Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapeach View Post
Penny is doing much better now,eating wet food and meowing as we walk past their room.
However now Resa has begun to sneeze and at 3 weeks...isn't she to young to take the medicine?
That would be a question to ask the vet. I'm assuming their weight is different, so she'd likely need a different dose regardless.

As for the dog with the kittens:
Honestly, if they are just fosters and won't stay permanent additions, I would just keep them seperate, at the very least until they are older and able to defend themselves/escape/not be so fragile. Reward the dog for calm behavior when she sees them, but I'd keep them 100% seperate.

When P had her kittens, we had a very strict "no touch" policy with Rose (a known cat killer). She was not allowed to go onto the porch when the kittens were there, and she respected that. Then, when the kittens were older and seemed less like prey and more like something that should be approached with caution because they have claws, we did introductions.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Big Mutts

Thanks Blackrose. The rescue should let me know shortly about the meds.
These kittens are temporary, but if we could get Gracie to like kittens..we would eventually like to keep 2.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Thanks Blackrose. The rescue should let me know shortly about the meds.
These kittens are temporary, but if we could get Gracie to like kittens..we would eventually like to keep 2.
Some dogs accept baby kittens better, but others do better when they realize they're not prey, but something else. From how you said Gracie is responding, I'd keep her seperated for now (with maybe sniffs and letting her see them from a distance while rewarding calm behavior), and then when the kittens are older let her interact physically. Since she's not intently trying to hurt them, I bet she'll do just fine when they're a bit older.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Big Mutts

Thank you! So far that's what we've been doing. When I go in the laundry room I keep my hand over the Yeager and pet her. I had been letting her smell the one who likes her, until Gracie put her mouth on her. That just scared me.
We do plan on keeping them seperate for quite a while yet.
I'm a planner so I like to know the next step in advance.
I guess when I let her smell Penny I should do it fairly quickly so she doesn't get the chance to put her mouth over her again?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

I would wait until the kittens are older before introducing them. Obi has always been good with tiny kittens but I always held them fully in my hand and let him nuzzle and lick but that was the extent of the interaction. If we had more than two, I just kept him separate because all the mewing would get him too aroused for my comfort.

I always use a syringe to feed. I find the nursing bottles just don't work for some kittens.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Big Mutts

Thanks Allison, good advice. We will be keeping seperate for quite some time yet.
Penny will not drink out of the saucer but she will let me put the syringe in the side of her mouth. I squirt a tiny bit in at a time while she sits on my knee.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
BUT THIS MORNING WHEN I HELD PENNY UP GRACIE TRIED TO PUT HER MOUTH ON HER!

What does this mean?????
Sounds to me like she was trying to hold the kitten or put it on the ground where she could check it out a little more.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Big Mutts

Thanks Mick's mom, we are only letting her smell them for a quick second.
I REALLY hope that is what she was doing but am certainly not going to take any chances.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Is she dehydrated?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Big Mutts

Both kittens are eating wet food and drinking milk out of a saucer.
But now I'm worried I'm overfeeding them. Between the 2 of them they are eating one can of wet food spaced throughout the day. They won't drink any water yet. I'm giving them 45ml.s of kitten milk (between the two) about 4 times a day. Every time I go in they want more but their little bellies,especially the little one seem very round.
Am I doing okay? Do they need less or more?