Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Next dog breed-- help!

It won't be a few years until I get another dog but I have a list that makes it near impossible to find the "perfect" dog for me. List-

- medium sized (20-40 pounds)... I would like it to be able to fit in a car with no problem as I enjoy travelling with my dogs.
- non or low shedding. I can't handle EXTREME shedding dogs. There are many dogs that I LOVE but would not own because of shedding. Don't mind heavy grooming.
- very family oriented (Velcro even). Would prefer the dog to be tolerant of strangers but not "I love everyone" in their personality
- biddable, a dog that is easily (or fairly easily) trained
- good off leash (with recall training obviously)
- fairly long lived
- non brachycephalic
- NOT a barker

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this dog even exist?
I was thinking a Havanese but I have limited experience with the breed...
Thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 PM
retriever crazy

miniature poodle?

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay21 View Post
miniature poodle?
I've thought about It but, Poodles are extremely soft and I don't prefer that personality trait. I am a loud/obnoxious person sometimes and my late Poodle was very sensitive to it. They also bark-- a LOT.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Big Dog

Most of your criteria would match my Bichon Frise, except he is very much an "I love everyone" type of dog.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM
treehugging clicker freak

And this is where we all suggest our favorite breed LOL

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, though, my friend is looking for another dog with almost the same exact things in the OP. She already has a bichon My first suggestion was poodle, too. But she's not a fan... Poor poodles, they have such a stigma lol

Have you thought about any off the spaniels? Some require more grooming (some not as much) but they don't shed too much, IMO. A lot of your requirements come close to Maddie

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assamiea View Post
Most of your criteria would match my Bichon Frise, except he is very much an "I love everyone" type of dog.
Bichon is another to ponder... don't they typically have issues with allergies?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
And this is where we all suggest our favorite breed LOL

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, though, my friend is looking for another dog with almost the same exact things in the OP. She already has a bichon My first suggestion was poodle, too. But she's not a fan... Poor poodles, they have such a stigma lol

Have you thought about any off the spaniels? Some require more grooming (some not as much) but they don't shed too much, IMO. A lot of your requirements come close to Maddie
I actually LOVE Poodles but their softness/sensitivity is a real turn off for me. My Poodle used to frustrate the heck out of me and he knew it. It was a cycle... don't get me wrong, I loved him dearly but... ya.
I've actually thought about a Cocker Spaniel but aren't they also known for horrendous health issues? I absolutely LOVE Cavalier King Charles spaniels but it would be very difficult to find a good breeder that does appropriate health tests.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojello View Post
Bichon is another to ponder... don't they typically have issues with allergies?
Yes, they can have allergy issues.

Baxter has only had one small allergic reaction (itching at the base of his tail) before we switched him to a grain free food, but it was nothing that a little hydrocortisone ointment couldn't take care of. Since then we haven't had any issues.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Portuguese Water Dog? A smaller female would probably be in your size range.

Maybe a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, if you don't mind a rather...exuberant dog? All of the ones I've met have been nutso, but I'm sure a well bred one isn't. Or, at least, I hope not. LOL

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojello View Post
I actually LOVE Poodles but their softness/sensitivity is a real turn off for me. My Poodle used to frustrate the heck out of me and he knew it. It was a cycle... don't get me wrong, I loved him dearly but... ya.
I've actually thought about a Cocker Spaniel but aren't they also known for horrendous health issues? I absolutely LOVE Cavalier King Charles spaniels but it would be very difficult to find a good breeder that does appropriate health tests.
Agreed, it is difficult! But not impossible. Have you considered in English cocker, at all?

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o