Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

This thread is awesome! A lot of good questions added o the thread I had before. I want puppy now!!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I don't mind some noise - I have a cockatoo, after all. But Poe is really a pretty quiet bird, and I'd like to keep it that way.
I'll tell you, Calypso the Conure and the Koolies like to feed off of eachother. He screams and they run around barking to find out what he screamed at. They bark and he screams because something might be happening.

But, I've never accused by Sun of being quiet

Feel free to pm me anytime if you have other questions or just want to talk Koolies!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I'll tell you, Calypso the Conure and the Koolies like to feed off of eachother. He screams and they run around barking to find out what he screamed at. They bark and he screams because something might be happening.

I never noticed your dogs barking in your house but it's entirely possible I just couldn't hear them over Calypso lol :P

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't plan to get serious about Schutzhund. That's where I'd like to go with agility, but the Schutzhund would be more for fun and to see how far we could go. The club I like up here has two boxers, but I don't know enough to say how "off" they are as breeds in the sport compared to Koolies. They don't have a super serious attitude, so I think they'd be open to it, but I may have moved to Oregon (probably Ashland) by the time I'd be getting into that.
Boxers aren't really an off breed for protection, not any more so than Rotties or Dobes anyway. They are definitely less common than GSDs, Mals or Dutchies but they were used historically as guard dogs among other things. My understanding is that Koolies aren't guardy or protective and that such a temperament would be undesirable in them. You can train a dog all in prey to do bitework as a tug game but you need to be pretty clear that is all it will ever be when starting off. And as such, grip and willingness to really spar with a person may be an issue.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I love Koolie threads.
Me too. They make me want one. As in, seriously-considering-it-a-few-years-down-the-road want one. I think a Zip Tie would be perfect for me (although Rowan would prefer a female Zip)

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

Feel free to pm me anytime if you have other questions or just want to talk Koolies!
Poe will alarm scream if she sees a moose staring in the window at her, and Zoe has learned to use this (Poe screaming - since it very rarely happens) as a signal to go find the thing outside to bark at. And of course, if Zoe barks, Poe will scream. Because noise. But she's overall a quiet bird. Not easy to live with. Just quiet. A dog barking all the time would give her an excuse to be a PIB in new ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Boxers aren't really an off breed for protection, not any more so than Rotties or Dobes anyway. They are definitely less common than GSDs, Mals or Dutchies but they were used historically as guard dogs among other things. My understanding is that Koolies aren't guardy or protective and that such a temperament would be undesirable in them. You can train a dog all in prey to do bitework as a tug game but you need to be pretty clear that is all it will ever be when starting off. And as such, grip and willingness to really spar with a person may be an issue.
Got it. One of the clubs nearest me (and by that I mean 3-4 hours away, depending on where they're working) is all about putting having fun and bonding with your dog. Not that they aren't serious about it, but they make it clear that they are about making it fun. Some clubs I sense a different attitude from, so this one seems like they'd be more open to a breed that wasn't quite like the norm. The other club I looked at seems to be pretty much all GSDs.

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 09-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Got it. One of the clubs nearest me (and by that I mean 3-4 hours away, depending on where they're working) is all about putting having fun and bonding with your dog. Not that they aren't serious about it, but they make it clear that they are about making it fun. Some clubs I sense a different attitude from, so this one seems like they'd be more open to a breed that wasn't quite like the norm. The other club I looked at seems to be pretty much all GSDs.
I wouldn't judge a club on that necessarily. I mean, a lot of clubs are mostly GSDs. Schutzhund was actually developed as a temperament test for GSDs This club around here is pretty serious about the sport and have mostly GSDs, a few Mals, a few Rotties and I think a couple American Bulldogs. This club has a great reputation and their helper is well respected. They were extremely welcoming to people interested in the sport and accepted all breeds. I remember a couple brought a very soft BC mix and the helper actually laid on the ground to try to get the dog to tug with him.

A club who says they're all about fun is fine...as long as they are knowledgeable. You really need a knowledge helper, even if you're just doing it for fun. Most things actually end up being more fun to participate in if the people you are working with are knowledgeable about the sport. Not to mention safer. A police dog in my area broke his neck during protection practice when he wasn't caught properly That isn't to say people in the club you mention aren't knowledgeable - I have no idea if they are or not obviously If they are knowledgeable, welcome all breeds and people who just want to dabble in the sport as well as those who want to compete then they might be a great fit for you. Although be warned, it is a hard sport to just dabble in LOL
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
Me too. They make me want one. As in, seriously-considering-it-a-few-years-down-the-road want one. I think a Zip Tie would be perfect for me (although Rowan would prefer a female Zip)
You are more than welcome to take a Zip Tie. Needy, shadow puppy is a pain in my butt. You might just have to ninja him out without my husband seeing, he's kind of fond of that little bugger.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Show Dog

Had never really heard of Koolies before but these threads make them sound like really fun dogs. They're probably a bit more high energy than I'd like and I'm likely to only ever get shelter mutts but man they sound like cool dogs.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I wouldn't judge a club on that necessarily. I mean, a lot of clubs are mostly GSDs. Schutzhund was actually developed as a temperament test for GSDs This club around here is pretty serious about the sport and have mostly GSDs, a few Mals, a few Rotties and I think a couple American Bulldogs. This club has a great reputation and their helper is well respected. They were extremely welcoming to people interested in the sport and accepted all breeds. I remember a couple brought a very soft BC mix and the helper actually laid on the ground to try to get the dog to tug with him.

A club who says they're all about fun is fine...as long as they are knowledgeable. You really need a knowledge helper, even if you're just doing it for fun. Most things actually end up being more fun to participate in if the people you are working with are knowledgeable about the sport. Not to mention safer. A police dog in my area broke his neck during protection practice when he wasn't caught properly That isn't to say people in the club you mention aren't knowledgeable - I have no idea if they are or not obviously If they are knowledgeable, welcome all breeds and people who just want to dabble in the sport as well as those who want to compete then they might be a great fit for you. Although be warned, it is a hard sport to just dabble in LOL
I just really agree with all of fhis