Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I seriously know nothing about allergies - I had no idea that food allergies were not common! It seems like I hear about them a lot, but I hardly ever hear about environmental. I do think it's weird Mu is affected so badly but Murphy and Tipper hardly at all. The only strange thing for them is how incredibly much they're shedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
If it were my dog, I think I would treating it as possible seasonal by boosting up some supps/herbs to help with allergies. Seasonal allergies are HORRID this year here, for both people and dogs. Then if thinking its food, start with cutting out all extra treats.

This article has some ideas for helping
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s_15640-1.html
Thanks for the link! I skimmed it yesterday but hopefully I'll have time to take a closer look today. What supplements would you start with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Environmental allergies are AWFUL this year. A lot of dogs who have never had problems before are having problems this year. True food allergies are relatively uncommon compared to environmental allergies.
Given that info I'm guessing that this is environmental, not food. What would you recommend in that case? Do people give benadryl every day and/or multiple times a day? Is that okay?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Given that info I'm guessing that this is environmental, not food. What would you recommend in that case? Do people give benadryl every day and/or multiple times a day? Is that okay?
You can start with antihistamines. Some dogs respond really well to them and others don't seem to. There are a couple of herbal formulas that I've had good results with, too. One is Kan's Damp Heat Derma and the other is Herbsmith's Clear AllerQi. Some dogs might need stronger medications.

In the long run, if this is confirmed as environmental and is an ongoing seasonal problem, I can't say enough good things about allergy shots. They've transformed Pip's life, no exaggeration. He's almost a normal dog.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

Is there any symptom "marker" that generally says "Yup this is food" vs "Nope, all environmental"?

Logan's been SUPER itchy and sheddy and flaky and crusty this year when he never really was. I've switched him to a food with no chicken/peas/potatoes to see if it helps, but it's been less than a week so I can't say yet. He's been on benedryl and/or pred almost the entire summer He never gets yeasty/infected ears, though, which is why I ask about symptoms. He's on antibiotics for the 4th or 5th time this year.

Is there an antihistamine, besides benedryl, that you recommend? I meant to take a picture of our antihistamine dosage chart before I left the clinic, but I forgot >.<
Old 09-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

One thing I've heard good things about is boosting the Omega 3s to "anti-inflammatory" level, which is about 50mg/kg. I use the Grizzly Pollock oil because I have to give the least to reach that amount.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Is there any symptom "marker" that generally says "Yup this is food" vs "Nope, all environmental"?
Personally, I don't think so. And every dog is different in where they get their symptoms.

Quote:
Is there an antihistamine, besides benedryl, that you recommend? I meant to take a picture of our antihistamine dosage chart before I left the clinic, but I forgot >.<
You can use almost any antihistamine, really. For whatever reason, I've had the best luck with Zyrtec and Claritin this year. Some years a particular one seems to work better than others.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 PM
orange iguanas.

Allergies have been wicked this year. Pretty much every single day it's a guarantee that we'll have at least one "itchy dog" appointment scheduled and many times the story is "he's never had allergies before." The consensus also seems to be that most people are not noticing an improvement by giving Benadryl.

Unfortunately lots of them end up just getting put on steroids.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Silence, peasants.

This is good to know, Wesley has been super itchy as of late. Thought it was his food, but could very well be seasonal. I know mine are raging right now.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 09-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I feel like I live in a bubble now. I was just thinking how non-itchy Ren has been this year/how his allergies really haven't been affecting him

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Top Dog

Zander has been super itchy and yeasty smelling this year too. He's on Fromm, and he's been on different varieties of grain-free Fromm for the last two years off and on, so I really didn't think it would be the food. But he's allergic to....everything. So there isn't any telling. I'll probably switch him back to a fish-based food, put him on Solid Gold's Seameal and start raw eggs again. His coat and skin were best with that combo, so I'll go back to it and see if it makes any changes.

We didn't have these issues up north either. It was only when we moved from Montana back to Memphis area.