Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Vizsla mom

Woohoo Summer& Mia ..where are the videos of these two doing their thing?!

Penn& I pack up tomorrow& head out early Sat AM to audit Saturday& participate Sunday. I'm so nervous. To go from a rock steady, driven BC to a touch& go dog with focus issues ..think I can convince Briar's owner to fly him to me before the clinic?!
I'm starting to get really overwhelmed thinking about it& feeling a horror in my gut that she's just not going to pay any attention& we'll have wasted everyones time by attending. It sucks to be so nervous. And I'm not sure what I can do tomorrow before we leave to help with it.. I did our wraps this evening& she rocked it, doing multiple wraps off the hand signal. It's just a foundations class with jumps& tunnels but we won't have ANY success if I can't get her mind out of the overstimulated excitement of it all.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Excited to get back into agility. Just signed Jackson up for a 7 week class.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
OH and teeter! Mia did 3 happy teeters. I could tell she's still a bit worried but I think salami is overcoming that.
Ahahaha squeeze cheese is what I used for Georgie's teeter. Yummy food trumps teeter buggies in most cases...

Don't be nervous yvonne! Whatever happens is an opportunity to learn, train, and work on something. Even if she's overstimulated you have a great opportunity (with a great trainer) to be able to work on that. Everything is always a training opportunity!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Vizsla mom

Yeah, definitely trying to see it as a learning experience rather than needing to be the best in the class. I think I'm the only 'off' breed attending, so we'll be nearer to the bottom.

At the very least, hopefully, we can get some helpful hints on how to get FOCUS from the dog. I mean, she does have it. It's just so touch& go ..it bothers me a little& I am quick to get frustrated and just end the game of agility. Which probably isn't helpful/ the best solution aha
Old 09-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Top Dog

I started agility with Skye last week, so it's been two classes now . I am pretty pleased with how she has been in the class..I'm already thinking maybe I need to get into a more foundation-y class and see if we can get somewhere. She does really well on the equipment, even the stuff she doesn't know she's pretty game to work on it with me. I'm not sure how she is going to be to be 'handled' totally off lead, I have always envisioned her kind of running amok once she gets comfortable. She even does this in the yard..we will do a couple of jumps off lead and then she just kind of checks out and runs off. Shrug...oh well, we are having fun learning something new .

Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Top Dog

I'm not incredibly thrilled with the classes for agility I have for options. The main problem being that Robin knows too much to be in the novice and too little to be in the intermediate. I'm wondering - do you experienced people think I can teach most of what he needs to know via Silvia Trkman's classes and DVDs??
Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Woohoo Summer& Mia ..where are the videos of these two doing their thing?!
I know, I know... I need some videos. I especially need one of Summer since she's so funny and into it. She's definitely proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe I can at least get some videos at the november trial. It's been hard since most my friends are working the entire trial at every trial I've been to.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Some good stuff today and I love my new trainer. She's been great at pointing out my handling inconsistencies (there's a lot). My dogs rocked tonight even though both went off course quite a few times- every time was my fault. I need to think more about what I am doing with my body and not so much about just hurrying to get ahead.

Summer is more handler focused and Mia is more obstacle focused so that's been challenging. I have to exaggerate with Summer a bit more to get her to cue the right discrimination. I also have a bad habit of not paying attention to what Summer is doing when we go to set up and also once we're done. Apparently she's criss-crossing behind me and that is causing some of our issues with her wanting to switch sides on me mid-run.

OH and teeter! Mia did 3 happy teeters. I could tell she's still a bit worried but I think salami is overcoming that.

I hope it continues to go well before the November trial.
Jackson does what Summer does (or rather I do what you do) and I tend to be so focused on remembering which obstacles I'm supposed to be going to, and which direction, that I forgot after a few seconds I have a poor dog trying to follow my direction, I am probably so confusing

And the last time we did an agility class was over 10 months ago, so I'm excited to get back to working again. Teeter was our biggest obstacle.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm All Ears

The thing that was really tripping us up last week was the start of our course. It was straight tunnel, jump, dogwalk, into a curved tunnel on the left hand, pick up the dog out of the tunnel on the right and send them into a tunnel that was under the dog walk and the entrance to the tunnel was right at the entrance to the dogwalk. Then we flipped it later to where we sent them through the tunnels first then the dog walk. Both my dogs LOVE the dogwalk so sending them to the tunnel was not so easy. I also have a tendency to want to get way ahead because when they get going (esp Summer), I can't keep up. So my trainer pointed out I was getting there way way before them and crowding the entrance.

I also had a missed front cross after the tunnel, going to the Aframe and let out a big expletive. LOL I just completely forgot where the course was going.

And I found out two of my classmates quit that class- one moved to Weds and the other went to just private lessons. I feel jerky for being excited about that but that means there's only 4 dogs in class and I'll get a lot more time in.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Object discrimination as a skill is next on my list for Payton. I think he will surprise me but Auggie's objection discrimination with tunnels under contact obstacles really just consisted of yelling the correct obstacle really really loud and praying he felt like listening that day LOL. Contact obstacles were Auggie's fave too so it was tough sometimes. He would try to go halfway across the course to get a contact obstacle somewhere totally different than we were standing if he was in that kind of mood. =P

I would like something better with P!!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog