Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 09-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Twin 2

Just saw your edit. I had that trouble with both Didgie and Traveler, they weren't used to jumping on me when I was sitting like that. Honestly, I would just keep pushing and see if you can break through that.

Make a huge deal for coming in closer, any paws on you. Just break it down even more.

I just really like this method because I think it makes them more comfortable being caught and teaches both you and them how to catch and be caught safely
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Just saw your edit. I had that trouble with both Didgie and Traveler, they weren't used to jumping on me when I was sitting like that. Honestly, I would just keep pushing and see if you can break through that.

Make a huge deal for coming in closer, any paws on you. Just break it down even more.

I just really like this method because I think it makes them more comfortable being caught and teaches both you and them how to catch and be caught safely
Thank you thank you, definitely helpful!

I started sitting right down on the ground yesterday and marking/rewarding for any/all paws on me, she was getting pretty into it. Still doesn't want to go all four feet on me but I'm sure we'll get there. She seems to feel that my lap is too small, so I am also going to do more work on other small objects to get her more comfortable with that.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

Also, here's a little compilation of clips I put together of a few recent sessions. She is getting SO much better about bringing the disc all the way back, and is just all in all super jazzed up about this whole game. She can't get enough of it!

Excuse a few of the super wonky throws, this is my last remaining disc and it is super mangled and has a few holes in it, so it really doesn't fly very well. I have an order of new disc hopefully coming SOON in the mail!

Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
Thank you thank you, definitely helpful!

I started sitting right down on the ground yesterday and marking/rewarding for any/all paws on me, she was getting pretty into it. Still doesn't want to go all four feet on me but I'm sure we'll get there. She seems to feel that my lap is too small, so I am also going to do more work on other small objects to get her more comfortable with that.
Yay! Yeah, I started it with Didgie a few times and then stopped because she wasn't getting the getting on my lap part. But one day I just said "We're doing it." and broke it down farther and it worked! Once they get the jumping onto your lap part the rest starts to move faster!

And I don't know how she is about you grabbing her but that, after she's good jumping on your lap, might be something to start phasing in before you need to. Just you wrapping your arms around her when she lands to mimic catching her.

Good luck!! I can't wait to see a video of it when you have it down and know you won't get any sympathy just empathy from me when she starts launching herself at you!

And your video looks great! Her leg weaves are AWESOME!!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Yay! Yeah, I started it with Didgie a few times and then stopped because she wasn't getting the getting on my lap part. But one day I just said "We're doing it." and broke it down farther and it worked! Once they get the jumping onto your lap part the rest starts to move faster!

And I don't know how she is about you grabbing her but that, after she's good jumping on your lap, might be something to start phasing in before you need to. Just you wrapping your arms around her when she lands to mimic catching her.

Good luck!! I can't wait to see a video of it when you have it down and know you won't get any sympathy just empathy from me when she starts launching herself at you!

And your video looks great! Her leg weaves are AWESOME!!
Thanks for the support, totally worked, yay! She'll now jump happily into my lap while I'm sitting, have yet to phase it to me leaning against something but I'm sure it will go well.

Here's video I took today, also with reverse leg weaves which we've been working on.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Thanks for the support, totally worked, yay! She'll now jump happily into my lap while I'm sitting, have yet to phase it to me leaning against something but I'm sure it will go well.

Here's video I took today, also with reverse leg weaves which we've been working on.

OMG I LOVE YOU. ok so that may have been a bit dramatic, but seriously thank you! I don't know why I thought the only way to teach a dog backwards weaving was through pedestal work.

I taught Talon to go backwards through my legs a week or two ago, now I can actually see the way to teaching a backwards leg weave!!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Twin 2

YAY!!! Nice going Kootenay!! It looks great! I'm really happy that it started to work for you too, I bet that will also make her more willing to do things off your body now for later things.

Did you ever find anyone "near" you to practice with or any comps?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
OMG I LOVE YOU. ok so that may have been a bit dramatic, but seriously thank you! I don't know why I thought the only way to teach a dog backwards weaving was through pedestal work.

I taught Talon to go backwards through my legs a week or two ago, now I can actually see the way to teaching a backwards leg weave!!
Haha! Awesome! Glad I could be of help.

Onyx does have pretty good rear end awareness and can pivot and back up in heel position, so it was really easy to transition to this, she picked it up really fast.

Quote:
YAY!!! Nice going Kootenay!! It looks great! I'm really happy that it started to work for you too, I bet that will also make her more willing to do things off your body now for later things.

Did you ever find anyone "near" you to practice with or any comps?
Yeah I'm stoked, definitely will be easier for her to fling herself at me from now on (definitely a good thing).

And not really, just in Alberta, apparently there are no disc clubs in BC (yet). So I guess I will travel to Alberta for some stuff! And hopefully BC will become cool soon.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Twin 2

I'm so freaking out this week. I have one last Disc comp for the year coming up on Saturday and I've moved up to the top level for this one and I feel completely and utterly unprepared.

I've been preparing, I've been working on stuff but now that I'm in Open I'm overthinking everything. I know that I'll get there, have lots of fun and be happy no matter what but the anticipation of it is killing me.

I had to rework the routine I had figured out because I just wasn't able to gather the discs back up for each part (it's going to be Skyhoundz so only five discs allowed) and Didgie is so bad at bringing them back when we're doing a routine. Any other time she's golden but when she's freaking out in anticipation of the next throw she drops far out. Which, totally my fault and I have trouble being consistent with.

But I cracked down on it today (nothing like leaving it to the last minute) and the way I reworked my routine seems to flow better and gets the discs closer to me. By the time I left the field I had Didgie bringing the discs back to hand when I would run away from her, fall down, bend over, run at her etc. And then I would give giant tug session if she brought them all the way to hand.

So if I can get her to do that at the comp and if I can REMEMBER my routine I should be ok, but still freaking out!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Also, here's a little compilation of clips I put together of a few recent sessions. She is getting SO much better about bringing the disc all the way back, and is just all in all super jazzed up about this whole game. She can't get enough of it!

Excuse a few of the super wonky throws, this is my last remaining disc and it is super mangled and has a few holes in it, so it really doesn't fly very well. I have an order of new disc hopefully coming SOON in the mail!

Wow; she looks fantastic! She is just having a ball, isn't she?

Brit & Jackson