles so I decided to retrain them. Went back to six poles and drilled six poles for a couple days, then I added two poles on Sunday and we just did eight. Today we did ten. Wednesday we will be back to 12 and I'm confident he'll look great when we get back to 12. Today I sent him out over a jump, out to slice a jump, then back around and into the poles from the "wrong" side. He was beautiful and I decided to put in a rear cross on him in the poles too and it was so so wonderful. And I wanted to be like DID YOU SEE THAT LOOK AT THAT. And instead I just celebrated with Payton in the back of my yard where she couldn't really hear me.

Whomp whomp.

Also I looked up today and realized I had an audience. One of my neighbours is renting his house, but sometimes he and his dad come by to work on the house, and I sometimes see them up by the corner of their house watching. Today I saw that the old man behind me was having dinner with his wife at their kitchen table, and they had the drapes open and were watching.

The neighbours on either catty-corner also watch. One's yard is behind our privacy fence, but they have a bi-level so I can see them standing in their living room looking down on our yard with their golden retriever. The others helped me out today by sending their dog who likes to try and fence-fight with my dogs outside while Payton was doing his weaves. I sent him away and into the poles and he ignored the snarling barking lunging dog at the back fence and did all 10 poles for me. Good boy Payton.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Hehe it always creeps me out when I am reminded that people watch me to agility. We weretalking with a neighbor a while ago and Mira was out with us...the woman leaned down to pet Mira and said, "The black dog! You are very very good at that obstacle coure thing!" I stared blankly for a minute before realizing she was talking about my partial agility equipment...haha. Turned beet red.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-01-2013, 07:14 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Also, Mia's favorite thing to work on today was the table. I think it's because I had the clicker? I am not sure but she was like wheeeeee table!
That sounds incredibly cute, lol. The table was Webby's favorite obstacle for a long time...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Hehe it always creeps me out when I am reminded that people watch me to agility. We weretalking with a neighbor a while ago and Mira was out with us...the woman leaned down to pet Mira and said, "The black dog! You are very very good at that obstacle coure thing!" I stared blankly for a minute before realizing she was talking about my partial agility equipment...haha. Turned beet red.
This. So much this.

I need a 12 foot tall privacy fence or to live out in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors for a mile.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
That sounds incredibly cute, lol. The table was Webby's favorite obstacle for a long time...
It really was. She was all bouncy and flying up to the table. Summer was goofy and not going down on it. She was certain she was supposed to bow or maybe dig or just maybe do her shame on me trick.

What's a good way to work the auto down without owning a table?

We practice in the front yard most the time and people watch. It's weird.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm All Ears

I am struggling with something though. If things continue as well as they are I'm not sure I want to add a third dog for a while. I mean... I really really want a bigger dog but on the other hand I can't afford entry fees for 3 dogs. I don't want to slight my current two.

But really it will still be a good couple years after getting Nextdog before Nextdog is needing entry fees. Summer isn't getting younger
Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't own a table but work the concept on any platform I can find. Mira doesn't have an autodown on the table but she's good about managing herself, though she has skidded across them a few times. The only table fault she's had was when she lauched at speed and an angle and basically just went across the corner of the table, which downing wouldn't help.

Kim has (had? it's been a while) a nice table autodown, though. We played down-as-fast-as-you-can on a mat then put the mat on a platform. From there she generalized to the table very well even though we were only rarely on a real table. It worked well considering our limited equipment access at the time.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I am struggling with something though. If things continue as well as they are I'm not sure I want to add a third dog for a while. I mean... I really really want a bigger dog but on the other hand I can't afford entry fees for 3 dogs. I don't want to slight my current two.

But really it will still be a good couple years after getting Nextdog before Nextdog is needing entry fees. Summer isn't getting younger
I completely understand this. I am pretty much narrowed down to two litters at this point (Mira's and one of another breed) and both will happen a little earlier than is ideal. But on the other hand, it's 2 years (if all goes well) til a new pup is really up to speed from a competition standpoint and it's nice to raise a pup in an agility environment, which is easier to do if you have active competition dogs.

We'll see. I'm going to have a hard time not keeping a puppy from either of these litters...I think it will be impossible for me to turn down a puppy from both.