Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I broke Abrams.

He holds completely still for every kind of medical procedure...but he submissively urinates. I've tried to make everything a positive experience for him, but he refuses treats and just shuts down. Ugh. I don't know where I went wrong or what I did, and now I have to figure out how to fix it, because being peed on by him when I clean out his ears is not fun.
the same dog mentioned below is a submissive urinator ... I HATE it ... hate hate HATE it to the point where I don't do anything medically to her unless we are outside & she is on dirt because her submissive urinating is so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
Kind of sad that I think my walks with all four dogs at once have to come to an end. :-( Unless I start getting up at the crack of dawn so that I know for sure nobody else will be at my park/field. Or just scope out whether my field is empty or not first, or just put a leash on him when I see another dog... I don't know.

Ripley's becoming increasingly not trustworthy with other dogs as of late. Mostly males, but some females too. And he won't instigate a fight, but if he hears any growling or anything he wants in on it and has attempted to 'attack' two dogs now. I knew this was a possibility with his breed, but I always hoped it would never happen. We don't go to real dog parks, but the field I do walk in does have a few other people and dogs in it, and the one and only dog we ran into on Friday he was not nice to. Granted, the other dog snarked at my girls first because it apparently didn't like being greeted (even politely) by multiple dogs, but Ripley came flying across the field from where he was and tried to aggressively grab the dog. He used to avoid confrontation at all costs... not anymore. I guess I should be happy that he didn't actually do any damage and I was able to call him off and put his leash on him, but still, not a reaction I ever really expected of him (based on personality and not breed) and I'm a little heartbroken that it's come to this. But I just feel like it's asking for trouble to continue to take him, and I don't want to be the moron at the park who takes a dog there known to not always be friendly with other dogs. He's still dog friendly most of the time, but there have been a couple of moments now that have concerned me.

And I don't know how to exercise him now, which makes me even sadder. I don't want his life to deteriorate, and he's still a young, active dog. If he was old and didn't care whether or not he got to run, I wouldn't care, but he loves to just run and frolic. And there isn't really anywhere to do that around here that allows dogs. So I'll have to do some searching and come up with a solution.

It's just so much easier too just to take everyone together after work. I only have two hours between the time I get home and bed time, so it'll be a bit challenging.

Also, I want to move out with my girls as soon as I can and I don't want to make my mom feel inept, but I do worry about her ability to have a mildly DA/SSA dog with mild leash reactivity to boot. She's not a bad dog owner, but she's not as good with body language as I am. I probably shouldn't worry and just let her live with him her way, but I can't help it. Ugh.
I have a dog like this ... my parents dog, when the other dogs play, she runs in the middle of them & starts biting the dogs who are playing. If she does it its an automatic time out & a firm "NO!" & the frequency of when she does this has diminished vastly.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Big Dog

Got to assist with my first training class last night! Yep, love it as much as I thought I would. Also, training people to train dogs and training the dog yourself are two different skill sets! It went well I think!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I'm starting to get worried about how the addition of Puppy is going to effect Wesley. This past summer when my sister lived away from home/him, he got really, really attached to me. Initially when she came home, he went back to being clingy with her, but it wore off and has now turned into following me everywhere, even when she is home and available. Like right now, he's asleep on top of me while she's accessible in another room. Once the puppy comes home, I won't be able to spend nearly as much time with him...I just worry because I think he's thinking I'm his primary care taker. Bleh.
It might take some adjusting, but I am sure everything will be ok. :-)

I guess it's a little different with an only dog, but all of my dogs have adjusted just fine to a new dog taking up some of the time that used to be theirs. It just takes a little bit of time for everyone to find their groove and figure things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I have a dog like this ... my parents dog, when the other dogs play, she runs in the middle of them & starts biting the dogs who are playing. If she does it its an automatic time out & a firm "NO!" & the frequency of when she does this has diminished vastly.
Yeah, no, not quite. That to me would just be more of an extreme 'fun police' type situation. This is full out "I don't like that you growled first and now I want to really hurt you" aggression. Like seriously came flying from across the field, snarling, growling, barking, hackles raised, and I think he did grab the other dog for a split second before my very loud yell shocked him, and he would have gone after the dog again had I not been in the exact right place to block and grab him. Prior to that more extreme incident, signs were more subtle. Stiffening of his body, slightly lip curl, stuff like that. Which is still inappropriate, but when it first happened I thought it might have just been that particular dog as it was totally out of character for him. Now I know it likely was not a one off thing, and no amount of "time outs" or telling him to knock it off is going to help.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN

Last edited by Toller_08; 09-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Panzer looks like his Daddy * Sorry for the huge picture. Actually No I am not. More of PAN!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Yeah, no, not quite. That to me would just be more of an extreme 'fun police' type situation. This is full out "I don't like that you growled first and now I want to really hurt you" aggression. Like seriously came flying from across the field, snarling, growling, barking, hackles raised, and I think he did grab the other dog for a split second before my very loud yell shocked him, and he would have gone after the dog again had I not been in the exact right place to block and grab him. Prior to that more extreme incident, signs were more subtle. Stiffening of his body, slightly lip curl, stuff like that. Which is still inappropriate, but when it first happened I thought it might have just been that particular dog as it was totally out of character for him. Now I know it likely was not a one off thing, and no amount of "time outs" or telling him to knock it off is going to help.
That's how Blackie was. He got to the point where I could have him out in public/etc. on leash and he would ignore other dogs, but if another dog growled or acted aggressive in any way he would become aggressive. In 4H dog obedience he let a little Golden puppy climb over him after it broke its down stay (and before the owner could grab it), but when a cattle dog snarked two dogs ahead of me during a heeling exercise he was ready to kill it.

I've always had DA dogs in one regard or another, until now. It is definitely a management adjustment, but it isn't the end of the world. Would you be able to get him used to wearing a basket muzzle? Then maybe if/when your mom becomes his sole caretaker, you can worry less about her having to micromanage him if he's wearing the muzzle just as a precaution.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
There is a boxer that comes to my work named Niko. I ALWAYS call her Juno before I correct myself and call her Niko. You'd think that since she essentially has the same name as MY dog that that would be an easy one, but no, it's always Juno/Niko.
HA I love this.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Abrams was barking and being annoying and I yelled, "Chloe, shut up!" You know your dog is annoying when you yell at it and say your other dogs' name whom you haven't lived with for the past year and a half.

Also...went out to mom's tonight for my sister's birthday dinner. Chloe has grey hairs. Around her eyes and down her muzzle, she's starting to get grey. She's only 6 1/2! She's not allowed to be old! I told her this evening our lives used to be a lot simpler, when it was just her and me, and that was all we had to worry about. Then life happened, and my life changes and her anxiety/aggression issues just couldn't mesh, so she's still at home and I'm going to be off who knows where next year. Kind of made me sad. She was supposed to be my Abrams, and life just had other plans. But, she's happy and I'm happy, and I guess that's the main thing.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:16 AM
orange iguanas.

It's funny how oftentimes I consider Juno this annoying, ill-behaved beast. I think of all the mistakes I made with her, all the issues we still have, all the frustration she used to cause me. And yet... now that my mom is considering a puppy. I think of how awesome Juno is. And all the little things I take for granted, that maybe a new puppy wouldn't be as awesome at? What if the dog is impossible to crate train or hates having its nails clipped or doesn't get along with every other dog/creature it meets or is never reliable off leash or hell, never reliable ON leash...

Suddenly Juno becomes the best dog on the planet. At her core she is a REALLY GOOD dog. Makes me sad that I don't realize it until I start thinking of all the things that could have gone bad.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Agility freak!

Today the negibour next door had is Akita out, and was letting him border our property line, on his flexi, of course. Simi often has verbal arguments with this puppy.

Simi and I had just been heading out to play in the backyard, so she was on her long line, toy in mouth and she saw him, raised her back hair but never lunged at him, didn't drop the toy, and right away came to me for tugging and playing. YAY SIMI MOSTER!

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Top Dog

Toller:
Bicycling him might be an idear.
It will tired him and give you,one on one time which might not be a bad idear.