Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Kung Pow Fish

First and foremost and imo most important, is transparency. A breeder must be honest with me, even if its not the pretty or nice side of things. They need to be willing to discuss things and be open to criticism or really tough questions.
Secondly they need to have high standards for their breeding stock, even if their priorities are not the same as mine, they need to at least HAVE them.
Health testing and titling is negotiable, and doesnt feature on my list, oddly enough.
Everything else will vary by breed and are nitpicky things like must not use XYZ bloodlines, or whatnot.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:07 PM
orange iguanas.

*Health testing
*Know the puppies and recommend/pick the best fit for me! Because if it's up to me I just pick the cutest one.
*Live in the home, socialized
*No more than one litter on the ground at a time
*Breeding dogs with nice, stable temperaments
*Nice breeder, as a person
*Good word of mouth. There are lots of breeder I see that look good on paper, and then people who are in the breed say NO NO NO. I want people who can say YES, would recommend.

That's what the top of my head has come up with it.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-24-2013, 02:04 AM
Top Dog

1. Honesty- honest about the abilities of the dogs being bred
3. Breed for working ability- only because it increases the chances of getting a solid working dog if that is the primary breeding goal
2.Thorough understanding of breeding concepts- can't do. A very good job of breeding if you don't know how to get to your goal
4. Appropriate health testing- unnecessary testing shows ignorance of the breed & lack of appropriate testing shows ignorance & an inability to do #3
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Big Dog

I pick the lines I like first and then the breeder second.

I like dogs who can do what they were bred to do, end of story. To me, herding dogs that can't herd are nothing more then companions. That's why I chose Cardigans over Pems in the first place, that and I don't like a needy-in-your-face kind of dog.

Health testing is important, but the problem with that is that there is no guarentee that just because the parents were health tested the puppies will all be healthy. Certain things you can control and if it is controllable I do expect for the breeder to take into consideration.

For example, while hips are polygenic (meaning many different factors go together to create "good" hips) bad hips breed bad hips down the line. If a dog has an OFA fair, I wouldn't breed to it unless it had tight hips. I don't mind a dog with looser hips if the structures themselves are good. I would also want hips, elbows and spine done as well.

Problems like DM, IVDD, PRA can be bred out, and I would fully expect those tests to be done if it is not known by pedigree the status of the individual being bred.

Autoimmune issues like hemolytic anemia, Addisons disease, Von Willebrand's, Mega Esophagus, Allergies, Thyroid issues, Alopecia, etc should also be taken into consideration. Even if it's a sibling of a dog with those characteristics that you're breeding to, you really need to be careful. Those are other things I would and have researched very carefully.

Midline issues, liver shunts, etc are something else I would want to know about. Again, even if the dog has a sibling who had a hernia that closed or a mild cleft palate that took care of itself or a shark bite etc those are all midline problems and they can be carried down the line quite easily.

If a breeder is honest with me about those things and I KNOW what I'm getting into, then they must also have versatile dogs. I fully expect for them to have their dogs in herding and conformation, and I expect no less of myself. Obedience, agility, Rally-O, Flyball, DiscDog are all great, but I'd rather have a breeder who participates in field trials, herding, or Earth Dog.

I would also expect the breeder to take the dog back at any time if I cannot care for it, and also to provide a two year health guarentee that includes reimbursing me for the cost of the dog should a genetic issue crop up that is expensive to fix.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
I pick the lines I like first and then the breeder second.
I totally agree with this and do this too.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

I know I've really changed my opinion of what a good breeder does over the years (and I haven't even bought a dog in the last 13.5 years). I used to think that titling was the "be all end all." I certainly don't anymore. I value the dog and breeder more than titles I guess?

I've also developed an unwavering love of tails. I really adore my breed, I really love tails. My breeder selection is severely limited if I go "the breeder route." Although, with this specific breeder's decision to leave tails, other breeders are taking note...!

Interesting to read, very interesting!

If I were to add a couple more:
6) I'd want the breeder to have knowledge of every dog produced
7) I want to be able to talk about all the dogs in the household, not just the "active" ones
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Resident fainting goat

Breeder has a process for matching puppies/homes that makes sense and that takes care/time.

Oh and breeder isn't crazy as a bag of cats because I need to trust the breeder to choose a puppy for me and be honest about evaluating them/their parents.

and crazy breeders have a way of extending their crazy into the lives of people who buy from them..
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

1. Dogs live in the home, and are treated as companions AND sporting/working dogs.
2. Health testing is done on breeding dogs, to the "standard" of the breed. Preferably health testing is done on their puppies as well, to have an idea of what kind of dogs they're producing.
3. Dogs are bred to standard (temperament, structure, etc.) And the breeder can explain strengths and faults in her dogs.
4. The dogs are versatile, able to do a variety of things, and have the ability to do what they were bred for.
5. Breeder is knowledgeable about nutrition and veterinary care, and is open to alternative or holistic medicine.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

I typically go the adoption route, however when I decided to get Kili these were the things that were really important to me.

1. All dogs AND puppies live in the house. No kennels.

2. Adult dogs are friendly and well tempered.

3. Puppies have been well socialized, vet checked, and started to be introduced to environments that will be a big part of their life with me (i.e. agility equipment, baby wobble boards, etc.)

4. Adult breeding dogs have been health/genetic tested for common problems within the breed.

5. Breeder produces a responsible number of dogs. I don't care if they have more than one litter at a time, but overall I want to know that they aren't churning out more puppies than I feel is reasonable. When I got Kili her breeder had 2 litters a week apart in age, however they were her first litters in over 2 years. That's okay with me. I don't think she expected both females to catch.

I have more but that's what's important to me off the top of my head.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I want dogs that are currently being worked in the sports I enjoy, I love versatility.

I want a well experienced and educated breeder.

The dogs should have calm, deep grips, strong drives, and enough quick twitch for flash. I prefer a natural retrieve.

Puppies should begin exposure early on and foundations should be entirely positive with drive nurturing play.

The dogs must maintain a less likely chance for DA.

Akc registration and no spay/neuter contract.

I want appropriate structure, X-rays available is a great plus.
I'm just going to go ahead and this^ this.