Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

Default What is important to you?

I know we've had similar discussions before (and maybe even the same) but... what does a breeder need to do (or not do) for you to consider him/her responsible?

I know it's never cut and dried, ever. But I'm just curious!

Top five for me:
1) Dogs live in the home
2) Dogs are health tested, at least minimally, according to breed "need"
3) Breeder is knowledgeable about nutrition
4) Sire and dam are "dog social"
5) Puppies are exposed to a very wide variety of "things" with positive associations in mind
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

It's hard just to pick five. There are lots of things. But here are the ones that I thought of first for my ideal breeder.

In no particular order...

- Knows their dogs/lines inside and out in every way possible. Temperamentally, health wise, structurally, etc. Health testing would go along with this for the majority of breeds, but I would be more lenient in certain breeds where it's not common practice yet as long as the breeder can tell me about their dogs and experiences health wise.

- Is communicative. This is one I'm really thankful to one of my dogs' breeders for today. I want to stay in touch and be in the know if something unexpected or 'bad' happens. I also just like being able to share pictures and brags with my breeder and know that they're appreciative.

- Doesn't have more dogs than they can properly care for and love. I want to know that my breeder truly knows the dogs that they have when it comes to what it's like to live with them as pets, to what it's like to work with them, what their quirks are, if there are any food sensitivities, etc. I like a breeder whose dogs live in as regular a home/family environment as is possible.

- Exposes their puppies to all sorts of different stimuli. I want a puppy that's been handled from day one, has heard all kinds of noises, seen different things, has walked and played on different surfaces, has had has many positive experiences as possible, has seen that tantrums won't get them anywhere, etc.

- Has dogs that are people and dog social. The dogs need to be able to go places and do things and keep their wits about them and also are accomplished in different venues so I know I'm not buying just a pretty face, but also one that will likely succeed in different activities as well as as my pet.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Twin 2

-Human and dog friendly dogs
-Solid nerved dogs
-Healthy overall
-Happy, satisfied puppy buyers
-The type of dog I want
-No spay/neuter contract
-Trust in the breeder

Everything else I can work around if the breeder is producing the type and kind of dogs I want.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

-sire and dam are health tested, and hopefully generations back are as well.
-breeder knows their lines inside and out. Knows the pros and cons of their lines and not afraid to tell me what they are and what they are trying to improve
-no alter contract, or at least keep the dog intact until they are fully mature physically.
-Dogs are socialized to different sounds, surfaces, stimuli and people when they are with the breeder.
-A breeder that wants a relationship with. Before and after you get the pup and throughout the pups life.
-When it come to a Boerboel I wanted a pup out of parents who are socially friendly. I didn't want a crazy friendly dog, but it needs to be ok out in public.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

I've never gotten from a breeder and probably never will, but if I were looking these are the most important things I'd want to see (in no particular order)

1. Health testing of all dogs they breed, preferably CHIC numbers but I don't know if it would be a requirement

2. Some form of titling or work that says something about their dogs temperaments (TDI, working titles, sport titles)

3. They don't have a huge number of dogs, I want to be sure they interact with all of their dogs, beyond simply feeding and letting out to go to the bathroom, daily. That way they know their dogs well and the dogs are well cared for.

4. Puppies are well socialized to various stimuli from birth and were not raised exclusively outdoors/in a kennel.

5. Breeder is honest and wants a relationship with you, you are now part of their extended family, it's not just a business transaction.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I'm probably missing something, but here's a stab at it:

-- Honest and forthright with all pertinent information.
-- Knowledgeable about the breed/type and his/her lines, both past and present, and makes breeding decisions to benefit both.
-- Observes, understands, and can accurately describe physical and mental traits in dogs. This ties into assessing workability and matching dogs to the right homes.
-- Appropriate health testing and record keeping
-- Appropriate puppy raising practices to start pups off on the right path from day one. Commits to the dog for life. Genuinely likes his/her dogs and being with them, working with them, while still being able to objectively assess their strengths and weaknesses.

I guess this is more what I want to see in a breeder from whom I am considering getting a dog. As for traits I want to see in the dogs themselves, that is a different (though related) discussion.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm All Ears

Right now I just want dogs from lines that are healthy and with good temperaments that are suited to work. But yes healthy long working dogs is #1 right now. Oh and they'll let me ILP in akc at least. I'll work around anything else.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Top five things I look for:
1.) Type/Conformation - aka, I want the breeder to be breeding towards something in terms of conformation. For me, personally, that typically means a very moderate, well balanced type. Doesn't have to be "show" or "field"...just a well balanced, good looking dog. Even if they wouldn't title in a show ring.

2.) Health - the breeder must be screening for diseases that afflict the breed, and if the dog isn't being screened for a certain issue, they better have a dang good reason for why not. I want to feel 110% confident my dog is going to be healthy.

3.) Temperament - the breeder needs to have dogs with solid nerves, and that needs to be backed up by something other than just their opinion. (Other people, titles, etc.)

4.) Pups off to a good start - this includes socialization, deworming, vaccines, vet checks, clean environment, etc., etc.

5.) A good reputation - satisfied puppy buyers, especially satisfied puppy buyers that have similar wants and goals as you do.

6.) No invasive contract! I don't want to be told what food I must feed, what vaccine I must give, what toys I must use, how I must train, or when I must alter my dog!

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Resident fainting goat

- Dogs live in the home
- Dogs are health tested
- Dogs have some kind of job (show, working, therapy dogs, sport, etc..)
- Knows lines/breeds for health FIRST AND FOREMOST
- Never breeds dogs with aggressive/less than stellar temperament
- Puts health/temperament before sport/work/show
- Puppy raising done right (exposed to lots of stimuli, socialized, loved on, inside the home etc..)
- Breeder will accept any dog/puppy back AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON
- Dogs are loved pets first and foremost and there are a reasonable amount of them in the house (I want my puppy to be from a dog that is a loved house dog that the breeder TRULY KNOWS the temperament of. No kennels)
- Well rounded versatile dog
- Nice breeder (genuinely involved, easy to reach, pleasant to talk to, supportive)
Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I want dogs that are currently being worked in the sports I enjoy, I love versatility.

I want a well experienced and educated breeder.

The dogs should have calm, deep grips, strong drives, and enough quick twitch for flash. I prefer a natural retrieve.

Puppies should begin exposure early on and foundations should be entirely positive with drive nurturing play.

The dogs must maintain a less likely chance for DA.

Akc registration and no spay/neuter contract.

I want appropriate structure, X-rays available is a great plus.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.