Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Taxiderpy

I just heard back from her. She said the best way to get a job there, and the way she got hers, is to volunteer. They list available jobs on their website and *usually* prefer to hire from their volunteer pool if anybody is interested in it.

http://www.wolfhaven.org/
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Unless you have a good bit of money saved and knowledge of the local job market, I wouldn't move without having a job already lined up. Even if it isn't in your field exactly, you'll need to have a way to pay for rent, food, gas, etc. If there is a zoo you love, you can always get a volunteer position for a better chance of getting hired.

I did research in college for cognitive psychology and someone in our group was in a high up position as a zookeeper for Disney's Animal Kingdom. She was in her 40s and had worked in zoos with her Master's degree before going to Disney. It's hard to get a full time position with benefits without starting with an internship first.

My sister volunteered for a wild animal refuge that would hire unpaid interns before choosing from outside the rescue. That way, they don't have to waste time and money taking a gamble.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I just heard back from her. She said the best way to get a job there, and the way she got hers, is to volunteer. They list available jobs on their website and *usually* prefer to hire from their volunteer pool if anybody is interested in it.

http://www.wolfhaven.org/
Thanks Romy!