Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
If I got a good deal on heartguard it would still be a good $30 a month for both dogs....but I just use ivermectin from the feed store to counteract that.

For some people even $10 is a lot (and not because they are buying starbucks etc) but yes, it is something one should budget in having a dog.
Well to be fair, the majority of our clients have dogs weighing under 100# lol so for them, it is less than $10 per month (per dog). I get some people legitimately can't afford (not that that's any better), but the point is most people that say they can't afford it, have no problem spending that money on something else they don't need (like going out to lunch or whatever). It's an easy thing to budget for if you really want to.

But I'll freely admit that my dogs never got heartworm prevention until a couple years ago when I started working at a vet clinic - and therefore got free product. Even then I only gave it for 6 months out of the year, which isn't even right if your intention is to give it seasonally. Having Happy is what drove it home for me that hey, heartworms really do exist! And so I'm much more.... passionate about prevention; year-round.

Quote:
My personal favorite is "Oh I stopped giving that because we never had a problem with it."

You never had a problem with heartworm when your dog was on heartworm preventative? YOU DON'T SAY?!

(Most infamously said by a client after a dog I got as a rehome from them tested positive for heartowrm.)
LOL oh my! I've gotten that comment before but never followed up by that ironic result!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013