Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Big Mutts

Default New babies need help already! URGENT

We picked up two kittens from the shelter to foster today. They are roughly 3 and 4weeks old.
The youngest is doing fine drinking kitten formula out of a saucer and eating some wet food.
But Penny has only eaten .7 on the bottle formula. Her eyes are runny but it's clear and she's congested, sneezing. I think she has a uri.
She has peed and pooped but won't eat, hasn't eaten sine 7 pm and it's almost 3 am now.
Should I make her take the bottle?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

She needs meds for the uri, both kittens will more than likely as it goes from kitten to kitten quite fast if that's what it is. If she won't eat I would syringe or eye dropper her small amounts at a time.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Yup, that URI needs to be taken care of quickly, and as has been mentioned, probably wouldn't hurt to treat the other kitten two as he'll likely contract it if it is indeed a URI.
Make sure she stays warm, and I'd be offering the bottle frequently (and force feeding small amounts throughout the day if she won't willingly drink). Weigh her (and the other kitten) daily to make sure they're gaining weight appropriately. If they aren't growing normally, or worse yet, loosing weight, something needs to be done asap. After having numerous bottle babies and having orphan kittens in at work...don't treat any sign of illness lightly. It can go from "okay" to "serious" in the blink of an eye, especially if they are very young.

So totally did not mean for my post to be scary, I'm sure they'll both be just fine.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Big Mutts

Thank you both VERY much for responding. Cari from rescue is sending some medicine over now. Also a syringe to forcefeed her a small bit several times as you mentioned. She has bitten the end off from two nipples. I warmed a towel in the dryer and they are cuddled up in it now. Cari also mentioned putting her in a steamy bathroom for her congestion.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Big Mutts

Penny ate a syringe full of milk ( under protest). Then she ate some wet food. She is still making coughing sounds, especially right after I fed her the milk. But I think she's feeling somewhat better because she tried to climb out of the babygate.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Good! URI's can be so nasty and often lead to secondary eye issues, we just went through this when we found Dobby! After his course of meds he's been right as rain.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Big Mutts

Penny is doing much better now,eating wet food and meowing as we walk past their room.
However now Resa has begun to sneeze and at 3 weeks...isn't she to young to take the medicine?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Big Mutts

Also need help on introducing babies to our dog Gracie.
I let her smell them on us and then see and smell them in their crate.
Now they are in the laundry room with a gate acrossed it.
Gracie sticks her head over the gate to look at them even though it pushes against her throat.
I pet her over the gate when I sit in there with them and she gets extra attention when I come out.
This morning J let her smell all over the blanket they've been sleeping on.
A few times I held Penny butt first (Penny keeps trying to crawl up me to see Gracie) up to Gracie and she smells over her.......
BUT THIS MORNING WHEN I HELD PENNY UP GRACIE TRIED TO PUT HER MOUTH ON HER!

What does this mean?????
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

did she snap for the kitten or slowly try and put her mouth around the kitten? Could she have been trying to pick it up like she would a puppy?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Big Mutts

Ruffiangirl,She didn't snap but did try to put her whole mouth around the kitten.
To be honest it scared me to death so I haven't let her smell one since.
Is this a good sign? I wondered if she might be trying to put her smell on them.
How can you tell if she wants to eat them? ??!!!
I've never had dogs and cats together.