Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Pretty much what Emily said. My experience with well bred (show bred) terriers of all sorts has not at all been that they lack terrier-ness. Perhaps if you got to know more of your local terrier people and their dogs, you'd find what you are looking for is not all that uncommon.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Puppy Dog

Patterdale terrier. They come in a broken coated variety.
I also agree with the JRT or Parson Russell. JRT's are amazing!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

In big terriers,I love the Airedale!.
Cool dog,fun,clown like and can wrestle with yr other dogs.
My father has a female with a wirehair,standard Dackshund & both are cool dogs.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

That covers most terriers. I like Cairns and Borders, personally.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
What is bringing you to the conclusion that show bred terriers automatically lack prey drive?

Honestly we see some show bred terriers of many breeds at my work and I can tell you none of them are anything to scoff at. We have an Irish Terrier (well bred) who is a lovely dog but when he senses a chance to fight or hunt, he is absolutely serious in his pursuit. We also have a Welsh Terrier who is insane (and frankly infuriating in daycare). Etc etc. You will need to research lines for sure, and I cannot speak for the specifics of actually hunting with such dogs, but I can tell you that IME they are not exactly stuffed animals just because they're bred for conformation. Most I see seem to have prey drive and tenacity in spades, and certainly don't lack for "terrierness."

Border Terriers are really nice dogs. A rough or broken coated JRT would fit the bill as well.
I don't think it's so much a complete lack of "terrierness" as a degree of "terrierness." An intense working bred fell, pat or jagd is just MUCH more work to make livable (PITA to the AVERAGE lazy dog own) than other less driven terriers. On the scale of intensity MOST (but definitely not all) working bred dogs are more work than MOST showbred and BYBs are all over the map.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
I don't think it's so much a complete lack of "terrierness" as a degree of "terrierness." An intense working bred fell, pat or jagd is just MUCH more work to make livable (PITA to the AVERAGE lazy dog own) than other less driven terriers. On the scale of intensity MOST (but definitely not all) working bred dogs are more work than MOST showbred and BYBs are all over the map.
I don't disagree with the idea of varying degree of prey drive and tenacity, but that's not what the OP suggested. She seemed to think they entirely lacked prey drive and terrierness, which has not been my experience whatsoever. The show bred terriers I know are no joke and can have deadly serious intent when hunting and fighting.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Sport Model Pug

What exactly do you want the dog for? Like what purpose do you have that needs to be met by high prey drive and extreme terrierness?

You really need to lay out your expectations and purpose for this dog before anyone could really give you an idea. A working bred terrier might not be a good fit for you depending on what you want.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Thanks guys for the help. I think what my issue with just show breeder is that is just what they are. Most of the breeders I looked into don't do anything else with their dogs. Now If I could find a show breeder that also rats their dogs or their dogs kill vermin on their farm or acreage. I would be ok with that. And it is Westie breeders that I have been looking into mainly

I have to add I am just in the beginning's of looking at breeders. So I have not fully started researching breeders yet. Just a glance at breeders websites.

What I want is a dog I can take vermin hunting, grouse hunting and the like. I like the terrier attitude and everything that goes with it. This is not my first terrier. I know what to expect with a high prey drive and independent, stubborn streak that goes with a terrier

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
Thanks guys for the help. I think what my issue with just show breeder is that is just what they are. Most of the breeders I looked into don't do anything else with their dogs. Now If I could find a show breeder that also rats their dogs or their dogs kill vermin on their farm or acreage. I would be ok with that. And it is Westie breeders that I have been looking into mainly

I have to add I am just in the beginning's of looking at breeders. So I have not fully started researching breeders yet. Just a glance at breeders websites.

What I want is a dog I can take vermin hunting, grouse hunting and the like. I like the terrier attitude and everything that goes with it. This is not my first terrier. I know what to expect with a high prey drive and independent, stubborn streak that goes with a terrier
That makes sense. If I were you, I might attend some dog shows and some performance events, and just talk to people. You might be able to get wind of certain kennels and lines that are still producing the kind of dog you want. It can be hard when you're just looking through websites to find what you want, but much easier when you meet some dogs yourself and talk to some people.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Another thing to consider is that people who show and hunt might not be advertising that they hunt their dogs either.

As for my recommendation, well, obviously I think Ado JRTs are pretty freaking fantastic

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi