Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't dabble well either. That's how deciding to try Mia in the intro to nosework class for kicks has become 'take both dogs through all the nosework classes possible, join a nosework mailing list, go to sniff and goes, order kits, participate in the nosework tread, and talk to people who train real detection dogs...'

I wish there were trials here. I am sooo ready.

I'm a bit scared I expand on to what we are doing. I'm afraid i will be hooked by disc especially. Seems right up my alley.

The only thing I've managed to dabble in is rally and that's because I don't like it. Lol
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I don't know if I dapple in anything but agility. That said I do love exploring.

We're in IPO and obedience (which I consider to be closely related) full fledge.

We do dock dogs when we can but we consider it our "for fun" sport. It's a blast to see what the dogs can do and how much better they can perform with advancements in handling but we're still pretty inactive considering the low number of jumps up here compared to the south west.

Barnhunt is getting more and more active and it's a great alternative to tracking, based more on a hunting ability as opposed to a prey instinct(Course) and as opposed to an obedience exercise(IPO).

After that we are excited to just be out there with our dogs and ever testing the versatility of the breeds we choose to play with.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

For those who do dog sports, why did you pick your sport(s)?

I used to teach agility classes before I ever did it (yeah, one of THOSE places), and always wished I had a dog I could play with. Meg came along, and was the anti-agility prospect, but I tried anyway. It completely changed her life, and mine.

What are the pros/cons for you?

The people are phenomenal (mostly). The community feel is huge. The excitement is great. My dogs love it, and I can see it change them in ways I like.

I wish I had more money to play more. That's a con, right? Access to equipment is also tough, especially living in a condo without land.

Is it what you expected?

So much better.

What's the cost of participating like?

More than I should admit to.

How much time do you put in?

1 hour class a week; 1 or 2 practice sessions which are 2 hours. Some seminars. Trialing. Work on some non-equipment skills at home a few times a week.

How far do you travel for it?

Kentucky is the furthest I've gone (17 hours) for Cynosport. I can generally trial 3 weekends a month within 3 hours, which is my usual comfort zone. I did 4.5 hours this weekend because some friends were chairing a trial I wanted to support, and the venue was so great I'll keep going.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

I didn't really pick Flyball. A friend of mine, who was a year ago just a customer, started talking to me about it at work and worked at me for like 5 months trying to get me to join. Then I decided to go to a practice once, didn't really know what to think, but liked the people and decided to stick it out and see what came of it.

Pros:

The biggest one for me, and the main reason I play it, is just hanging out with my team mates/friends for an entire weekend. I love my team and all of the people in it and it's fun.

Watching my dog have a blast doing something she loves.

Cons:

It's hectic. There is a lot going on at once.
It's loud. Very loud.
It's a team sport, which can be awesome, but it also means that if I screw up, I feel bad because it didn't affect just me. Thankfully I have a team that is really easygoing, but I still don't like doing things that affect others if I do something wrong.

Is it what you expected?

I think so for the most part. I didn't really have any expectations, but I guess there is slightly more to it than I realized. And it's louder than I expected haha.

For one dog, it seems to usually cost me about $60 a weekend but that includes food and stuff generally too. But compared to some other dog sports, Flyball seems pretty inexpensive to me. Even practice isn't pricey as we only cover the cost of the rental of the building, so it's usually $15 per day at most for two dogs. Cost will likely depend on where you are located though and how you train (classes, just with a team, etc.).

Really not that much. When Dance was new to it, we went to practice once a week and I took the box home as well once or twice for a week each time. It really didn't take her long to catch on, and she naturally seems to have a nice box turn, so now we just go to practice two or three times a month and mostly just because I like going and because I take Journey too. But for a trained dog, there doesn't seem to be much time involved.

So far the farthest we've travel led was three hours. Usually tournaments are within an hour or so where I live.

*I wouldn't really call Flyball 'my' sport though haha. I enjoy it, and it is fun, but mostly I go for the people. It just happens to be the only sport right now that I actively participate in.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I chose Schutzhund/IPO because the person who bred my first GSD suggested that we check out her training group. She had an "Intro to Schutzhund" class and we've been hooked ever since.

Quote:
-The time committment is both a pro and a con. Currently, I am training 5-7 days per week. Wednesday nights we start training at 9pm and dont get home until 1 or 2am, then we are back on the field Thursday afternoon at 3. Traveling for trials usually consists of a 3 day weekend, and the larger regional/national competitions can be 4-7 days off. I say its both a pro and a con because the pro is that I have the access to be able to train and practice what I love as much as I do, and my dogs achieve much more success because of the frequency in my training. The con is that it is completely and totally life consuming, and it can be conflicting with family/work time if I allow it.

Other pros:
-The amount of knowledge in relation to dog training and animal behavior that I have gained in the last 4 years is pretty unbelievable. I have been lucky enough to meet some really incredible people who have taught me some pretty amazing things that I know I would have never learned if I hadn't become involved in this sport.
-The bond with my dogs is very much different because we spend so much time working together. I feel a true partnership when working with them.
-The people that I have met while traveling around for training has been a huge bonus for me. I have made many new friends within my "dog family". I found my new young dog through training connections and even met my boyfriend through the sport.

Other cons:
-It's emotionally exhausting for me, as a woman. Pre trial nerves get to me pretty bad and my first failure was heartbreaking. I have since calmed myself during trial, but only very slightly. It's absolutely horrifying for me to go out and perform a routine out there alone in front of a ton of people.

I can't think of any other cons right now. I really just love my dogs so much more and love everything that I have learned from all the people that I have met so far.

Quote:
Is it what you expected?
Before I took the sport seriously, I was just going to the club once a week to train, so the level of the success that I achieved was to be expected. The first club that I belonged to was more of a social group, so I didn't expect too much from my own dogs, mostly because I didn't know any better. Once I realized that you get out what you put in, I changed clubs and started achieving success, my own expectations changed. I now view myself as a competitor, rather than someone who just dabbles in the sport.

Quote:
Not too bad. Club dues are usually between $250-$400/year. Trial entries are between $50-$75 typically. Most money is spent on gas. Initially, the cost of training equipment was brutal, but now that I have everything that I need, I hardly buy any more equipment at all and have had to buy hardly anything for the puppy.

Quote:
As I said above, I am currently training 5-7 days per week. Over the winter, training will slow down until we can get back outside again. At home, I practice multiple times daily, from 10-30 minutes with each dog.

Quote:
I travel all over the place lol. All over the New England Region, and all over the country for the bigger championships. Right now, I have one weekend over the span of the last 6 weeks or so that we have been home. And even then, we still train all weekend long. We still have two more months until the hectic trial season even begins to come to its close.

Quote:
Annnnd anything else you want to add. Just curious.
Becoming involved has been the best decision I've made in my life so far, and I know it has totally changed me forever.