Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I really want to own an African gray parrot and have been really interested in wanting a bird lately, but I'm a bit afraid of birds. My parents had a bird when I was growing up that kept trying to bite me. We have a a blue front amazon or whatever at work and I'm at the top of his hit list and he chased me out of a room the other day. So... Ya I'm a little afraid of getting bit by a bird. But yet I still want a gray.

How do I get past my fear?

Ugh. Real world problems.
I would start finding some friendly birds that you can regularly handle. I used to be not used to handling or interacting with birds, but my bosses at work have 10 or so between them, plus we get some into work regularly. I can handle our pair of Pionus and Umbrella Cockatoo just fine, and am working on being friends with a unfriendly Pionus.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
I really want to own an African gray parrot and have been really interested in wanting a bird lately, but I'm a bit afraid of birds. My parents had a bird when I was growing up that kept trying to bite me. We have a a blue front amazon or whatever at work and I'm at the top of his hit list and he chased me out of a room the other day. So... Ya I'm a little afraid of getting bit by a bird. But yet I still want a gray.

The only way to get passed it is to hang out with some birds really. I mean your fear isn't unwarranted, they are like toddlers with beaks that can take a finger but like dogs, birds that like someone won't use their mouths to harm.

I won't go into it but just.. large birds are enormous time and money (expensive bird, expensive cage, expensive food, expensive vet bills) and life commitment. They are so much more than pets.. it's really like having a child. A child with EXTENSIVE dietary, socialization and interaction needs. And a child that can scream loud enough to be heard a mile away.. usually at the crack of dawn. Grey's that don't get enough time out, enough stimulation, enough attention..will scream and will self mutilate and lash out.

Our cockatoo can TELL when people are hesitant/scared of him. and he makes judgements and just straight up doesn't like certain people and tests his boundaries.. like a toddler. Even with us. He throws tantrums and it's important to be 100% confident with him or else he will continue to use his beak to get what he wants.

Like dogs, just remember.. they CAN but they usually won't use their mouths to harm.

Don't watch them eat carrots.

Oh and it's african grey*

They can make amazing companions I would start with bird rescues, zoo, pet stores, youtube videos.. check out some birds that are good with people, and get an idea of what they are like
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

Are there any bird specialty stores nearby? They usually have frequently handled birds that are pretty gentle. The store I got my grey from (all 19 years ago, lol) was always welcoming to people coming in, learning about birds, spending time with them, etc.

My grey is a devil, though. But he's moderately evil
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Vizsla mom

I think a fear of birds is genuinely justified LOL
Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Agility freak!

I am being told I will have to go out of province for training for work in two weeks, and I can't find anyone to watch Simi for me while I am gone. Not even my mother or sister! COME ON, PEOPLE. My dog isn't THAT bad! lol

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 09-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Vizsla mom

Ship to CB?! LOL
Old 09-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Ship to CB?! LOL
Haha, I am actually going to Halifax for work! :P She's a bitchy pain in the ass, is her biggest issue. *sigh*I am going to have to guilt my mom into it. I even contacted her breeder and she hasn't gotten back to me.

ETA: Simi is a bitchy pain in the ass, not my mom lol

Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Vizsla mom

HEY! I'll be in Halifax in two weeks ..I think. I'm drunk so maybe I'll recheck in the AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
HEY! I'll be in Halifax in two weeks ..I think. I'm drunk so maybe I'll recheck in the AM.
LOL! I am going the week of the 30th. Will be pretty busy with work though. Blah. And boyfriend will be with me, but I am hoping to get SOME sight seeing in, at least.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Vizsla mom

Yup, I'll be Halifax bound that weekend. Penn& I are hunting quail. LOL.
Enjoy ..there's not much to see. NB is a much better place than Haliworld. Although, I will gladly crate my dog& take you all out dancing if that is what you feel like doing LOL!