Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-29-2013, 06:05 PM
such sights to show you

So Squash got his CGC today.

I know it's sort of the red-headed stepchild of titles around here, but I'm very proud of him. And with a big bully-looking dog, I want a paper trail a mile long of how "good" he is and how "responsible" we are as owners.

We had taken a short CGC prep course and most of the dogs there were in the class, but there were also a couple of dogs he didn't know there today just to take the test and that is really hard for him. He's so nosy that stuff like that can be distracting enough to make his brain leak out his ears but he really held it together today and did an awesome job, my sweet boy.

So, a good day.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Resident fainting goat

I honestly think Merlin KNEW it was his birthday party today.
I have no other way of explaining his behavior.

Everything I have taught him, everything he KNOWS not to do.. right out the window.

He ate 12 doggy cupcakes, he GOT one, stole the others (from the table, from the mouth of other dogs, from the cabinets)
jumped on the display table during his party and ate more treats than I could count, including an entire cod skin. When caught he grabbed a mouthful of a few more and jumped off the table with GLEE towards his playmates.

He played HARD with the dogs at the store. I mean full throttle running, jumping, barking, chasing..

I had to put him in TIME OUT 3 times! 3 TIMES!

when released from time out he went just as nuts.

He saw a kid and stole his carrot sticks right out of his hand! FROM A CHILD!

He has been in the store before, been around treats before, been around that many other dogs but jesus he has NEVER been like this! He was like a dog gone mad!!
Maybe it was the sugar from the cupcakes? I don't know..

we are back to store training basics. Behind the counter, on leash.

*sigh* at least he had a fun birthday party
Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Behavior Nerd

Snipe debuted in flyball today and now has her FD title! In a large, exceptionally loud, tournament setting, too.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
YAY SQUASH! Don't downplay the accomplishment! A CGC is something Lucy will likely never be capable of getting. We cannot calmly greet other dogs (it's yanking at the end of the leash to say hi (or sometimes snark) unless I have cheese in my hand). You should be super proud of him!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Awww, yay!!! I was probably way more excited than I should have been when Payton got his CGC. I don't care LOL. So you should be proud of Squashy too!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:

I know it's sort of the red-headed stepchild of titles around here, but I'm very proud of him. And with a big bully-looking dog, I want a paper trail a mile long of how "good" he is and how "responsible" we are as owners.

We had taken a short CGC prep course and most of the dogs there were in the class, but there were also a couple of dogs he didn't know there today just to take the test and that is really hard for him. He's so nosy that stuff like that can be distracting enough to make his brain leak out his ears but he really held it together today and did an awesome job, my sweet boy.

So, a good day.
That's awesome! Makes me a little sad when people "poo poo" the CGC like there's something wrong with you and your dog if you can't pass the test - took Juno THREE TRIES to pass hers, I was pretty freaking proud when she finally passed. For a lot of dogs it's just not that easy!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
That's awesome! Makes me a little sad when people "poo poo" the CGC like there's something wrong with you and your dog if you can't pass the test - took Juno THREE TRIES to pass hers, I was pretty freaking proud when she finally passed. For a lot of dogs it's just not that easy!
Well, I very much doubt either Maisy or Pip could pass it. Neither one of them would want strangers handling their feet, etc. and if I ever saw Maisy be polite instead of a huge butt-wiggly tornado for a greeting I'd eat a shoe. But I don't think there's anything wrong with them. Not exactly.

It's kind of a weird test, it's like... not easy, several of the skills are really pretty hard for a lot of dogs. But at the same time, it's not exactly an accurate measure of whether a dog is truly a "good citizen" (whatever that means anyway).

In any case, I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't proud. I really am, I had not prepared nearly as much as I should have but he really held it together and came through. Going into it I was pretty sure he'd flunk the friendly greeting because he doesn't really consider sitting still to be a friendly greeting. But I have mixed feelings about it because at the same time for me it is kind of like a hoop to jump through to add to that "good dog" paper trail rather than a huge personal training goal. If he were smaller or a less potentially "suspicious" looking breed I might not have even bothered.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Just been pacing round and round the yard with Fred trying to work on his show gait, as he likes to pace.

He can gait nicely very well, but has this habit ever since he had the crate rest. Drives me NUTS!!! Well I'm paranoid we have THE big show in a couple of months and it's not raining (finally) so we had a session.

I used the gaiting PDF that someone linked here, and modified it slightly!! SUPER helpful.

Walking around with my arm out straight and him trotting next to me, and me looking slightly behind at his legs and clicking whenever he gaits nice!!! I hope no one was watching as I was navigating my yard with my peripheral vision lol!!

And he GOT IT!!! Well, is getting it. He usually sets out pacing (interestingly he's never paced at a show), and I persisted till his gait changed to a stride and CLICK! Throw treat ahead of him. This is all off lead.

Over and over till he was consistently and more quickly changing to a nice striding pace it's so funny, he's clearly starting to think about how he's moving his legs and does a little hoppy jump to change stride

I reckon if I do this a few times, and work in the cue 'gait' to the nice stride, then move to commanding gait as or just before we set off we should get a nice movement each time!

That's the plan........... And we are working on a more perky looking stand, instead of a omg mum this is so boring stop torturing me stand.

He doesn't show his character when he shows, he thinks it's boring. Need to bring out his inner star!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Training brag:
The other day my mom called me, all excited (buddy and Josefina are staying at the ranch while I am at the track) she said she wen outside to see buddy chewing on a goat skull (I don't know where he found it ... Ugh!) so ... Like I showed her, she went inside and grabbed a treat and went back outside. She called him to her and he actually BROUGHT THE SCULL TO HER for a "trade up"!

She also mentioned that Josefina did the same thing with a dead mole! Only she used her fave toy and played a short game of fetch as a reward.

Yay for training