Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
That's how Blackie was. He got to the point where I could have him out in public/etc. on leash and he would ignore other dogs, but if another dog growled or acted aggressive in any way he would become aggressive. In 4H dog obedience he let a little Golden puppy climb over him after it broke its down stay (and before the owner could grab it), but when a cattle dog snarked two dogs ahead of me during a heeling exercise he was ready to kill it.

I've always had DA dogs in one regard or another, until now. It is definitely a management adjustment, but it isn't the end of the world. Would you be able to get him used to wearing a basket muzzle? Then maybe if/when your mom becomes his sole caretaker, you can worry less about her having to micromanage him if he's wearing the muzzle just as a precaution.
Simi is trained to wear a muzzle, just because she can be a rude bitch sometimes. She loves it. She knows it means something fun is about to happen, and she will run and play with it on like normal, so this might be an option for you.

Also, and since I don't know much about the situation this might be crazy, have you had him to see a vet about this sudden change in attitude thing?

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Free to good home: one brown dog who has been trying to invade my bed and jump on my head since the early hours, who got me out of bed and dressed to take him for a wee in the rain, and who is now persistently whining for food and/or to sniff cats and doesn't seem to realise I'm not going to move!! Who jumped in my bed and spread eagled in it when I went for a wee in the night and point blank refused to get out till I pushed him out, and who is a general lump!!

And if he's whining to go for a poo I will actually kill him, because he refused to go last night in the dark thinking it was more fun to try and chase night bunnies, and didn't go again JUST NOW when I got out of my nice warm bed to take him out in the RAIN! He better just stick a cork in it!!!!

I have no idea how people without back gardens or yards cope with dogs... Having to get dressed and go out every time your dog needs the toilet is INSANE!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Not a Border Collie

Devan I am so sorry about your problems with Ripley. I remember feeling the same way when Quinn's reactivity was at its worst. I still have anxiety sometimes. I wish we lived closer! I know of some good walking spots (or you could just use our hayfield!).

I'm just really in love with my dog right now. To the people who ever said Quinn had a bad disposition (because she didn't like dogs, but is bombproof in every other way?) - SUCK IT. She is turning out to be the best babysitter ever for Ned. My mom and I joke that Ned was the guinea pig to see how she'd be when I eventually get my next ES - I have no worries! If she can deal with wild man Ned without going insane, an ES should be a breeze!

Ned is doing great. He's not quite the whirlwind of teeth and badassery he was LOL. He's doing great at being more gentle, and sticks mostly to his toys now. And he's awesome at asking to go out - he sits right in front of the door and stares at the edge of it until someone notices.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 09-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm All Ears

I have no idea what was going on with Mia last night. She would. Not. Sleep. She paced up and down the bed then would sit and growl a bit the get up and pace again until I told her to knock it off. She'd settle a moment then was back at it.

No idea at all
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Resident fainting goat

In less than 10 days my baby Merlin boy will be a year old (Journey too!) isn't it hard to believe?

Feels like it was only yesterday..

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Not a Border Collie

Merlin was the CUTEST. I remember reading those updates and sooo hoping you'd end up with him (because he was totally my type too!).

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 09-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Free to good home: one brown dog who has been trying to invade my bed and jump on my head since the early hours, who got me out of bed and dressed to take him for a wee in the rain, and who is now persistently whining for food and/or to sniff cats and doesn't seem to realise I'm not going to move!! Who jumped in my bed and spread eagled in it when I went for a wee in the night and point blank refused to get out till I pushed him out, and who is a general lump!!

And if he's whining to go for a poo I will actually kill him, because he refused to go last night in the dark thinking it was more fun to try and chase night bunnies, and didn't go again JUST NOW when I got out of my nice warm bed to take him out in the RAIN! He better just stick a cork in it!!!!

I have no idea how people without back gardens or yards cope with dogs... Having to get dressed and go out every time your dog needs the toilet is INSANE!
I had a dog in an apartment, BUT I took her to the stables every day where I kept my horses, they had trails & I would take her on a minimum two hour trail ride every day unless the weather wasn't cooperating. The trails were super shady & there was a creek she could cool off in if she got too hot.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Silence, peasants.

Default The dog musing/vent thread

I love Wesley. He snuggled with me all morning, and then my mum just texted that he slept on my bed all day while I was gone. Re: the worried about Wesley thing, the problem I'm having is I don't want 2 dogs, I want to go from 0 to 1. But I guess it'll just fall into place. Just don't really have time to raise a puppy and be Wesley's #1 too.

Oh and there is a super adorable pitty mix on this subway. I want him too.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle

Last edited by Oko; 09-19-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 PM
such sights to show you

Tonight at nosework we were working outside in the parking lot. To alleviate his boredom at waiting in the car for his turn, Squash pulled a 5 gallon bottle of water off the floor onto the back seat and chewed the nozzle off.

I mean, I'm pretty good at not leaving tempting things laying around for the dogs to get into but COME ON. A plastic 5 gallon bottle of water?! *facepalm*

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Getting the dogs new tags since their tag collars don't hold the Boomerangs. I've got Rider's picked out.. but I just can't nail one down for Harlow.

She's just so sassy and diva like, but so awesome all at the same time. I'd like something feminine, but edgy and I just can't figure it out. They have a daisy one, which would look good with her new yellow collar... but I feel like Daisies are so staple.

Rider's future tag:

If anyone has recommendations for Harlow, PLEASE HALP with my first world problems.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle