Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Behavior Nerd

I am just so **** proud of my dogs this weekend I have to share!

On Friday, Kestrel and Ziva finished their Rally Advanced titles and were the only dogs in Advanced A to qualify. Ziva had a score of 96 and took 1st, Kestrel had a score of 85 and got 2nd. The judge was pretty strict and judged from a wheelchair, which is new for Kestrel, so that made our scores even sweeter!

Then, Kestrel, Aeri, and Snipe had two days of dockdogs Sat/Sun. This was their haul (with two small placement ribbons from Saturday excluded):

Kestrel set a new personal best in Speed Retrieve by almost a full second, placed 5th overall in said SR and placed 2nd in Masters Finals in Big Air. What a dog!

Aeri was a spazz and forgot her stays in BA and tired out in Extreme Vertical after only a few jumps, BUT she also scored a new personal best in SR, and placed 3rd overall in SR.

Snipe just did BA and tied her personal best as well as taking 5th place in Junior BA Finals.

Such awesome puppies!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Aware

My goal for the end of the year is to get one leg in some venue on Emmy.

Bloo is doing really well with meeting new people lately. <3

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

I need someone to come train Gwen because she's so smart. I really feel like I'm failing her. So many of you do these awesome things with your dog(s) and I just...don't. We've went lure coursing ONCE.

I forget how quickly she learns new tricks and how much she loves to please me. Until I'm like "Hmm.. I wonder if she'll do this." and she just...does it.

Example: I was trying to find a way to crate both dogs in the bedroom but, for lack of space, wasn't seeing a reasonable option. I decided to stack the crates since I've seen others do it. I asked Gwen to jump up into her crate and after maybe 3 lures with treats, she just jumps in and out 5 times in a row. And she has every time that I've asked her to. Maybe that's just me being easily amazed, but it seemed pretty impressive to me.

How do you find motivation, time, money, all the things? I feel so lost and I just keep putting off doing an obedience class with her. I've tried to find clubs and trainers but a lot of them seem very meh to me. (A lot of it is me. I'm not a very active person and I get easily stressed out.) I know she could do so many awesome things if only I weren't holding her back.

Do I need to move to Minnesota?

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I am just so **** proud of my dogs this weekend I have to share!
As well you should be - CONGRATS!!!

My good news - we brought Steele to IPO this weekend. I am working with him on his heeling so he can go for his BH. He had so much fun, it was adorable. I just love him! We need to get stacked pics so I can AKC register him and get his little title!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 AM
The Monster.

I figured that I'd take a quick photo/video of Cohen's handstand progression this morning rather than getting ready for work. Because, hey, it's Friday, and I like dogs more than work.

It's become more of a headstand if I ask her to hold it for any length of time. But for a 40 pound dog with no tail to act as ballast, I'm pretty damned proud of her. The video below gives you an idea of the duration she's starting to be able to achieve.

So happy with this silly dog. I'm starting to be able to get a bit of distance on the behaviour (which was how I was able to snap this photo). I'd ultimately like for her to hold the behaviour on some sort of platform while I move 6 feet away or so and move around her. We're almost there!

We're working on a walking handstand too, but it's kind of messy and haphazard.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I need someone to come train Gwen because she's so smart. I really feel like I'm failing her. So many of you do these awesome things with your dog(s) and I just...don't. We've went lure coursing ONCE.

I forget how quickly she learns new tricks and how much she loves to please me. Until I'm like "Hmm.. I wonder if she'll do this." and she just...does it.

Example: I was trying to find a way to crate both dogs in the bedroom but, for lack of space, wasn't seeing a reasonable option. I decided to stack the crates since I've seen others do it. I asked Gwen to jump up into her crate and after maybe 3 lures with treats, she just jumps in and out 5 times in a row. And she has every time that I've asked her to. Maybe that's just me being easily amazed, but it seemed pretty impressive to me.

How do you find motivation, time, money, all the things? I feel so lost and I just keep putting off doing an obedience class with her. I've tried to find clubs and trainers but a lot of them seem very meh to me. (A lot of it is me. I'm not a very active person and I get easily stressed out.) I know she could do so many awesome things if only I weren't holding her back.

Do I need to move to Minnesota?
I don't compete anymore either, I used to travel all over the state of texas when I was younger showing dogs, but life and responsibilities got in the way.

Now I just do tricks in my back yard LOL, "Ghetto agility" LOL, I make jumps and obstacles out of scrap piping and fencing (as long as its safe) in order to keep Josefina challenged LOL. Maybe you could do something like that until you find the time or the money for organized classes?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

Cohen is AWESOME!!

Robin has learned a loaded box turn and Limit is doing a decent turn off my push board. I'm happy.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM
such sights to show you

I'm taking a nosework class with Squash, and I was practicing on the car today. We haven't really had any "homework" but I wanted to work on my handling skills a little bit.

At first he was confused while we were hanging around the car until he caught the scent and then I could practically see a little light bulb go on in his head. "We can... we can do this ANYWHERE?!" Aheheh.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Cohen is AWESOME!!

Robin has learned a loaded box turn and Limit is doing a decent turn off my push board. I'm happy.
Thanks Falon. It's sad, but my dog is so many, many times more buff than I am.

Can't wait to see Robin's progress. Kastle seemed to learn really fast.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 09-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Thanks Falon. It's sad, but my dog is so many, many times more buff than I am.

Can't wait to see Robin's progress. Kastle seemed to learn really fast.
LOL I may be a little overweight but I take pride in my dogs' muscle tone and lean stature! haha

I need to video! Our basement training room has such poor lighting I haven't bothered but I'll give it a whirl next week.

Kastle does learn really fast, provided it's something I can move/lure him into easily. If it's something where he has to THINK it through, there is a lot of barking, biting, spinning, slamming into things LOL He is not a dog that enjoys free shaping - at all!